Struggle for Protein!

Options
13»

Replies

• tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I also drink protein shake (but I don't like it as its high in calories and not that great taste)

Try Da Vinci Whey protein - tastes amazing and only 120 calories. I love the chocolate! Great post-workout.
  • lynnarnsdorf
    Options
    I use a scoop of Trader Joe's vanilla whey protein powder in my fruit smoothie....adds no discernable taste. I start with one cup of Dannon light and fit non-fat vanilla yogurt...add a few frozen strawberries, frozen blueberries, frozen pineapple, half a banana..some flaxseed, the protein powder...a kiwi if I have it. It all comes to about 336 calories but it is SO filling, and tastes like a dream....it's 16 g of protein, right out of the shoot.
  • Raclex
    Raclex Posts: 238
    Options
    You are really hurting yourself by not eating meat. I recommend that you read a book called "The Vegetarian Myth" by Lierre Keith.
    Lierre Keith was a vegetarian for 20 years. It almost killed her before she learned the truth.

You can read the first 14 pages on Lierre's web page: http://lierrekeith.com/vegmyth.htm
    Watch a video interview with the author on YouTube at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNON5iNf07o

Why? She's not looking to eat meat nor interested... Drives me nuts when meat eaters 'impose' on vegetarians. She was simply looking for ideas on eating more protein. I don't eat meat simply for the same reasons as the OP. Makes me want to vomit. So let's get back to her original question: more protein ideas:

- Whole eggs (a lot of protein in yolks ;-)
    - Quinoa
    - Beans, split peas, lentils, nuts, seeds, and soy products. These nutrient-dense foods are packed with protein, fiber, minerals, B vitamins, protective antioxidants, and essential fatty acids(1). Sample serving sizes from this group include: ½ cup cooked beans, 4 ounces of tofu or tempeh, 1 cup soy milk, 1 ounce of nuts or seeds, or 2 tablespoons of nut or seed butter.Of course, if you do not have allergies to any of these foods.
    - Yogurt and cheese (given you are not vegan)

And you're not crazy! I'm exactly like you... I see blood, suffering, and all sorts of nasty stuff when I look at meat... not to worry, you are not alone! LOL. I can tell you that 90% of my digestive problems went away when I stopped eating meat all together which was a suggestion form my Family Doctor. I had been to 2 different Gastroenterologists, have had multiples tests done (Barium swallow, colonoscopy, endoscopy, etc...) as for years I suffered with abdominal pain, bloating, acid reflux etc... But not anymore.

Like that :)
    Around 20% of worlds population is vegetarian...

One Interesting calculation though :)
    Following is the list of typical protein content by calories for these group of food items:
    e.g. if a food has 2 grams proteins (4x2=8 calories, each protein gram has 4 calories) and total calories in the food item is 100, then it has 8%)
    Fruits 5-10%
    Vegetables: 15-50% (e.g. 50% in Spinach)
    Grains 15-20%
    Semi Skimmed Milk : 16%
    Lentils and Beans : 30%

^^That's very interesting! Thanx!
  • Fit_Forever25
    Fit_Forever25 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot guys.. each post was really useful :bigsmile: I will definitely try to add these food in my diet and improve the protein intake .. Thanks again! n Njoy!!! :drinker:
  • jilld76
    jilld76 Posts: 324
    Options
    I just recently found Special K Protein Plus cereal, it has 10 grams of protein in 3/4 of a cup. I have been mixing it with my greek yogurt and fruit in the mornings and it gives me 28 grams of protein to start the day.

Just thought I'd share in case you want to look for it.
  • Fit_Forever25
    Fit_Forever25 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I just recently found Special K Protein Plus cereal, it has 10 grams of protein in 3/4 of a cup. I have been mixing it with my greek yogurt and fruit in the mornings and it gives me 28 grams of protein to start the day.

Just thought I'd share in case you want to look for it.
    Well thats really nice!
    thanks so much :-) I will try that for sure
  • Fit_2013
    Fit_2013 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I truly think this wonderful discussion just my opinion from observation lentils truly are a power house of nutrients not only they are high fiber, high protein but they also prevent colon cancer. India where lentils is a daily dish colon cancer is a lot less. In the western countries colon cancer at age of early to late forties is so prevalent.
    Lentils definetely has carbs but it sure outweighs the good which comes with it.