Struggle for Protein!

Options

Replies

• cecejoy
    cecejoy Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    If you like mushrooms I hear that they have high protein and fiber and are low in fat
  • Hungry_Tuna
    Hungry_Tuna Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    You are really hurting yourself by not eating meat. I recommend that you read a book called "The Vegetarian Myth" by Lierre Keith.
    Lierre Keith was a vegetarian for 20 years. It almost killed her before she learned the truth.

You can read the first 14 pages on Lierre's web page: http://lierrekeith.com/vegmyth.htm
    Watch a video interview with the author on YouTube at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNON5iNf07o

Um, don't second guess your choice based on this one response, because it's obviously biased and untrue. You've made a wonderful decision to go vegetarian, and there are a plethora of protein options out there.
    Nuts, seeds, legumes, grains like quinoa, soya products like tofu or seitan for example, dairy, eggs, some fruits& vegetables (in larger amounts)...

I get my protein through shakes, using powders like Garden of Life's RAW Protein Powder and MLO Milk & Egg protein powder.
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I like to make homemade Tzsatziki sauce with plain Greek Yogurt. The ingredients are really simple, it makes a great dip for veggies and it's very high in protien and low in calories.

Plain Greek Yogurt strained overnight (I use a coffee filter to strain it)
    Shredded Cucumber strained overnight
    Fresh minced garlic
    Salt and pepper to taste
  • kaetra
    Options
    double post
  • kaetra
    Options
    OMG triple post, woopsie!
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    First, a question: how many grams of protein are you looking to eat in one day?

Secondly, I would make absolutely every calorie count. Some foods are purely 'recreational' and add very little of value, other than taste, into the diet. Skip those, and concentrate on nutrient-dense veggies, and other plant foods. Also, sticking to whole grains, instead of refined helps. Every little bit counts.

One day, I ate 1200 of plain fruits and veggies, either raw or lightly steamed --I ended up with 60 grams of protein for the day. Things like broccoli, green peas and bitter greens have loads of protein. I'm not recommending this by the way, but merely stating that people think you need a glop of protein on your plate for it to count. NOT! Look at some of the most powerful animals: vegetarians! You can do this, and hold firm to your ethics.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    First, a question: how many grams of protein are you looking to eat in one day?

Secondly, I would make absolutely every calorie count. Some foods are purely 'recreational' and add very little of value, other than taste, into the diet. Skip those, and concentrate on nutrient-dense veggies, and other plant foods. Also, sticking to whole grains, instead of refined helps. Every little bit counts.

One day, I ate 1200 calories of plain fruits and veggies, either raw or lightly steamed --I ended up with 60 grams of protein for the day. Things like broccoli, green peas and bitter greens have loads of protein. I'm not recommending this by the way, but merely stating that people think you need a glop of protein on your plate for it to count. NOT! Look at some of the most powerful animals: vegetarians! You can do this, and hold firm to your ethics.
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    peanut butter
    Amy's Texas veggie burgers are a favorite of mine and i am not a vegetarian
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    switch back to greek yogurt the energey you get from the protein is worth it.

also try lentils they are the most complete plant protein you can get.
  • msfayzer
    Options
    I used to be veg and still don't eat a lot of meat. I get a lot of protein from soy products. Beans and rice are a really good filling way to get a ton of protein too.

Also, don't listen to this junk about veg being unhealthy. Anyone who got sick off of being veg simply wasn't doing it correctly. In fact, we as Americans eat entirely too much meat to be healthy for us. It should be a once a week or so treat, not a three times a day thing. As long as you follow your nutrients for the first few months to get a good idea of what you need, you will be fine and likely healthier than the average American. If you are truly concerned, go talk to a dietician who can make sure you get everything you need.
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian, but everything everyone here has listed sounds really yummy, so gives me something to think about to add some variety to my diet. Thanks.

I hope the OP finds her protein balance!
  • amyindm
    amyindm Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is worth every calorie (IMO!) and if you're eating lowfat, PLAIN greek yogurt the calorie count is really low. The protein count is so much higher than regular yogurt and like another poster mentioned, if you compare plain greek and lowfat yogurt side by side they have similar calorie counts - yet the Greek variety is nutritionally way more advantageous. I go through a ton of it. It's a bit pricey so I buy the Fage brand at Costco. It's a great addition to other foods too like soup and an easy way to add a little protein without more calories.

I like to eat it with a tablespoon or two of granola for some crunch - it adds about 50 calories or so for me but I love it. I also learned a trick from a friend of mashing up a banana or even a half banana along with some toasted walnuts to throw in with some greek yogurt. The other thing to consider is that Greek yogurt is so thick and rich that you probably won't want to even eat a whole cup. I often eat more like a third of a cup along with some nuts and fruit and I feel full all morning.

Another source of protein that I use are egg whites, or occasionally a whole egg. I make omelets with a sprinkle of goat cheese and spinach inside. Yum. Don't know if you eat eggs or not but thought I'd throw that out there.

I agree on the sources like lentils and quinoa - tasty and so nutritious.

My biggest problem is getting protein easily after a workout when I'm out and about. I know there are protein powders out there but I have heard that a lot of them taste awful. I don't want to drop 250 calories on a protein bar filled with extra sugar and stuff either - especially if it doesn't taste that great. So far I've been mostly bringing Greek yogurt and fruit but ideas for protein on the go are harder for me to come up with.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Are you eating greek yogurt? It has quite a bit of protien in it! :smile:

I was earlier eating Greek yogurt but is it not high in calories? I saw a massive difference in calories in greek and low fat yogurt so I switched to low fat

I don't see how 160 calories is high... it's more filling and has more protein so it's worth the extra calories.
  • Fit_Forever25
    Fit_Forever25 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Why? She's not looking to eat meat nor interested... Drives me nuts when meat eaters 'impose' on vegetarians. She was simply looking for ideas on eating more protein. I don't eat meat simply for the same reasons as the OP. Makes me want to vomit. So let's get back to her original question: more protein ideas:

- Whole eggs (a lot of protein in yolks ;-)
    - Quinoa
    - Beans, split peas, lentils, nuts, seeds, and soy products. These nutrient-dense foods are packed with protein, fiber, minerals, B vitamins, protective antioxidants, and essential fatty acids(1). Sample serving sizes from this group include: ½ cup cooked beans, 4 ounces of tofu or tempeh, 1 cup soy milk, 1 ounce of nuts or seeds, or 2 tablespoons of nut or seed butter.Of course, if you do not have allergies to any of these foods.
    - Yogurt and cheese (given you are not vegan)

And you're not crazy! I'm exactly like you... I see blood, suffering, and all sorts of nasty stuff when I look at meat... not to worry, you are not alone! LOL. I can tell you that 90% of my digestive problems went away when I stopped eating meat all together which was a suggestion form my Family Doctor. I had been to 2 different Gastroenterologists, have had multiples tests done (Barium swallow, colonoscopy, endoscopy, etc...) as for years I suffered with abdominal pain, bloating, acid reflux etc... But not anymore.
    Thankyou LaxMB1 .. I know about Quinoa and I have tried it once but thanks for reminding me again I will try that.
    And Egg yolks are high in fats and calories so I avoid that and eat only whites instead as I already have loads of fats in my body already :sad:
    Yogurt and beans yes I keep eating that and thanks for supporting me :flowerforyou: hehe
    Well my stomach is also very sensitive so I cant digest complex food thats why have to eat loads of vegetables and salads
    thanks for the useful advice :glasses:
  • Fit_Forever25
    Options
    It has calories.... but you need your cals to be from GY, so you're going to have to put the cals towards them. If you're doing 1200 calories, you can easily put 400 towards the protein and get 100g. whether it be shakes, (there are delish ones), GY, Cottage cheese, egg whites, etc. The thing about shakes, GY, and cottage cheese, is their highest macro IS protein. You don't have to drink the protein either. Use it to flavor stuff.
    Yes I am doing 1200 calories and I love food :love:
    So I always struggle with tasty food but high in protein which is rare I guess :embarassed:
    I have eaten loads of cottage cheese as well but everytime when I eat cottage cheese I had to eat some sort of crisps or biscuits with it otherwise I find it veryyyyyy bland and tasteless .. hehe Its difficult for people like me .. but I will try that again!
  • Fit_Forever25
    Options
    I like to make homemade Tzsatziki sauce with plain Greek Yogurt. The ingredients are really simple, it makes a great dip for veggies and it's very high in protien and low in calories.

Plain Greek Yogurt strained overnight (I use a coffee filter to strain it)
    Shredded Cucumber strained overnight
    Fresh minced garlic
    Salt and pepper to taste
    That sounds interesting .. I will try that for sure thanks :flowerforyou:
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Seitan and tempeh are my two favorite vegetarian protein sources. Seitan packs around the same amount of protein as an equal amount of skinless chicken breast, and has a great chewy, savory texture that lends itself well to just about any stew or roast recipe you like! Tempeh is great too, and gives a certain amount of "nuttiness" to the party.

Other than those, veggie burger patties are great (I'm a big fan of the Boca vegan patties myself). I also supplement with protein powder, so don't be afraid to use that if you aren't hitting your protein goals! I mix mine into oatmeal because I don't love the taste when consumed with water as a shake.

Pay no attention to the veggie-bashing posts in this thread - any diet is unhealthy if you aren't getting the proper nutrients. There is no nutrient we can't get from plant- or bacteria-based foods.
  • InnerPinup79
    Options
    I agree with Greek yogurt. I tend to get plain because the flavored ones are really high in sugar and my goal is high protein low sugar. I'm much more satisfied throughout the day when I stick to this route. Yes high protein items may be high in calories but its satisfying and chances are will keep you near your desired intake. I will add protein powder or nuts and honey or fruit depending on my mood because I personally feel like I'm eating sour cream when it comes to eating Greek yogurt.

I like muscle milk banana flavored powder I get at vitamin shoppe. I also love Walmarts brand. It's very low in sugar and 26g of protein per scoop. The flavor of these are so good I can actually mix them with water (i never thought I would like). I also love to add my powder to plain oatmeal because I know this crap is good for you but I hate the taste of plain oatmeal

Protein bars for the most part are so gross and hard for me to eat. However I just found one that is palliatable called "think thin". The peanutbutter and white chocolate are the best and the sugar is little to none
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese, Greek yogurt (w/fruit at the bottom - worth the extra calories imo) and eat the whole egg (not just the whites), peanut butter.
  • Fochizzy
    Fochizzy Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I like Hummus for protein, I am not a vegetarian (anymore) but I really like it and it helps me with my protein