Can't take in enough gosh-darn calories!

Options
I don't know why, but as soon as I started watching what I ate, I can't take in enough calories! I usually come in about 200 cals below my recommended (almost 1400).

Then, if I decide to do something silly like exercise... for just a half hour walk and a half hour exercise tape, I'm going to have to eat 600 extra calories!

Today I have an extra 800 calories I need to eat. How on earth am I supposed to do that while eating healthily? I'd have to eat 10 apples to make up that deficit!

I'm not big on grains, other than pasta, so that's out. I'm eating more than enough food... I'm always full (sometimes TOO full), but MFP says otherwise.

Help! I know this is essential, but I can't find a way to do it without resorting to the bag of Mini-Eggs we have in the cupboard.

Replies

• blackbeltfairy
    Options
    I don't know why, but as soon as I started watching what I ate, I can't take in enough calories! I usually come in about 200 cals below my recommended (almost 1400).

Then, if I decide to do something silly like exercise... for just a half hour walk and a half hour exercise tape, I'm going to have to eat 600 extra calories!

Today I have an extra 800 calories I need to eat. How on earth am I supposed to do that while eating healthily? I'd have to eat 10 apples to make up that deficit!

I'm not big on grains, other than pasta, so that's out. I'm eating more than enough food... I'm always full (sometimes TOO full), but MFP says otherwise.

Help! I know this is essential, but I can't find a way to do it without resorting to the bag of Mini-Eggs we have in the cupboard.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    eat nuts or nut butter. They are higher in calories but have good nutrients
  • blackbeltfairy
    Options
    I didn't even think to pick up the bag of Tamari almonds!

Mmm... seriously, if you haven't given them a try, they're the best nuts I've ever eaten.
  • MattySparky
    MattySparky Posts: 771
    Options
    Ditto... PEANUT BUTTER (natural unsalted is best)... average 1 tablespoon = 100 cals... you do the math... cram 4 tablespoons in your mouth and wash it down with a glass of milk and you'll have taken a huge chunk out of your remaining cals. It sounds silly but what else are you going to do?
  • blondie_girl14
    blondie_girl14 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    i wouldnt freak out, so what if you dont eat all of ur calories today, its not a big deal :happy:
  • jennbarrette
    jennbarrette Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Try drinking a glass of milk with a couple meals each day. Lots of good nutrients, and some extra calories.
  • blackbeltfairy
    Options
    I like the peanut butter idea. Rather than eating spoonfuls, though, I think I'll whip out my old friend celery.

I wish I could drink milk... but dairy products are a no-go for me. Lactose does nasty things to me.

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone!
  • pepprmnt3
    pepprmnt3 Posts: 1
    Options
    You have to make sure that u eat otherwise u r putting your body in starvation mode and that is not healthy. Make sure that you eat and drink the water. Make sure that you dont go below 1200 calories otherwise you really should be watched by a doctor. Eat I do and love it cause I have not given anything up that I like I just do it in moderation, I drink wine, eat cookies and really noticing a difference. A diet is not supposed to be frustratin it is to get u in a better way Good luck
  • blondie_girl14
    blondie_girl14 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    well spoken pepprmnt3
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I DESPISE you people that have a hard time eating all your calories! :laugh:

Ugh.....that is so frustrating to hear! I so wish I had your problem!
  • SummerBaby73
    SummerBaby73 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I can't seem to get in my daily calories. Yesterday I had 300 plus cals left. But I wasn't to worried as long as I was over 1200 I was fine!
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    try slicing up a large bananan 105 cals, 1 tablespoon of peanut butter, 100 cals, 1/4 cups of almonds 160 cals

total amount of cals 365
    lots of protein and potassium goodness :D
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    first off, this whole not eating grains thing REALLY frustrates me. eating healthy, whole grains is very important. They are higher in calories too, which would help you: pick up some whole grain crackers and much away on them. Add cheese to your day too, lots of calcium and higher in calories. meats are good additions too. Increase all your portion sizes ever so slightly so that you don't even notice that you're eating more, but it's reflected in your calorie intake.

Consistently eating too few calories is really harmful, and can make weight loss difficult.
  • HealthierMamasita
    HealthierMamasita Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    *gives iceprincess the 233 cals I have left*