Wish MFP had a "single" status button like FB...

Options
124»

Replies

• MelissaE27
    MelissaE27 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Congrats on making the one of the single most important steps in your life... this is the beginning of a new tomorrow,.. I went through abuse and the day I walked away was like being reborn! if you can make that decision you can do anything!!! HUGS to you!
  • Shanna_Inc86
    Shanna_Inc86 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    What does any of this have to do with being able to set your relationship status on MFP. It's an effing diet/fitness site, come on.

And a faux dating site :wink:

Good for you for leaving doll
  • Shanna_Inc86
    Shanna_Inc86 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    What does any of this have to do with being able to set your relationship status on MFP. It's an effing diet/fitness site, come on.

Oh and to expand upon this...yes it is a diet/fitness site but usually with dieting and exercise comes a new sense of self worth, confidence and so on. USUALLY and NOT ALWAYS someone has gained weight b/c they're unhappy and then they're unhappy b/c they're overweight. Losing that weight is more than just physical. There are a lot of mental aspects to it. This site and the people you choose to keep around you, aid in that. It's natural to want to know someone who is supporting you and encouraging you through possibly one of the biggest challenges you've faced.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

Oh and to expand upon this...yes it is a diet/fitness site but usually with dieting and exercise comes a new sense of self worth, confidence and so on. USUALLY and NOT ALWAYS someone has gained weight b/c they're unhappy and then they're unhappy b/c they're overweight. Losing that weight is more than just physical. There are a lot of mental aspects to it. This site and the people you choose to keep around you, aid in that. It's natural to want to know someone who is supporting you and encouraging you through possibly one of the biggest challenges you've faced.

I understand wanting to get to know people, and feel supported. I also understand some of the social and emotional changes that go with weight and fitness changes--or at least I know what I have been through. MPF is great for meeting people going through similar changes and challenges. What I don't understand is how/why being able to post one's relationship status (as a status button) helps you get support. My profile includes a mention of my relationship status, in part because it's relevant to my eating habits (I'm a vegetarian, my husband is an omni). This isn't a dating site. If you want to join a singles group, go for it, but I don't think knowing someone is "married," "in a relationship," etc, ala-FB really helps you get to know people.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I understand wanting to get to know people, and feel supported. I also understand some of the social and emotional changes that go with weight and fitness changes--or at least I know what I have been through. MPF is great for meeting people going through similar changes and challenges. What I don't understand is how/why being able to post one's relationship status (as a status button) helps you get support. My profile includes a mention of my relationship status, in part because it's relevant to my eating habits (I'm a vegetarian, my husband is an omni). This isn't a dating site. If you want to join a singles group, go for it, but I don't think knowing someone is "married," "in a relationship," etc, ala-FB really helps you get to know people.

I don't think it's about getting support. I think she's feeling empowered and wants to announce it to the world, which having a relationship status button would help her do. Not everything that everyone posts is 100% literal.
  • TheDoctor90
    TheDoctor90 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    OP is a milf.
  • HollieDoodles
    HollieDoodles Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    You are so right; I was just saying that being fit opens more doors.

That's just reality.

I have never had any problems fitting through doors at my weight, how small are the doors in your town?

Me either.... If it's that much of a problem, I say rub a little Crisco on your thighs and take it at a run.
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options

I don't think it's about getting support. I think she's feeling empowered and wants to announce it to the world, which having a relationship status button would help her do. Not everything that everyone posts is 100% literal.

Even if it was literal, fitness oriented or not it's a social network. Social things like dating are going to come up.
  • ShadowSoldier23
    ShadowSoldier23 Posts: 321 Member
    Options

That's just reality.

I have never had any problems fitting through doors at my weight, how small are the doors in your town?

Me either.... If it's that much of a problem, I say rub a little Crisco on your thighs and take it at a run.

Ahahaha! Awesome. I think I might try this when I have doorway issues. :D
  • AriannaTiyen42
    AriannaTiyen42 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: You have just made yourself available to your Mr. Right. Congrats
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options

That's just reality.

Ahahaha! Awesome. I think I might try this when I have doorway issues. :D

Hollie is always full of great advice.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I wish FB had a Food Diary Option.

LOVEEE THIS
  • momtozmc
    momtozmc Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on making a very hard decision to leave!

My guy and I just broke up - mutually - but still hard, especially during the holidays. We could have waited until after but... why prolong the inevitable!!!!

You've made the first step, now go... don't look back... the past makes us who we are... you can't forget, but you can learn from it!

L
  • momtozmc
    momtozmc Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    ** Sorry duplicate post **
  • NeedANewFocus
    NeedANewFocus Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    1) You are an inspiration to those that feel "trapped" in similar environments! Dare to leap and find all the open space one needs to make a new. You rock!

2) 55 LOOKS AMAZING!
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you!! Don't mind all the other random stuff being posted in your thread, some people who read it just got kinda confused. Plus, it's a social site so there's always disagreements going on, unfortunately.

But good for you!!! I did the same thing earlier this year and it is totally LIBERATING!!! Best of luck to you and I'm sure many good things will come your way!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!! I am sorry if I have offended anyone with my post. (Nah - not really...)

Although this is a "fitness" site, many GOOD PEOPLE here are really struggling with a LOT of issues. And those issues are often linked with eating and exercise habits. For me, it is only natural to turn for support "here" in a "community" of people who sometimes turn to food or exercise addictions when life gets really crazy. AND - there are also many people here who are terrific and sympathetic role models for those of us who are beset by the addictive behaviors. I have found some wonderful support here and I HOPE I give it back!

There is another very practical reason for me to turn to MFP at this time: In "real life" and on FB, most of my friends & family know BOTH of us or know ABOUT both of us, so I really don't want to explore my sadness with the people we both know and love and who love both of US. So - Thank you again to EVERYONE who has been kind to me "here."