Quit Smoking

Options
It almost the time of the year when we make "New Year" resolutions :)
Lets not break it this time. With pals, what we can do to our weight and food, probably we can also do to the strongest addiction know to mankind :grumble:

Possibly, we have all tried quitting earlier and read books or whatever.
Are you serious about quitting this time :smokin: ? Any takers?:smile:

Replies

• oneIT
    oneIT Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I already quit. Using chantix, easiest thing ever!
  • CherryIceGlitter
    Options
    I have been quit smoking for 6 months now and STILL get cravings so I would be happy to support anybody who is planning on giving up next year. Its tough but it does get easier x
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i quit June 16, 2008 using Allen Carr's Easy Way book. best fifteen bucks i ever spent.
  • sporter5
    sporter5 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    This is funny, I just put this on my MFP status,, I will quit! It has been a crutch too long and now that I am doing what I need to get healthy smoking is one thing I have not given up! So I WILL ~~
  • ROCKERFOREVER81
    Options
    I used to smoke 30 cigarrettes a DAY! I tried meditation and it worked as a miracle and It automatically killed the cravings. I highly recommend it. You can do it!
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    i quit using Intellicig Electronic Cigarette

amazing, sorry for putting the web on here but they do work !!!

http://www.scdecig.co.uk/
  • JennyZD
    JennyZD Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Todays my 34th day smoke free. I quit cold turkey and have kept losing weight, contrary to what others might say. Sometimes I get cravings but I know they won't last more than a minute. Good luck!

Ps: my skin looks so much better, I can exercise without feeling short of breath and I never have to worry about my "next cig break".
  • JennyZD
    JennyZD Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I used to smoke 30 cigarrettes a DAY! I tried meditation and it worked as a miracle and It automatically killed the cravings. I highly recommend it. You can do it!

Mediating also helped me :)
  • SeanIsMyHomeboy
    SeanIsMyHomeboy Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Having smoked for 7+ years, i quit cold turkey the same day i started dieting and exercising. I have not had a craving since. I think the secret is to occupy your mind and body with things besides smoking. Walk or run on your smoke breaks at work. Read a book. Watch a movie. Go to the gym. That sort of thing.
  • stroken96
    stroken96 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    i quit using Intellicig Electronic Cigarette

amazing, sorry for putting the web on here but they do work !!!

http://www.scdecig.co.uk/

So what can you tell me, how it works and were you able to hold it like a cigarette, why you chose this kind?
    Please message me
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I know I have to I know I have to I know I have to...

Anyone who used meditation I'd be very interested to hear more. What specific kind?

I found an old pack of Nicoderm patches my mother gave me that I've ignored this morning. I guess that's a sign...
  • AudgePaudge
    AudgePaudge Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I made my resolution to quit in the new year!! I hope my husband can too, he makes me want to smoke :(
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    This is one of my resolutions...... quitting. I want to do it cold turkey though... and that electronic cigarette thing is intriguing because I think part of habit for me is about doing something with my hands.
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I tried to quit smoking on Friday. I bought a new pack yesterday. I feel as though I'm doomed.
  • Lisa_222
    Lisa_222 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Quit cold turkey 21/2 years ago. Finally took off the weight I gained but I don't care. Best thing I ever did. You guys can do this, its hard but the rewards never stop. I've saved a few thousand bucks, too, lol.

Whyquit.com and http://www.quitsmokingmessageboard.com/viewforum.php?f=3 are two sites that kick *kitten* for helping people quit. I highly recommend them. The second has a tendency to get a little bit of drama but when you have dozens of people who are on edge, this tends to happen. They are instrumental in keeping me quit just like this site is to weight loss.
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I quit over a two years ago... but... I still use nicotine gum/lozenges off an on. It's so embarrassing.

My husband quit using Chantix 3 months ago. It worked great for him. He still smoked for about 2 months while taking it so it had plenty of time to build up in his system. He got down to about 5 smokes a day before he stopped completely.
  • juleseybaby
    juleseybaby Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I quit 4 months ago today - cold turkey. :bigsmile:

Before that I used Chantix (messed with my head), before that I tried Nicorette, before that - the lozenges, before that - cold turkey, before that - hypnotism (I was awake the entire time and am absolutely convinced that I cannot be hypnotized).

You get the picture... it is a LONG, HARD road - but it can be done.

There is at least one support group on here - though it looks like it has been a month since anyone posted. Perhaps it will pick up with the resolutions.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/263-smokers-support-system

If all else fails - friend me - I will happily support anyone. I have made it through nights out with friends at smoky bars, etc. Tough - but if I can do it - anyone can. I had smoked about a pack a day for the better part of 24 years.
  • lyngoode
    lyngoode Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    bump
  • oneIT
    oneIT Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I quit over a two years ago... but... I still use nicotine gum/lozenges off an on. It's so embarrassing.

My husband quit using Chantix 3 months ago. It worked great for him. He still smoked for about 2 months while taking it so it had plenty of time to build up in his system. He got down to about 5 smokes a day before he stopped completely.

Thats the problem with replacing smoking with other nicotine. Nicotine is the problem, not smoking.

Once again, Chantix is the easiest way to quit, I have tried all others. If you can go cold turkey then do it, but if you can't then try chantix.
  • dbatcostco
    Options
    I have been quit for 19 months now. A great site helped me a lot. Check out www.Quitnet.com.!!