Help with a stone to go

Options
Hi guys,

I've managed to lose half of what I needed to (yay!) but now I'm down to just about a stone to lose and I'm worried as I know this is the toughest bit!

Are there any groups / advice out there for people in a similar situation?

Thanks!

Melanie

Replies

• mrsc86
    mrsc86 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I don't know of any groups but I can say it will be tough and slow - but the slower the better in my opinion. I only have a stone left to shift and had the same thoughts as you but you can do this! my goal is to lose a stone by March - 12 weeks, 14 lbs. My only advice is to keep strong and keep going
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    well, the closer you get to your goal, the more you should be eating. weird, i know, but it's true. so you have about 6 kilos to go, i would make your weight loss per week a half kilo, and then when you are 3 kilos to go, go to a quarter kilo.

also, this is going to be the time to reanalyze your diet. you may have to start cutting out more sugary parts of the diet, and some of the carbs. not saying you can't have them once in a while, but whatever you were eating, eat half of that.

the last few pounds are the hardest. just be paitent, because unfortunatly this won't be easy. if you aren't doing strength training, i recommend you start.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I only have about a stone to go also. I'm focusing on toning and strength this year and losing the last few inches and hopefully the weight will come off with it!

I'm giving myself 5 months as its my birthday in first week of June and I'm hoping to be at my goal for then! I started in June this year at 12st 7 and lost 30lbs.. currently at 10st 5 and want to be around 9st 5 or 6 (about 60kg) so I'm in middle of my healthy range for my height.

Feel free to add me as a friend, maybe we can get that last stone off together! :flowerforyou:
  • sm_4ever17
    sm_4ever17 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    i wanted to be at 100 lbs by my birthday bt nw its nt ossible cz i dint start diet on time. av also gt the last stone av lost 5 lbs so far just got 14 more to lose but it cannot b achieved by my birthday 25th jan.:sad:
    my goal is to lose it by the end of feb as i am currently losing 2 lbs a week.
    i dnt exercise i eat whatevr i like but within caloric limit
  • sm_4ever17
    sm_4ever17 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    i wanted to be at 100 lbs by my birthday bt nw its nt ossible cz i dint start diet on time. av also gt the last stone av lost 5 lbs so far just got 14 more to lose but it cannot b achieved by my birthday 25th jan.:sad:
  • MJCalver
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! Well I think that's a great target, sort of where I'd like to be come March!

If you'd like some mutual support, feel free to add me as a friend - I'm sure sharing the ups, downs and frustrations will help!
  • MJCalver
    Options
    well, the closer you get to your goal, the more you should be eating. weird, i know, but it's true. so you have about 6 kilos to go, i would make your weight loss per week a half kilo, and then when you are 3 kilos to go, go to a quarter kilo.

also, this is going to be the time to reanalyze your diet. you may have to start cutting out more sugary parts of the diet, and some of the carbs. not saying you can't have them once in a while, but whatever you were eating, eat half of that.

the last few pounds are the hardest. just be paitent, because unfortunatly this won't be easy. if you aren't doing strength training, i recommend you start.

Thanks for this!! I have never done strength training - unless you count carrying shopping bags ;) I don't get why I need to eat more - but having never got this far before I'm going to trust you on this one!

I'll have a look as I think I'm currently at a kilo a week (which is 2lbs in old money) so I might up it as you suggested. It's tough though - I'd love it all to drop off quickly even though I know slow and steady is better!

Thank you and happy new year!
  • MJCalver
    Options
    I only have about a stone to go also. I'm focusing on toning and strength this year and losing the last few inches and hopefully the weight will come off with it!

I'm giving myself 5 months as its my birthday in first week of June and I'm hoping to be at my goal for then! I started in June this year at 12st 7 and lost 30lbs.. currently at 10st 5 and want to be around 9st 5 or 6 (about 60kg) so I'm in middle of my healthy range for my height.

Feel free to add me as a friend, maybe we can get that last stone off together! :flowerforyou:

Wow you're already doing so well!!! I'll add you as a friend today - it helps having someone in the same situation I find. A lot of my MFP friends are now maintaining! Which is motivating but also frustrating :)

I like the idea of not worrying about the weight coming off and focusing on toning. I work pretty long hours normally so my exercise is housework, walking up stairs and all the other things needed just to run a home! But I do have Jan off work so maybe it's time to fit in some Zumba and get thins shifting.

Happy New Year - i'm sure we'll be speaking soon :D
  • MJCalver
    Options

Well you'll have other birthdays! And think how gorgeous you'll be for them all :) at least the weight coming off slow and steady means it'll stay off. I've done weight watchers and Atkins and harcombe and everything just piled back on. I personally like using calories as it means, like you, I can eat what I like. Sort of like having a budget but for food! And it makes me weigh my choices better too.

I've not worked out when I want to reach my goal weight - but I think that's a good thing to have in your mind. I currently have a pair of size 10 jeans (uk 10, us 8) which I can almost get into (literally an inch too small!) so they hang up for me to see all the time to remind me of what I'm aiming for :D

If you'd like some support - you're welcome to add me as a friend :)

Happy New Year and Happy New You! (and have a great birthday!)
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options

Thanks for this!! I have never done strength training - unless you count carrying shopping bags ;) I don't get why I need to eat more - but having never got this far before I'm going to trust you on this one!

I'll have a look as I think I'm currently at a kilo a week (which is 2lbs in old money) so I might up it as you suggested. It's tough though - I'd love it all to drop off quickly even though I know slow and steady is better!

you might find that the weight will come off quicker with the increased calories. check out this site to get some ideas on what you should be doing to start strength training: http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • chaineyart
    Options
    bumpbump!
  • Lindsayrob
    Lindsayrob Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Not sure I can help with tips, but I've got a stone to lose too, so I'll add you if that's ok? Perhaps we can all work together towards this! I work from home at the moment and need to step up the exercise, but will be starting an office-based job in March so would love to be well on my way by then!
    Lindsay
  • Yori1
    Yori1 Posts: 142
    Options
    Bump
  • Sambo004
    Sambo004 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    These last few pounds really are the hardest and slowest, and some days you are going to feel like you'll never get there, but keep reminding yourself how far you have come and that you are making the right choices every day and that eventually, it will come off. That's what I tell myself anyway. I have around 7.5 pounds to go and man it is taking forever!

Another friend of mine started losing quickly again towards the end, surpassing her goal by several pounds, by giving up sugar. Even fruit, only having it very rarely. She swears it has made all the difference and why she keeps losing every week, and that it has made her tummy much flatter. She also switched to more strength training and pilates (only doing cardio 2 x a week now (previously 6 x).

Good luck!

2955970.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • MJCalver
    Options

you might find that the weight will come off quicker with the increased calories. check out this site to get some ideas on what you should be doing to start strength training: http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

Ooh thank you! Will be checking that out this morning. I've upped my daily intake like you suggested - although with New Year and a second Christmas in the way it could be a little tricky to stick to! Hopefully the weight will continue to shift.
  • MJCalver
    Options
    bumpbump!
    ???? You're gonna have to explain that to me! :-)
  • MJCalver
    Options
    bumpbump!
    ???? You're gonna have to explain that to me! :-)
  • MJCalver
    Options
    Not sure I can help with tips, but I've got a stone to lose too, so I'll add you if that's ok? Perhaps we can all work together towards this! I work from home at the moment and need to step up the exercise, but will be starting an office-based job in March so would love to be well on my way by then!
    Lindsay

Well we've sorted out the adding part - now we just need to sort out the weight part! Lol!!
  • MJCalver
    Options
    These last few pounds really are the hardest and slowest, and some days you are going to feel like you'll never get there, but keep reminding yourself how far you have come and that you are making the right choices every day and that eventually, it will come off. That's what I tell myself anyway. I have around 7.5 pounds to go and man it is taking forever!

Another friend of mine started losing quickly again towards the end, surpassing her goal by several pounds, by giving up sugar. Even fruit, only having it very rarely. She swears it has made all the difference and why she keeps losing every week, and that it has made her tummy much flatter. She also switched to more strength training and pilates (only doing cardio 2 x a week now (previously 6 x).

Good luck!

2955970.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Thanks honey :) I've been pointed at a great strength training website (see someone's kind response earlier!) and they've all suggested I do something like that. I am half Italian so I love my carbs and fruit so I may need to start making some tough decisions. Although eating less carbs leaves more for you to eat - I am still shocked at how many are in pasta!!! I'm off in Jan so am going to combine Zumba "lose a dress size in 10 days" and strength training. I'm sure you'll be propping me up as I get through this! I'm so chuffed you're down to 7.5lbs to go - look at how far you've come!!