I dont understand

Options
I did 60-90 minutes of cardio EVERYDAY this week, I counted every thing that went into my mouth, which some days wasn't the best stuff ie: amish friendship bread, 7 layer bars and I gained 1.5#. Granted I am supposed to start TOM this week BUT how can that and a couple pastries negate the 4200-6300 calories that I burned this week?? According to my food diary and exercise diary I didnt go over calories any day and a few days I had 300 calories remaining at the end of the day. I am just soooo frustrated. I know it's about the long haul but I don't think I can spend that much time at the gym every night just to see a pound or 2 a month loss.

Replies

• fiddlechic
    fiddlechic Posts: 196
    Options
    I did 60-90 minutes of cardio EVERYDAY this week, I counted every thing that went into my mouth, which some days wasn't the best stuff ie: amish friendship bread, 7 layer bars and I gained 1.5#. Granted I am supposed to start TOM this week BUT how can that and a couple pastries negate the 4200-6300 calories that I burned this week?? According to my food diary and exercise diary I didnt go over calories any day and a few days I had 300 calories remaining at the end of the day. I am just soooo frustrated. I know it's about the long haul but I don't think I can spend that much time at the gym every night just to see a pound or 2 a month loss.
  • scottc
    scottc Posts: 72
    Options
    Stick with it, you can do it. Remember, it's a lifestyle change, not just a weight change. Keep up the good work and continue to let yourself enjoy the good stuff every now and then you don't feel like it is about what you can't eat, but about what you can eat. Have a wonderful day!
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're eating enough! :flowerforyou: Hang in there!
  • Binkylove
    Binkylove Posts: 161
    Options
    Apparently you are supposed to eat all your calorie allowance for the day plus eat your exersise calories too!!!!. There are people that know a lot more about this than me on this site hopefully someone else can help you.

Wishing you well on your weight loss journey.

Pamela :flowerforyou:
  • GlassKisses
    GlassKisses Posts: 79
    Options
    Eat ALL of your calories. Including exercise calories. If you put your body into starvation mode by not eating enough, it will make losing weight a LOT harder. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • dolphin7
    dolphin7 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I don't know how long you've been on MFP, but I've been on here for a year now, and have hit many plateau's which are so frustrating, but I can tell I'm building muscle mass, my legs and arms are so much stronger, maybe this is what you are doing, and sometimes that can make you gain weight, but the key is to stick with it, don't quit, its taken me a year to lose 38 lbs., and I still have about 35-40 lbs. more to go, but I don't want to quit. Also maybe try switching up your cardio doing other things besides the gym, bike rides, long walks, gardening, mowing the lawn, all of these things can help, and work your body in different ways. The Amish bread maybe that's our downfall, we just went through that in our house, 5th grade project, the bread is so yummy, I'm convinced it hampers weight loss. It's just too good, to pass up. Good luck on your journey.
  • Thin4payton
    Thin4payton Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I did not know I was supposted to eat the burned calories too! That may be the problem I'm having! thanks for the info!!
  • mandyc1108
    mandyc1108 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat.....are you keeping track of inches lost too? Everyone is so focused on the scale number, but really you should be focusing on inches too! Number on the scale is not really the best indicator of your overall progress.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hows your sodium intake? MFP has it set to 2500mg I know for myself I have to have the daily minimum 1500mg...........2500mg is daily max
  • staclo
    staclo Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I understand your frustration. I have a few thoughts about this. First of all, I have noticed that I'm losing weight more slowly than with any diet I've tried before. However, I also feel that I'm getting more healthy than I've been in a really long time. So for me, it's worth it.

Also, how much strength training are you doing? Are you combining cardio and strength, or just doing cardio? From the studies I've heard about and talking to my trainer, the combination is much more effective than cardio alone. I'm using the book "Are You Ready," by Bob Harper to get ideas about strength workouts to do at home (there is also a ton of other good info in there).

Finally, are you eating healthy for the most part? Aside from counting calories, eating healthy with the right foods and the right combination of foods is important as well.

Don't give up! Just use each experience to learn from, to find out what works for you, and to continue to change your habits! You can do it!! :)
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged!

I agree with changing up your routine...

I started at the same time you did and I've lost the same amount you have. I also get frustrated sometimes, but I remind myself of all the things I can do, now that I'm more active... I can walk 6 miles at one time. I can stay on the eliptical for over an hour, I can rollerblade around a 4.5 mile path, 4 times.... the first time I went rollerblading, I could barely breath going around 1 time :laugh: All these

TOM will mess with you, and the scale is it's evil assistant :wink: Are your clothes fitting better? Mine are. Has anyone noticed your loss so far? Patience and consistency will get you to your GOAL! and just think of it, when you reach it, you can say... I did it all by myself and I can do it again!

Good luck to ya!
  • ngwife4life
    ngwife4life Posts: 569
    Options
    Give yourself about 2 more weeks before you get really discouraged. I've noticed the weeks I work my butt off and I know I did every thing right, I'll barely lose. But the following week, I'll drop 1.5-2 pounds. Sometimes our bodies are just slow and we have to give them time to catch up to what we're doing! If you are still having this problem after 1-2 more weeks, then start messing with your calories, the quality of food, sodium, etc. And don't forget to take your measurements! The scale will not define us!!!