In case you were wondering?????

Options
If you think of your chores as workouts to keep you looking your best when you may not have time to visit the gym during the holidays, you may find extra bursts of energy to complete tasks you been putting off like rearranging the furniture that can burn as many as 240 calories in about 30 minutes. Enjoy writing letters and cards for a couple hours and burn about 150 calories or get out and chop wood for an hour and burn off close to 500 calories. Drive for a couple hours to burn more than 300 hundred calories and then take care of an elderly relative for a couple hours for an additional 650-calorie loss.

Replies

• Purpleflipflops
    Purpleflipflops Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    You burn calories driving??
    Wow, Did not know.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Anyone who considers writing letter or driving exercise is seriously deluding themselves.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Um no. If driving and writing were exercise, I would not have gained weight in the first place.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Anyone who considers writing letter or driving exercise is seriously deluding themselves.

ya
  • melissammundy
    Options
    Um no. If driving and writing were exercise, I would not have gained weight in the first place.

She said THINK of them as exercise to help you complete tasks you've been putting off, i think as motivation. she didnt say it would make you lose weight.
  • LindLTailor
    LindLTailor Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I hear what you are saying: live an active as possible lifestyle. I do not think there is a a substitute for exercise though. One thing I did at one point in my life was dig into "Dance, Dance, Revolution". It was a good way to get an easy burn when I did not have any time to do much else.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

She said THINK of them as exercise to help you complete tasks you've been putting off, i think as motivation. she didnt say it would make you lose weight.

but why think of them as exercise? they are not exercise.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    dp
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Actually she said they would burn a specific amount of calories, which WOULD make you lose weight. Or, if we go by your logic, and say they don't make us lose weight, then what exactly is motivating about it?
  • Jackie9950
    Jackie9950 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I would consider these parts of my daily routine and I think if you count them as exercise you are going to have a struggle losing weight. I think your right on that being more active at home will encourage more of a active lifestyle in general but I wouldn't ever count them as exercise, especially if I eat back my exercise calories. Its a nice thought though. :)
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Sitting in my comfy chair, reading posts on MFP, and watching TV burns calories. Sleeping burns calories. None of which I count towards my exercise for the day.

Doing things that the OP suggested is being a good person - writing notes, visiting the elderly - but I agree with a PP, you may be deluding yourself if you elect to eat those calories back as MFP already takes into consideration normal activity in its daily calorie allowance.
  • melissammundy
    Options
    Actually she said they would burn a specific amount of calories, which WOULD make you lose weight. Or, if we go by your logic, and say they don't make us lose weight, then what exactly is motivating about it?

You don't get my point. I mean the motivation to help you complete tasks you've been putting off as she said. i would never count that as exercise & btw i never eat back my exercise calories.
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options

Listen up, Eeyore, it works like this to all the people who DON'T run around complaining and arguing and bringing people down...... To know that you have done some things you would have put off, or to help you understand how many calories in an average day you expend. I don't think she was suggesting you go out and eat a fried oreo just because you drove an hour. I understand the sentiment. It is just a nice thought to help you lift your spirits. Sometimes, that is all a person needs to make sure that they get that run in the afternoon. Some people like to think of the positive aspects of life. I know that is hard for you to understand, but please try. The Debbie Downer routine is getting REALLY old.
  • melissammundy
    Options

Listen up, Eeyore, it works like this to all the people who DON'T run around complaining and arguing and bringing people down...... To know that you have done some things you would have put off, or to help you understand how many calories in an average day you expend. I don't think she was suggesting you go out and eat a fried oreo just because you drove an hour. I understand the sentiment. It is just a nice thought to help you lift your spirits. Sometimes, that is all a person needs to make sure that they get that run in the afternoon. Some people like to think of the positive aspects of life. I know that is hard for you to understand, but please try. The Debbie Downer routine is getting REALLY old.

exactly
  • seehawkmomma
    Options

here here
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    You burn calories driving??
    Wow, Did not know.

I can't imagine driving burns twice as many calories as writing a letter unless you are driving a Flintstone's car. Maybe you'd burn that much if you were off-road and had to fight to keep the Jeep out of the ditches and upright.
  • drizzella
    Options
    Actually any activity can be assigned a certain number of calories that you can burn. Getting frustrated with this post will probably burn more calories than just smiling and recognizing the thought that some people during the holidays may not be able to get to the gym and do "burns", "reps", and the treadmill. If you want to be successful at losing weight, Eat less (High Calorie/High Fat/High Sugar foods), exercise more(however you can get your body to move) and don't sweat the small stuff.
  • iamvillanueva
    Options
    Tough crowd today, lighten up people!