Protein, Protein, Protein

Options
How do all you guys get in so much protein? I have to force myself to get it in? I hate protein drinks.....YUK!!! Any suggestions would be appreciated.:flowerforyou:

Replies

• Dizzle_65
    Dizzle_65 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Fish is high in protein and relatively light to eat and low in calories.

Steak, obviously very good source but heavier to eat and higher in calories

Turkey is a great source and undervalued except at this time of year.

There's different types of protein so you should use various sources. Meat, Poultry, Fish & Dairy. Shakes are fine but they are supplements, nothing more.
  • kouzzzz
    kouzzzz Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I make 2-3 Whey Protein smoothies a day:

Coconut milk
    protein powder
    raw egg
    almond butter or cashew butter
    hershey's special dark cocoa
    Udo's blend omega 3-6-9

I also eat lots of fish, nuts, chicken and turkey. Sometimes red meat.
  • Roblyssa
    Roblyssa Posts: 125
    Options
    Tuna (I hate tuna), meatballs, rissoles, chicken kebabs/breast strips (not crumbed), eggs (boiled, scrambled, poached), fish, pork, stir frys............

The list goes on and on....google high protein foods!
  • budgetqueen79
    budgetqueen79 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Fish, eggs, turkey, protein shakes. If you are doing WLS aren't you going to be on liquids? I put up a video on my channel of the ones I like and how to dress them up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDI4rgMy6Fg
  • danmoffett
    Options
    Protein is important but you should also get lots of fat.
    I've lost 145 pounds in the past 21 months. I live a low carb, high fat lifestyle.
    Eat good fat like coconut oil, olive oil, butter, heavy cream and fatty meat.
    I don't worry about or count calories. I don't exercise for weight loss.
    I eat all the good food I want. Remember, you can't over eat on good food.
    You just have to learn what the good foods are.
    Check out my blog for my story.

I wish you success.

Dan
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Tofu, tempeh, seitan and peanut butter are my favorite protein sources! Also, protein powder tastes completely different if you mix it into something like oatmeal - a good way to boost the protein count!
    I don't worry about or count calories. I don't exercise for weight loss.
    I eat all the good food I want. Remember, you can't over eat on good food.

This isn't really sound advice, it is absolutely possible to overeat "good food" - that's why most of us got here. Enjoy these foods, but ultimately it comes down to calories consumed vs. calories burned.
  • Hmrjmr1
    Hmrjmr1 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Fish is high in protein and relatively light to eat and low in calories.

Steak, obviously very good source but heavier to eat and higher in calories

Turkey is a great source and undervalued except at this time of year.

There's different types of protein so you should use various sources. Meat, Poultry, Fish & Dairy. Shakes are fine but they are supplements, nothing more.

Excellent advice.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Lean protein really helps to control my appetite. An 8 oz chicken breast will provide you with most if not all of your daily protein.
  • myskinnyyear
    myskinnyyear Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Greek Yogurt, cottage cheese, even the low fat mozzarella snack sticks are good proteins with low fat. Make some good tuna salad, with tuna and eggs, you've got tons of protein. I also buy Julian Bakery Smart Carb bread. It has 12 gr of protein per slice, so for 1 turkey sandwich, you'll get about 30-35 gr of protein, just from a sandwich. You can find a list of stores that carry it from Julianbakery.com. Its about 8.00 per loaf, but I'm the only one who eats it, and it seems to keep longer than regular bread.
    Wheat Germ is also good to add to oatmeal or yogurt, for a little extra boost.
  • FuzzieJelly
    FuzzieJelly Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Greek Yogurt, cottage cheese, even the low fat mozzarella snack sticks are good proteins with low fat. Make some good tuna salad, with tuna and eggs, you've got tons of protein. I also buy Julian Bakery Smart Carb bread. It has 12 gr of protein per slice, so for 1 turkey sandwich, you'll get about 30-35 gr of protein, just from a sandwich. You can find a list of stores that carry it from Julianbakery.com. Its about 8.00 per loaf, but I'm the only one who eats it, and it seems to keep longer than regular bread.
    Wheat Germ is also good to add to oatmeal or yogurt, for a little extra boost.

that sounds soooo good
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Lean protein really helps to control my appetite. An 8 oz chicken breast will provide you with most if not all of your daily protein.

I agree with the suggestion of grilled chicken; I eat that almost every day. But "most of your daily protein?" Whatever. My doctor told me I should be eating at least 250g protein per day. If you're trying to lose weight, best rule of thumb is 1g protein per lb of body weight per day. I started out eating 300g protein per day.

Anyway, to answer the OP's question:
    I keep all kinds of high-protein snacks on hand and nibble throughout the day. Not only does this keep your metabolism from spiking and crashing, and keep you from ever getting really hungry, but it helps you get all your protein in. Hard-boiled eggs are wonderful & convenient, they're my go-to food. Cheese wedges or cheese cubes, beef jerky, grilled chicken strips, bacon strips...
    I like to buy plain Greek yogurt (which is high in protein), then add a little chocolate-flavored protein powder or half of a strawberry crystal light packet. You get the flavor, without the sugar & carbs.

Also, which protein shakes are you using? Some are a lot better than others. Some mix up all gritty and taste like crap. Others are smooth & very tasty. I'd recommend Syntrax Nectar brand, I use a scoop in my drink at almost every meal. If you look online, they offer trial-size packets, so you can order a bunch of different flavors first to see what you like (before committing to a big jar). They have standard flavors like chocolate and vanilla, but also fuzzy navel, lemon tea, cappuccino, strawberry mousse etc.

Good luck to you!
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Almost forgot, you can also get more bang for your buck by choosing veggies that are higher in protein. Spinach, mushrooms, bean sprouts. They're not major protein sources, themselves, but they can boost your numbers & help you reach your goal. Gotta eat some veggies anyway, right? :smile:
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Almost forgot, you can also get more bang for your buck by choosing veggies that are higher in protein. Spinach, mushrooms, bean sprouts. They're not major protein sources, themselves, but they can boost your numbers & help you reach your goal. Gotta eat some veggies anyway, right? :smile:

This ^ add more high protein veggies in here & there along with legumes: high in protein & iron and full of fiber which keeps you full and keeps your digestive system on track.
  • stylistchik
    Options

This ^ add more high protein veggies in here & there along with legumes: high in protein & iron and full of fiber which keeps you full and keeps your digestive system on track.
  • stylistchik
    Options

• lawinkelman
    Options
    Eggs are high in protein. I make hard-boiled eggs, and they are a great snack. Though eggs get a bad rap for cholesterol, the body does need cholesterol for cell membrane fluidity and health. Plus, eggs contain some of the good cholesterol (HDL) too.
  • Hambone23
    Hambone23 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    One MFP member created an amazing list of protein sources on this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/423743-whats-your-favorite-easy-amd-portable-protein. Maybe that'll help. :}
  • Maggie_Pie1
    Maggie_Pie1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Jenny-O 95/5 Turkeyburgers

black beans
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I am not a huge meat eater so I get most of my protein from Greek Yogurt (w/fruit at the bottom), cottage cheese (with some dried ranch sprinkled on top), peanut butter (or PB2 chocolate), string cheese, and eggs. I usually have a meat for dinner (chicken or roast) and I tend to always meet my protein for the day. :smile:
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    Eggs (boiled or scrambled), dishes made with ground turkey or beef (tacos, spaghetti, burgers), protein shakes (pre-made like EAS carb control=walmart, or Muscle Milk=honestly they're good), NUTS, NUTS, NUTS! and seeds. . . eat em up. almonds, sunflower seeds, peanuts, cashews, Brazil nuts, etc. . . beans, soy milk, cow milk, protein bars (cliff builders chocolate is good) and bread (depends on which kind I suppose, check the label mines has a nice amount) Dannon Vanilla Greek yogurt is good, and the only Chobani I like is the lemon kind, nice amount of protein, but of course the plain kind has the most but I'd mix it with something A LOT of something else b/c otherwise it's gross, haha