For those w/ HRM's do you........

Options
Just curious........ do any of you keep your HRM going during cool downs?

Replies

• lilsassymom
    lilsassymom Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I just got a HRM for Christmas and used it for yesterdays workout and todays workout and I kept it going as I was cooling down. I use it warming up so I think we should do it for cool down too:huh: . I have no clue though since I am a new HRM user and I actually did ask this on MFP but got no response. Hopefully an experienced HRM user will tell us...
  • sunnydays33
    sunnydays33 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Yup, totally! Usually for about 5-10 min (depending on how strenuous the workout) until I see my HR get back down.
  • niknak0508
    niknak0508 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I usually wear mine too..... just curious if others do!
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I always keep mine on and going during cool downs. If its after a long and hard run, I will keep it going, b/c my heart is still up high.

If its after a weight lifting routine at the gym, I'll monitor my heart rate, but won't log calories burned.
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    i keep it on until its back to my resting heart rate
  • InnerPinup79
    Options
    I keep it on from warm up to cool down back to my resting hr. I like to see how quick I recover.
  • rosecook425
    rosecook425 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Just curious. Im going to be looking into getting my own (since santa didnt bring me one) Any suggestions. Im just getting back to working out and am not in great shape. But Id like to be better aware of my heart rate during my exericse since my heart palpitates from the side effects of thyroid issues. Id like to get a good workout without my heart suddenly deciding to beat outta my chest causing me to stop.
  • DirtbikeGal
    DirtbikeGal Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I bought a womans ironman triatholon w/ strap and love it! Ive used the heck out of it for the past 2 yrs with no issues at all.

Side note heart palaptations are a sign of HYPERthyroidism. Are you hypo and maybe your meds need adjusted down? Im hypo too so, I know how frustrating it can get.
  • _David_
    _David_ Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Just curious. Im going to be looking into getting my own (since santa didnt bring me one) Any suggestions. Im just getting back to working out and am not in great shape. But Id like to be better aware of my heart rate during my exericse since my heart palpitates from the side effects of thyroid issues. Id like to get a good workout without my heart suddenly deciding to beat outta my chest causing me to stop.
    I went with a Polar model because they display my HR on the cardio equipment and it makes evrything easier if you dont have to look at the watch. Been using mine daily for about 4 months and not one problem. Polar FT40
  • rosecook425
    rosecook425 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    well my docs keep my Hypothyroid since having my thyroid removed 15 yrs ago due to cancer. I let him know at my last check in about the heart palpitations and since it is a new side effect with me he wanted me to monitor it. Usually it is not a probem, it becomes one when I want to push myself and that holds me back,
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I keep mine going for the warm up and cool down since it's all part of the workout.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Yes, I turn it on right before I begin the warm-up and don't stop it until I am completely done.
  • ladyprofaz
    Options
    I keep mine going because I like to monitor my recovery rate.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Yes!

I like to see how fast I recover (a sign of good health!). Plus- I usually get an extra 50 calories out of it :)
  • Shawn_Marie
    Options
    I use mine from start to finish
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    i have the polar ft 60. Wore mine today just to see how many cals I burn walking, which I don't normally do. Ugh! On My fitness pal it has be burning more calories than what my polar heart rate monitor says I burn. Much less. I am currently thinking of just wearing it one day on a rest day to see how many cals I burn when I am not doing anything. Wearing it right now to see how many cals I burn while internet surfing...lol. I will keep it on for 10 min just for curiosities sake.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    warm up and cool down.
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Yup, totally! Usually for about 5-10 min (depending on how strenuous the workout) until I see my HR get back down.

Same for me too. I have a Polar F7 (pink) with chest strap. I seriously love that thing.
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I have an Polar RCX5 and only do treadmill.I only keep the calories counter while I'm running and I stop it when I walk/recover.I still can see the HR but no calories but that's me.I'm only counting the running.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I turn it on as I step on the treadmill to start my warmup, and turn it off as I get into my car. I try to park as far away as I can, so the walk to the car could be part of my cool down