Paul McKenna "I Can Make You Thin"

Options
Did anyone catch this show on TLC tonight??? I was glued to my seat! Everything he said made so much sense but for whatever reason most of us just don't do it. I can't wait until tomorrow to start eating like a thin person!!!

Replies

• proudmumoftwo
    Options
    Did anyone catch this show on TLC tonight??? I was glued to my seat! Everything he said made so much sense but for whatever reason most of us just don't do it. I can't wait until tomorrow to start eating like a thin person!!!
  • sarahbearbear
    Options
    Yeah I watched that too! A lot of it seemed so obvious, it's surprising people don't do that already. For those of you who didn't watch, his tips *four golden rules* were:

1. Eat when you are hungry (physically hungry, not emotionally)
    2. Eat what you want, not what you feel you ought to (Eat food that inspires you - inmoderation!)
    3. Eat consciously (Don't just shovel it in in front of the tv. Take a bite, put down your fork and knife, chew completely, swallow, then repeat. Savor every bite! It will make it more easy to recognize your body's "I'm full" signal. You don't have to clean your plate!)
    4. Stop eating when you are full. (Even if you only suspect you are full - STOP! (Close your eyes, and get "in tune" with your stomach. So what if you're hungry again twenty minutes later? Just refer to step one!)
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I watched it too and you know what... everything he said I already knew and others have told us but we don't really listen for our own reasons.

But I am going to to continue watching because he seems like he really cares and he's not trying to push a diet on anyone.

I do eat what I want.... but just too much and I also eat emotionally. So I can't wait till next week to see what else he says. For once, its nice to hear it instead of reading it in his books.

What I am going to do now is close my eye inbetween bites, so I can really know what I am full. I am fine at work because I sit in a quiet area and eat slowly and then read when I am done but at home its another story.
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I watched it tonight, I agree with eating slow and tasing every bite, chewing 20 times. I am going to stick with my calorie counting and exercise until I see more of his shows. He really had my attention:smile:
  • greysweatshirt
    Options
    Thanks for posting! I only cost the last 10 minutes or so...good to hear the important stuff
  • catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    Options
    We don't get it until later tonight and I'll miss most of it, so I'll catch it later this week. I just checked the line up, since I'll be gone for vacation, and there is a marathon on the thirteenth of April so if I miss any of them, I can catch tjem all then. I'd like to know some fo the tips before leaving for vacation though.
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I watched it tonight, I agree with eating slow and tasing every bite, chewing 20 times. I am going to stick with my calorie counting and exercise until I see more of his shows. He really had my attention:smile:

I agree. I have started listening to my body and eating more slowly as well.....
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting! I only cost the last 10 minutes or so...good to hear the important stuff
    They gave a web site if you would like to check it out........www.TLC.com/thin
  • missk04
    missk04 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have to check the website out since I missed it. I am a fast eater and I'm trying to train myself to eat slower and enjoy my food. I'm also an emotional eater too,
  • catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    Options
    apparently there are 6 shows in the series and they show on several different days on TLC. so I'll catch this first one later this week, maybe tomorrow. And I'll look up and see when the others are, maybe I can catch part two on vacation, then I'll be back before number three.
  • jojom
    jojom Posts: 20
    Options
    I bought the book and cd - it all looks like it makes sense and is just basic logic, but actually putting it into practise is another matter. He says you can eat anything you want as long as you are hungry and then stop when you feel full. You put chocolate cake in front of me when I am hungry, there is no way I would be able to stop when I am full!!!!!

I have just taken some of his recommendations, like eat slowly and try to evaluate how hungry I am before eating - but for me I have to follow a calorie controlled diet. Maybe its just me I HAVE NO SELF CONTROL!!!:devil:
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I bought the book and cd - it all looks like it makes sense and is just basic logic, but actually putting it into practise is another matter. He says you can eat anything you want as long as you are hungry and then stop when you feel full. You put chocolate cake in front of me when I am hungry, there is no way I would be able to stop when I am full!!!!!

I have just taken some of his recommendations, like eat slowly and try to evaluate how hungry I am before eating - but for me I have to follow a calorie controlled diet. Maybe its just me I HAVE NO SELF CONTROL!!!:devil:

I am with you on this. I think he has some good advice, but I think you also have to be careful. Just b/c his plan works for some, it may not work for all. I think moderation is KEY in a healthy lifestyle. I think that every once in a while you do deserve a little treat, but eating what you want every day...OMG, ff's, pizza, mexican....it just would not work for me. I think of those things as treats every once in a while. First off, they are full of cholesterol and fat and that even in daily moderation is not healthy for you. I think the key thing is learning HOW to eat things that will make your life more productive and longer and all those things he is telling us to throw out the window are those kind of foods. I will keep watching just to see what other advice he has and take it all with a grain of salt. REMEMBER, he is getting paid by TLC to "sell" a TV show to a bunch of overweight and miserable Americans. Just my opinion, take it for that and nothing else.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I too was intrigued, but as an emotional eater, I've had to learn what hunger and fullness feel like. I still have days I'm not sure about either.

Here's an article about different kinds of hunger that has helped me.

http://www.findingbalance.com/libraries/eatwell/keys/hunger.asp

If I ate "when I was hungry" emotionally, but not physically, I'd be in big trouble. And "what I really want to eat" even now after years of healthy eating is sometimes an entire pie. I wish I was exaggerating.
  • kitty1256
    kitty1256 Posts: 45
    Options
    I have to say.....

I watched the show last night and got up this morning and decided to try some of his tips. I tried it this morning for breakfast - I ate it slow...put down my bagel between bites....and half way through, I realized that I thought I was full, so I stopped eating. I think that his program requires a HUGE amount of self control, but like he said on tv, if you even THINK you are full, stop eating. Put the chocolate cake or pizza or whatever away, and if you are hungry again in 10 minutes, then eat, because the first rule is that you are supposed to eat when you are hungry.

Even if you think it sounds stupid, try it once. And definitely watch the show before you try to do it on your own without having heard what he had to say.
  • kitty1256
    kitty1256 Posts: 45
    Options
    One of the other things that he suggested is that we all need to stop weighing ourselves every day because it is not an accurate representation of our weight loss - our weight is constantly going to go up and down throughout our lives, and if we step on the scale and don't see what we want to, we will already be having a bad day. He suggested to weigh ourselves once every other week or once a month.
  • GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I was already eating this way, and drinking lots of water in between it....
    I did it for a month or so and then kinda slacked off, and now I am back at it again...lol