Lapbanders are not taking the easy way out...

Options

Replies

• Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    For the sake of argument let's assume that lapbanding is not an easy way out. We all can agree that dieting and exercising are needed no matter what method we use. We all know that a lifestyle change is needed for most of us. Let's face it poor eating and lack of exercise is what made most of us overweight. We also know that the real goal is better health.

So doesn't it follow that the cure to poor eating is making better choices and the cure to a sedentary lifestyle is more exercise. So even if you do lapbanding you still need those two disciplines. Then the question becomes why do lapbanding at all. It's intrusive so their are additional health risks. Then just like those of us who do it the old fashion way you can still gain the weight back which is confessed by the poster.
  • katya143
    katya143 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    This is why in life I am in the "closet" about having lapband! So many negative, uneducated haterz out there!!!! It was by no means easy!!! I excersize 5 days a week, measure my food and try to fight emotional hunger every second of the day! My band is just a tool that helped me jumpstart my weightloss but I must say the rest of the choices I make is up to me! Would I have been able to lose 100 pounds without my tool? Prob not! Did the band talk to me and tell me to go to the gym, work my *kitten* off, sweat from head to toe... No! Did the lapband stop me from eating a pint of Ben and Jerry's ice cream or a whole jar of peanutbutter in one sitting? No... Its a tool that works when using it correctly, by following a set of rules, but by no means controls the brain...I worked my fat @ss of with blood, sweat and tears just like anyone else who didn't have surgery to lose weight, so why do you hate???
  • tlsegar
    tlsegar Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Anyone who says that there is even anything remotely easy about lapband has just proven themselves to be an utter fool.

There is absolutely nothing easy about having your body cut on for surgery. There is nothing easy about sticking to an all liquid protein diet 2 weeks pre-op. There is nothing easy about being so dehydrated the morning of your surgery that 2 nurses and 2 anesthesiologists can't find a single vein in either of your arms and have to run a central line through your neck. There is nothing easy about being in so much pain that you literally have to hold your stomach when you sit up or walk for a week. And there is nothing easy about having to completely change your eating habits and lifestyle so that all the hell you went through wasn't for nothing.

Fairly certain thats what each and every one of us who didn't go that route did...

What's your point? If I'm doing the same thing you are - eating right and exercising more - to lose weight, then what makes your accomplishment more legitimate than mine?
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I hate my band. The doctor wasn't exactly a great surgeon and I throw up alot. Even water some days. There is nothing easy about it. I haven't had mine filled, as in it's empty, for two years.
  • MissBettyBoop2
    MissBettyBoop2 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I agree!

I don't have the lap band. I have been sleeved.

But I do get tired of posts from ill informed, ignorant people saying that if you've had any sort of weight loss surgery, you've done it the easy way!

This isn't a game!! This is our life. If someone needs help, they should get it! They should ask for it!

The facts are, weight loss surgery WORKS for 80% of the people out there. Yo yo dieting doesn't. Only 5% are able to keep their weight off.
  • MissBettyBoop2
    MissBettyBoop2 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you can be sleeved.

There are a lot of side effects to the lap band I've heard. Even my insurance now says they take out just as many as they put in. And the lap band does have to usually come out after 5-7 years.

Perhaps look into the sleeve. Most people do very well after being sleeved...
  • healinghands123
    Options
    I was banded in March 2011. The lapband is clearly a tool, and I am glad that I did not tell many people I had the surgery as the consensus is that it is the easy way out, which is a myth. What the lapband does do is it prevents you from eating foods that you shouldn't be eating anyway! I have not lost as much weight as I would like, but my health has improved dramatically. I am eating healthy and exercising 4-5 times a week. My cholesterol was high, and now under 200. I became diabetic prior to surgery and after surgery my glucose numbers are now back to normal. Prior to surgery I couldn't walk a flight of stairs without gasping for air. Now I can jog up 6 flights of stairs with no issues. I participated in a 5k in June and a 4 mile race in September. I continue to set goals for myself and work towards those goals. My current goal is to be able to run/jog the entire 5k by June 2012. I plan to participate in several 5ks between now and then. Life is a journey, and so is weight loss.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    People have different opinions on the subject. Don't let people who don't support it, affect you. Just do you. My mom had gastric bypass done probably 6 or so years ago & it's just been a disaster. Wish she would have been banded instead.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    If any of you reading this have not had the lap band surgery, I would encourage you avoid it if at all possible.

While lap band surgery is not quite as invasive as some weight loss surgeries, it has it's share of complications:

http://bmi.ucsd.edu/weight-loss-surgery/lap-band/Pages/risks.aspx

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/forum/70-lap-band-complications

After browsing these links for awhile, I've decided lap-band surgery is the hard way out. Especially since one poster linked to a study that shows 1/3 of patients with lap bands do well, 1/3 have problems, and 1/3 flat out fail. The longer the band is in the more likely a person is to have problems and a lot of people end up getting the thing removed.

And some of those problems can kill you, such as pneumonia due to aspirating your stomach contents in your sleep. Oh, and the band can eat through your stomach. And then there's one guy whose doctor told him the band was pressing on his liver, causing scarring. And of course there's people who can't find a good adjustment and either can eat everything in site or can't even hold down water.

Plus there's just flat out failure of the thing to work, which sends people back to the doctor for diet pills or into depression because they've either lost no weight with the band, gained it back, or gained more. And self pay. Self pay is really risky. Because even if your condition becomes life threatening, some doctors won't go near you. And what if you could afford to put the thing in (a lot of people get theirs done in Mexico) but then you can't afford adjustments or to get it taken out when it starts causing problems? :noway:

The more I read, the less annoying and difficult daily exercise and counting calories looks. You have to be truly, truly desperate to get this procedure done. And no doctor should sell it to patients without understanding what is being sold and without making sure the patient truly understands.
  • withfaithigoforward
    Options
    There is no rules in this weight lose game. I am at a 400 cal. deficete because I can't hold nothing down this week. Am I loosing NO. Why? a body doesn't work well on 800 cals. or less. I have felt that nothing I have ever done has made a dent in my weight loss as the constant reminder by the band that I need to live by not over eating, to slow down and exercise. I wouldn't trade it for anything but again it is a tool, use it as such.
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    If you need a reminder not to over-eat, just put on a tight belt before you sit down at the table. If you eat too much, you;ll feel it getting tighter around your waist, and you'll have to make a decision to stop eating, continue eating and feel very uncomfortable, or take off the belt.

It's a lot less expensive, less painful, and safer than having lap band or any other weight loss surgery.
  • jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I will admit I used to think that people who had weight loss surgery were taking the easy way out. After meeting a few people who have had it, I agree it's not necessarily the easy way out. I know someone who had the surgery done, lost a whole bunch of weight and then gained it all back. The only thing I guess that confuses me is if you can still over eat and gain it back what does it really do for you? The other person I know who had the surgery ended up with all kinds of complications, she started becoming weak, lost her hair, had a lot of internal issues and eventually died. I am not saying anything bad about anyone who chooses to go this route, but be sure you have really tried to do everything you can to lose weight before you take this route. When you are done you will still have to count calories and eat healthy, the same as if you did not have the surgery.
  • rsmblue
    rsmblue Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Kuddos to you,Waynes_World!!!! Not only for taking a stand, but for your loss! May 2012 bring you nothing but much success in reaching your goals. :smile:
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    congrats on the weight loss.

people are going to have different opinions.
    running a marathon, and riding a bike 26.2 miles are two different things.
    both are an accomplishment, both take dedication, but one was easier.

Nice metaphor.
  • Apryl546
    Apryl546 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I don't think any kind of WLS is easy.

What I don't understand is the people who have to lose a ton of weight pre-op and are able to do it, and still go ahead with the surgery. If you were able to lose x amount of pounds just so you could qualify for safe weight under the anesthetic for surgery, why not continue the loss you were doing than spending thousands on WLS?
  • rsmblue
    rsmblue Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    This group is supposed to be for LB, etc support, so I don't understand why others who are SO against it to begin with are even viewing this site, let alone posting?! We are on MFP for the SAME reason, how we get there shouldn't matter. What matters is that we are all here to get to the same GOAL.

Why would anyone take the time to scrutinize and trash another person's direction to success? Really, do you have that much time on your hands? If you do, maybe you need to take another look at yourself because there is obviously something else wrong with you then needing/wanting to lose weight!
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I concur with you on the whole WLS thing. I had VSG Aug of this year, and I am currently at a size I dont remember ever in my life. I bust my butt working out, and I love the fact I get full after just a little bit of food. I am strict with my vitamins, always on top of those, make sure I get my protein in, and do what I was taught. I have made it a way of life, not a "get out of fat jail free" card.

As for the negative people who think it is a cop out - yeah I want to place myself in the line of potential death, under a knife to take the "easy" way out. There will always be those who have their opinions and anyone who becomes negative - I eliminate from my life. I dont want or need the negativity.

Hang in there keep up the great work!
  • LosingMyselfin2011
    Options
    Lapband in no way is easy. I had it done in 07 and it caused me tons of complications. I had to have mine removed. I lost an initial 40 pounds from it, but then I gained it all back.
    I now have vertical sleeve.. anyone who thinks WLS is an easy way out is very ill informed .
    feel free to add me.
  • ngory07
    ngory07 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I had VSG on January 24th 2011. In less than a yr I've lost 149 lbs and I've never felt better. I do celebrate every victory and I don't think its less than someone losing it without surgery. I am 15 lbs from my goal and 5 lbs from my surgeons. I do think its been easier than if I hadn't had it but honestly who the hell cares? I wanted to lose it fast and keep it off. I'm healthy, all my labs are good, I eat great, I have treats and I workout. Sound familiar? Its what every person has to do to lose weight. So what difference does it make that I lost it in a yr rather than 2 or 3? Honestly I think a lot ( not ALL) are jealous. No matter if we like to admit it or not we all want this to be easier. I had a girl tell me she would never have surgery and we stopped talking b/c I was set on it. We were both obese. I saw her for the first time at a party. She didn't recognize me at first had to ask who I was. Then she admitted I looked great and she wished she had the balls to have surgery. Some people are scared. This has been my experience. I love being full on so little. Now that I don't have much to lose I have to work at it just as hard as everyone else. But its a lot easier to work out and strength train at 155 than it is at 304. I make healthy choices but if I want a piece of cake then **** I'm gonna have a piece. The best part is I will feel satisfied at half a piece rather than the whole damn thing!! Don't let ppl tell you your weight loss isn't as special!! You did it and will continue if you use your amazing tool! Screw the haters!!
  • ngory07
    ngory07 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I don't think any kind of WLS is easy.

What I don't understand is the people who have to lose a ton of weight pre-op and are able to do it, and still go ahead with the surgery. If you were able to lose x amount of pounds just so you could qualify for safe weight under the anesthetic for surgery, why not continue the loss you were doing than spending thousands on WLS?

Its because they want to maintain. I lost 100 lbs and gained it all back.I then lost the same 70 lbs about 5 times. Wls doesn't just helo you lose weight. The point is to keep it off longterm. Yes a 400 lb person can easliy lose 60 to 100 lbs but the odds of them losing all their excess weight and keeping it off are very low. There are studies that support this.