Going meatless -- Looking for recipe ideas

Hi, I am changing my diet to include more vegetables and less meat. I am not doing this because I have any problems with the consumption of meat (moral, health or otherwise) I just want to eat healthier. I will still occasionally include meat in my meals, but am limiting it to a few times per month for now. I also want to keep dairy in my kids diet.

If you have any favorite recipies that you are willing to share, please post them here. I would love to get some ideas for healthy, plant based meals that are hearty enough to sate the appetite of my teenaged daughter, and still keep us within a healthy calorie intake for the meal.

All suggestions are greatly appreciated. (:

Replies

• klhiggs32
    klhiggs32 Posts: 14 Member
    I love spaghetti squash with either a white wine or a marinara sauce. Load it up w/ other veggies like summer squash, zucchini, eggplant, mushroom and onion. Sometimes I simply use a small can of seasoned diced tomatoes for the sauce and add a little crushed red pepper if you like a little kick. Fills you up better than real pasta w/ more vitamins and less guilt!
  • MadeToCraveHIM
    MadeToCraveHIM Posts: 213 Member
    You could try a take on chicken tortilla soup that I do sometimes when I'm out of chicken.

1 can northern beans (drained & rinsed)
    1 can black beans (drained & rinsed)
    Chicken or Vegetable Broth (low sodium)
    1 jar chunky salsa
    1 can of Red Gold Chipotle seasoned chopped tomatoes
    Cilantro to taste

Combine all ingredients and place in a slow cooker on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours. (until beans are tender)

Enjoy :bigsmile:
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    I have been vegan for two years and my teenage girls have begun to choose meat less often, even when eating out. They no longer eat dairy because one has never liked it and the other discovered a link between her dairy consumption and her acne - now she drinks soy and almond milks and doesn't have a problem. She was also questioning whether or not she was lactose intolerant - now she knows she is. I have a blog where I share some of our family's favorite recipes. http://vegancajun.blogspot.com/ I also like the Peas and Thank You blog and the Fat Free Vegan Kitchen blog.
  • I LOVE meatless chili! I am not a big meat eater either so this is my favorite, super healthy and hearty!
    1 can white kidney beans, 1 can red kidney beans, 1 can black beans, 1 chili seasoning packet, 1 LARGE can of diced tomatoes with chili's....throw everything together in a pot and simmer....the longer you simmer, the hotter it gets (you might sweat a lil ;) Top with sour cream and cheese or just eat plain!
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Black bean burgers are one of my favorite vegetarian meals. It's nothing like a meat burger, but it's delicious in it's own right. Really filling and easy to make.

http://happygoodtime.com/2011/11/16/indian-spiced-black-bean-burgers-with-yogurt-sauce/

one of my favorites is shakshuka, or eggs poached in tomato sauce. If you don't like the Israeli style sesoning, it can easily go Italian. Then, it would be Eggs in Purgatory.

http://happygoodtime.com/2011/11/04/israeli-shakshuka-with-peppers-and-goat-feta/
  • bridgeo74
    bridgeo74 Posts: 191 Member
    One my husband LOVES (on his list of must-haves when he came home from deployment) AND I won 3rd place at our battalion's chili cook-off last year....

1 can northern beans, drained
    1 can chili beans, any heat you like
    1 LARGE can of diced tomatoes
    1 packet of taco seasoning (I try to get low-sodium)
    1 packet of dry ranch dressing
    1 package of Morningstar or Boca crumbles (last time I had to use ground imitation meat by the tofu because store was out)
    Dump in a pot and heat it up!! Easy!!!
    Eat as chili, top a potato with it, or use for chili fries!!!

I like Boca burgers, and my husband can even them put them on the grill for me too!
    Also, try some of the vegetarian/vegan groups on MFP...I am sure they have a lot of ideas for you!!
  • black beans absolutely yummy! dried black beans, cook in water w/bay leaf, cumin, chili powder, garlicf powder, onion p0owder, chili flakes to taste,black pepper, and salt to taste. i make it vegan so i use absolutely no meat or meeat broth
  • kouzzzz
    kouzzzz Posts: 540 Member
    Quinoa with real butter

Quinoa nutrition contains twice the protein of regular cereal grains, less carbohydrates, more healthy fats, fiber, phosphorus, calcium and high in iron.
  • Will you still have tuna?

I have a little rice mixed in with tuna (the flavored tempters) with Cherry tomatoes and occasionally avocado.

YUM! :D
  • GretaJane
    GretaJane Posts: 64 Member
    Hello! I eat a mainly vegan diet but occasionally eat small amounts of dairy and fish. I was strictly vegan for 9 years.

Some of my favourite meals are:

Homemade salad of romaine lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes and black beans topped with homemade guacamole and salsa verde. (You can eat this over brown rice if you want it a bit more filling.)

Falafel burgers/wraps or falafel over salad with tahini dressing.

Bean salad with tomatoes, cucumber and celery with a balsamic/garlic/basil/lemon dressing.

Thai stir fry with peanut sauce OR Thai green or red curry (use light coconut milk or half a tin and freeze the rest)

Cold pesto-pasta salad with cucumber, bell peppers and tomatoes.

Friend me if you like! :smile:
  • LethaSue
    LethaSue Posts: 285 Member
    I don't eat meat, my husband does and before my daughters grew up and flew the nest they did also. So I found that I can make almost any recipe ( especially ones that have cheese in them) with and without meat. I put meat in theirs and omit it in mine. For instance:
    Chicken tettrazini:
    Spaggatti
    Cream of mushroom soup
    Cheese
    Sauted onion and celery
    Boiled chicken
    onion salt
    veggie boullion

Or when I make chicken and dumplings, I make a side pot with boiled new potatoes and use that to add alittle milk and butter to the water bring to a slight boil and drop the dumplings into.

I make a dorito pie and in mine I use nacho flavored doritoes, pinto beans, cheese, onion, and some cream of mushroom soup. The family gets the version that contains cooked ground meat, or cooked chicken and mine does not.

Any cold pasta salad is better if you add it to leaf lettuce and cut of veggies. I found a good recipe off a container of cottage cheese.
    Rotini pasta
    Cut up broccoli crowns
    shredded carrots
    sliced green onion
    cottage cheese
    small amount of low fat ranch
    I also put in some hidden valley ranch dip powder
    cherry tomatoes
    It didn't call for it but I aded some feta cheese to it also
  • Thank you everyone for the ideas and websites. I can't wait to try them!!

Here is a Moroccan stew recipe I tried the other night, my kids even liked it! I left out the yogurt and butter and used vegetable broth.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/aida-mollenkamp/squash-and-chickpea-moroccan-stew-recipe/index.html
  • econut2000
    econut2000 Posts: 395 Member
    Two fun recipes (although I noticed chilli is a popular choice! lol)

Breakfast burritos: heat a tortilla, spread with a little guacamole. Saute onions, peppers until lightly browned and a handful of fresh spinach and continue cooking until nearly wilted, add some whisked eggs or egg beaters and make into a veggie scrambled egg mixture. Place onto tortilla and add a pinch of shredded cheese if desired.

Tex-Mex Vegetarian Chili: Heat 2 TBLS olive oil over medium heat in stock pot. Add 1 peeled and chopped red onion, half seeded and diced red, yellow and green peppers each, 4 cloves of peeled and minced garlic, salt and pepper, 2 TBLS chili powder, 1 TBLS cumin, 1 TBLS paprika and cook about 10 mins until veggies are soft. Add 6 oz canned, rinsed and drained of each black beans, kidney beans, pinto beans (and we added chickpeas too for good measure), 14 oz tomato sauce, 14 oz stewed tomatoes and 1 sachet of cinnamon stick and 4 bay leaves. Simmer uncovered 30 mins. Add 1/2 diced zucchini, 1/2 diced yellow squash, and the kernels of 1 ear of corn and simmer 5 more mins. Finish with 2 TBLS minced fresh cilantro and 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced.
  • econut2000
    econut2000 Posts: 395 Member
    Two fun recipes (although I noticed chilli is a popular choice! lol)

Breakfast burritos: heat a tortilla, spread with a little guacamole. Saute onions, peppers until lightly browned and a handful of fresh spinach and continue cooking until nearly wilted, add some whisked eggs or egg beaters and make into a veggie scrambled egg mixture. Place onto tortilla and add a pinch of shredded cheese if desired.

Tex-Mex Vegetarian Chili: Heat 2 TBLS olive oil over medium heat in stock pot. Add 1 peeled and chopped red onion, half seeded and diced red, yellow and green peppers each, 4 cloves of peeled and minced garlic, salt and pepper, 2 TBLS chili powder, 1 TBLS cumin, 1 TBLS paprika and cook about 10 mins until veggies are soft. Add 6 oz canned, rinsed and drained of each black beans, kidney beans, pinto beans (and we added chickpeas too for good measure), 14 oz tomato sauce, 14 oz stewed tomatoes and 1 sachet of cinnamon stick and 4 bay leaves. Simmer uncovered 30 mins. Add 1/2 diced zucchini, 1/2 diced yellow squash, and the kernels of 1 ear of corn and simmer 5 more mins. Finish with 2 TBLS minced fresh cilantro and 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced.
  • I'm making this now! Thanks for sharing! Yum! Very easy.
    One my husband LOVES (on his list of must-haves when he came home from deployment) AND I won 3rd place at our battalion's chili cook-off last year....

1 can northern beans, drained
    1 can chili beans, any heat you like
    1 LARGE can of diced tomatoes
    1 packet of taco seasoning (I try to get low-sodium)
    1 packet of dry ranch dressing
    1 package of Morningstar or Boca crumbles (last time I had to use ground imitation meat by the tofu because store was out)
    Dump in a pot and heat it up!! Easy!!!
    Eat as chili, top a potato with it, or use for chili fries!!!

I like Boca burgers, and my husband can even them put them on the grill for me too!
    Also, try some of the vegetarian/vegan groups on MFP...I am sure they have a lot of ideas for you!!
  • Just remember that a vegetarian diet is usually very high carb...so be careful, you need a protein source for each meal..look at tofu, soy, beans, watch the nuts, cause those calories really add up quickly, meatless protein substitues and whey powders to get your protein in. Protein keeps the body satisfied for longer periods, helps to prevent you from over eating and provides the muscles the protein to be able to grow....so don't leave it out!! whichever form you choose make sure it's at every meal
  • salzej01
    salzej01 Posts: 125 Member
    Bump.
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    just make sure whatever changes you make that you are able to make up for the lost protein. protein is essential in a diet
  • naturallykat
    naturallykat Posts: 118 Member
    Just remember that a vegetarian diet is usually very high carb...so be careful, you need a protein source for each meal..look at tofu, soy, beans, watch the nuts, cause those calories really add up quickly, meatless protein substitues and whey powders to get your protein in. Protein keeps the body satisfied for longer periods, helps to prevent you from over eating and provides the muscles the protein to be able to grow....so don't leave it out!! whichever form you choose make sure it's at every meal

And this is the main reason I often either don't have enough protein or end up eating more meat than my budget likes. Just can't seem to get enough protein in a veggie diet, which I would much prefer!
  • Dammitviv
    Dammitviv Posts: 117
    Just remember that a vegetarian diet is usually very high carb...so be careful, you need a protein source for each meal..look at tofu, soy, beans, watch the nuts, cause those calories really add up quickly, meatless protein substitues and whey powders to get your protein in. Protein keeps the body satisfied for longer periods, helps to prevent you from over eating and provides the muscles the protein to be able to grow....so don't leave it out!! whichever form you choose make sure it's at every meal

Great advise, I know the importance of protien, and want to make sure that it stays in my kids diet (as well as mine). But I am trying to reduce the unhealthy fats and high calorie foods that we have gotten into the bad habit of eating frequently. I have been substituting quinoa for rice, potatoes and other common carb sides in my meals.

I mainly want my girls to learn how to cook and eat healthier food with more vegetables. I've always struggled with weight, and I don't want them to.