New guy suprised...

Options
I am new to the whole idea of weight management. I have always been slim and athletic. I have never been shy about eating more than my share and never gaining weight. I am still very active and exercise what I would consider a normal amount. I do have job that very sedentary and so I do have to work to make sure that I exercise. I didn’t think that I was fat but then I started to realize that I am heavier than many people that are my size and as active. Many people think that I am crazy for trying to loss a few pounds and tone up a few areas but I feel that it would be better for me to try. This week I started tracking what I eat and how much I exercise. I see that I am burning many more calories than I am taking in but the proportions that I take in are all way off. I see that I eat way too many carbohydrates, next to zero in fat and well below the recommended protein amounts. I also drink more than eight glasses of water a day maybe closer to ten to twelve glasses. I have a feeling that the proportions that I am eating are the reason why I am maintaining the same weight and have not really lost anything significant. This has really opened my eyes to what I am currently eating and what I need to be eating. I eat good foods but maybe not the right kinds of foods that I need to be eating to target weight loss.
I could really use some advise on better choices of food.
I would appreciate any advice, if any wants to talk more please let me know.

Replies

• healthierdsr
    Options
    I am new to the whole idea of weight management. I have always been slim and athletic. I have never been shy about eating more than my share and never gaining weight. I am still very active and exercise what I would consider a normal amount. I do have job that very sedentary and so I do have to work to make sure that I exercise. I didn’t think that I was fat but then I started to realize that I am heavier than many people that are my size and as active. Many people think that I am crazy for trying to loss a few pounds and tone up a few areas but I feel that it would be better for me to try. This week I started tracking what I eat and how much I exercise. I see that I am burning many more calories than I am taking in but the proportions that I take in are all way off. I see that I eat way too many carbohydrates, next to zero in fat and well below the recommended protein amounts. I also drink more than eight glasses of water a day maybe closer to ten to twelve glasses. I have a feeling that the proportions that I am eating are the reason why I am maintaining the same weight and have not really lost anything significant. This has really opened my eyes to what I am currently eating and what I need to be eating. I eat good foods but maybe not the right kinds of foods that I need to be eating to target weight loss.
    I could really use some advise on better choices of food.
    I would appreciate any advice, if any wants to talk more please let me know.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    when I started here I was stuck at the near-end of a nearly 100 pound weight loss. (over three years...so very slowly)

I discovered here, by tracking my foods, the following:

I wasn't eating enough calories to fuel my body, so it must have been hoarding. I'm now eating on average, 500-800 calories more a day than I was two months ago.

After doing some research and talking to a trainer, I discovered that I wasn't eating enough protein. The formula I use is my goal (not current) weight divided by two=grams of protein in a day. As I am not a huge meat eater, I've had to make friends with protein powder. Increasing my protein has upped my energy, and made me less likely to overeat simple carbs, which I used to crave badly.

Since making these painless changes, my weight has started to drop again. I had almost given up the thought of losing the last ten, but now I'm halfway there.

That being said, every body is different, so it might help you to speak with a trainer or nutritionist about your goals.
  • ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    welcome and good on you to want to have a healthier life style! I'm not an expert about nutrition but I know that in order to loose weight, you HAVE to eat! Eating 5-6 small meals throughout the day keeps your metabolism in high gear. Think of it like a fire, you have to feed it to keep it going. Once it goes to embers it's harder to get it started again! Like you, I eat WAY to many carbs. I started limiting my intake of Carbs to the morning. That's when you will need them the most. But certainly check with your doctor or a nutritionist for better guidance!
    Hope you meet all of your goals to a healthy lifestyle!!! Good Luck

EBkins7
  • Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good luck healthierdsr!

(Good analogy ebkins7)
  • pamelawh
    pamelawh Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    hi new guy,

go to crosscrunch.com and check out the meal plans for guys. i feel what you are saying about proportions. i would guess that i was eating at least 2000 calories a day maybe more because i was gaining weight not taking it off. with the meal plan that i just mentioned i have turned tables on that bad boy. good luck and if you want to talk more let me know.
  • redalee
    redalee Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Hi new guy: Welcome! Good luck to you.
    Question for Pamela if you log onto this again. I looked at the cross crunch site and couldn't find the meal plans. Dumb blonde syndrome perhaps, but couldn't find it. Oh, I'm a redhead right now, so guess that doesn't count. lol
  • Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    crosscrunch.com just looks like an ad...?
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    You know Pamelawh alot of use different sites and products to lose weight which is great but we don't push them at people in almost every reply. I am glad it works for you but not everyone wants to do it. I'm with healthier_me and I think your a rep too.
  • apaden4
    apaden4 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    there has been a few threads about Pamelawhs "crosscrunch.com"
    The link that will take you to the actual menu is www.crosscrunch.com/bonus
    I don't know why she doesn't post the correct link, maybe she gets paid for her advertisements ???
  • JKArts
    JKArts Posts: 10
    Options
    agreed. Any posts (especially several from the same person plugging the same website or company) should be removed.

There is enough free information out there for those who want to look for it.
  • JKArts
    JKArts Posts: 10
    Options
    ...and now for my hypocrite moment....

I wasn't eating enough protein either when I started out (also, the amount the calorie counter suggests is a little low too). I've read a lot saying 40% protein, 40% carbs is a good mix (as long as your fats are 'good' fats)

The protein I use is called EVOPRO. It has less carbs than other proteins, and has a mix of whey and casein (basically fast and slow release proteins). It works well for me.
  • healthierdsr
    Options
    Several people have recommended a nutritionist. How would I go about finding someone that is reputable on the east coast?
  • julieofthewolves
    julieofthewolves Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    the website for the menus that pamelawh is always posting is actually www.crosscrunch.com/bonus

I believe you would never find it from the main site unless you bought the sales pitch.
  • pamelawh
    pamelawh Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    for anyone on this site. i gain nothing but sharing what has worked for me. it happens to be free and i am in no way affiliated with that site. i do believe they have great meal plans. prior to my finding that site i was going to try nutrislim from seeing the commercials on tv. when i checked into it you have to buy a whole month of food at a time and i don't have freezer space for it. then i found the website that i have shared with new people. i liked the idea of having 5 different menus for 5 different weeks. i also joined jillianmichaels.com and i don't get anything from that, i paid to join $4 a week. i get no referral discounts. i have discovered that the food is very similiar to crosscrunch.com excepting that they have great inspiration for adding spices that don't add calories and that has added some pow to my menus which i like. just fyi i bought a $20 item at walmart and on the box it said free bonus and directed me to crosscrunch.com . so whomever from here who goes to that website hasn't had to buy anything. i joined this website because i am looking for further motivation and inspiration. i also joined the group halloween challenge. i think i put in more cardio time than most of that group. i have been very positive and uplifting. that is my only reward or motivation. i don't know why i have to be put down for sharing anything. the lady who shares her recipes seems to be received and there is a lady that is a trainer that obviously was putting her business out there and i've not read any complaints from that. maybe it's too foreign of a concept for most but I just happen to belive that if you give good out good will come back. there, is that motivation enough!? i believe casually in passing one time i actually stated what i did for a living. i help people get loan ready and help them with their fico scores. try to find that on crosscrunch.com or any other web site i may have referenced. what i am looking for is a workout buddy on line. at this juncture i feel a little disappointed in the human spirit.
  • julieofthewolves
    julieofthewolves Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Pamela - I think that you have added a lot in many of your posts.

But you also mention the same website nearly every time and the website address you give doesn't get people to the menu's you area always telling people about. So, I would suggest that when you do post for the menu you should give the proper website - the one with /bonus. Unless you buy the product you would not get to that site except as a referral from someone who had. Secondly I would say that when people just join this site, they shouldn't have their first welcome from you be a referral to somewhere else. That wouldn't seem very welcoming to me.

I think adding in a referral or suggested activity when people are requesting assistance or struggling with where they are at can be acceptable.

Additionally, this isn't a competition - its for support. You do a great job on your cardio. I can't do 80 minutes on a treadmill - the challenge is to do 30 a day until Halloween. Good for you that you can do more.

Again, I think you can and do oftentimes contribute some really good stuff. But many people have commented that they tire of the advertisements. If it was just one or two I would say its not a strong message. When there is a string just dedicated to frustration about the advertisements I think the message is very loud and very clear.

Please don't be dissappointed in the human spirit - maybe we are more interested in the authenticity of what you have to offer as yourself rather than the other website.
  • apaden4
    apaden4 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Well put Julie!
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Julie you do have a way with words that I don't. Sorry if I came across a little blunt there Pamelawh but I believe in telling it like I see it. Glad to hear a little more about you though. I feel like we don't know much about you and what you like to do and where you see yourself down the line. See you all in another thread. kjl
  • spinach
    Options
    viviakay, thanks for that tip about your protien formula
    I will try that
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Welcome
    I am sure a nutritionist would be able to help you get on the right track if you choose to go that route. I have found for myself I needed to really watch portion control as much as the calories. When I first began it wasn't so much as what I ate but how much and how I prepared it.

I have been at this for awhile now and my eating habits have changed a great deal. Before I rarely touched fruit and I ate to many breads and sweets.

Take a look at what your eating and remember that moderation is key as well as healthy.

Eve
  • Mike
    Mike Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I posted this already in another topic but also wanted to add my thoughts here. I think pamela is posting information about the crosscrunch site only with the best of intentions. She's been a great member and has offered to help other members in numerous other posts.

However, I would like to ask everyone to refrain from posting links to other websites as much as possible. There are a lot of other website owners who try to use forums to promote their own products or websites, and I don't want the forums here to become cluttered with ads or spam. Again, I absolutely don't think pamelawh is trying to advertise at all, but unfortunately, the only way to prevent spam is to set a more blanket rule that will sometimes catch the good with the bad.

I'm planning on writing up some forum rules soon just so that everyone is clear on what's permitted and not permitted on the forums. But in the meantime, please try to refrain from posting links to other sites as much as possible.

Thanks everyone!