Fish..if you don't like fish! :(

Options
slay0r
slay0r Posts: 669 Member
Hey guys!

I keep getting told to put more fish in my diet but I can't STAND the taste or the smell. I can easily have some Tuna from a can, or some small prawns (seriously can't eat the king prawns I just find them disgusting)

What fish tastes the most meaty and least fishy that's still good if that makes sense? Or does anyone have recipes for the things that do taste fishy?

I tried Salmon fillets a couple of days ago with a bit of butter in the oven and it just made me feel sick!

Replies

• melissammundy
    Options
    same here, i can not stand the smell!
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I hate all fish and seafood. As I always say.." never eat something that swims in its own pee"

Why eat it if you don't like it? Take fish oil capsules if you want the healthy oils...don't waste calories on something you don't even like!!
  • slay0r
    slay0r Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Thing is I had something called Halibut the other day at a thai resturant and it was actually gorgeous, really meaty fish!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    If you don't like it, you don't have to eat it. There are whole cultures who have never had a fish and they're just fine.

That said, definitely steer clear of salmon. It's very strong-flavored. If you like tuna, you can buy tuna filets so it's fancier and feels more like dinner. Whitefish tends not to be so fishy. Tilapia is not super-strong.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    If you don't like it, I'd suggest getting those nutrients from elsewhere. But if you're really determined... try some fresh fish. It isn't supposed to smell like that.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Salmon would be the last thing I would try! As much as I love it, it has a very distinct and strong taste.

Have you tried milder fish like tilapia or basa? They are easy to season and cook quickly. However, they are often farm raised under some questionable conditions. More expensive, but very tasty, is sea bass (some varieties have been considered overfished).

Halibut is lovely, as is cod.

Whatever you choose, be careful not to overcook it.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I'm exactly the same! Canned tuna and little prawns are my limit.
    I recently tried smoked haddock fillet and liked that, it it is not as over powering as other fish. I still wouldn't choose it over something else though!
  • anhancock10
    anhancock10 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Im allergic to fish, but if i wasnt i still dont like the smell or taste so i feel ya!
  • PedmomJill
    PedmomJill Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Oh yuck, salmon is the stinkiest fish!

I am the same-can't stand to eat something that doesn't smell good.

I do like tilapia, grouper, orange roughy, and cod. Those don't have the overpowering taste and smell.
  • Trishaf66
    Trishaf66 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Halibut and Sturgeon are both really good I think and I normally don't like fish.
  • aregensb
    aregensb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I used to hate fish and did not eat it for about 5 years. I have reintroduced it to my diet and don't mind most fish (as long as they don't taste horribly fishy!). I still avoid shellfish (except for crab... yum!). I actually started eating fish again because I tried sushi and really enjoyed it. I guess because its consistency is different from cooked shrimp. Sushi's consistency kind of makes me think of lunch meat and it doesn't have too strong a smell since it's not cooked.

I eat other fish now too and tend to have them on the med rare side. I only buy fresh fish, like tuna steaks or salmon filets. You can find pretty decent sales at the store sometimes too.

Edit: embarrassing its/it's typo, nooo!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Try Tilapia and/or Cod both a very mild fish (no fishy taste or smell)... I broil it and then add alittle salsa on top with steamed veggies.... I have always hated fishy tasting fish too and these I can eat with no problem.... We buy our cod and tilapia in bulk at Sams Club.... They are individually wrap so you only need get out what you use...
  • vaman
    vaman Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Cod, haddock and flounder are all delicious mild tasting (not fishy) fish ;) Fresh is preferable, but frozen can be good too. Be careful not to overcook!
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!

I keep getting told to put more fish in my diet but I can't STAND the taste or the smell. I can easily have some Tuna from a can, or some small prawns (seriously can't eat the king prawns I just find them disgusting)

What fish tastes the most meaty and least fishy that's still good if that makes sense? Or does anyone have recipes for the things that do taste fishy?

I tried Salmon fillets a couple of days ago with a bit of butter in the oven and it just made me feel sick!

Enteric Coated Triple Strength Fish Oils. Make sure the EPA is at least 2:1 the DHA.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    There are many types of fish - and the variety range is immense.

Try going to the fresh fish counter of your market and asking them what they recommend (freshest, etc.) - tell them what you didn't like and why - they can steer you clear of similar items and maybe get you to try something you wouldn't normally try. And ask them about preparation options.

Here are some of my favorites:

Basa - very mild, thin fillets that cook fast - I like to quickly saute them with a little white cornmeal in olive oil
    Wahoo - similar to Mahi Mahi IMHO but thicker, which allows you to cook them like you would a pork tenderloin - I like to to do a herb/salt crust and grill them over high heat, leaving the center medium or medium rare
    Tilapia - very versatile, very tasty - my favorite method is to grill filets with just a little salt on well-oiled grates (otherwise they stick) - while you're at it, grill some squash, zucchini and other veggies as a side dish
    Scallops - because they're scallops - (drooling now)
    Catfish - blackened - because is there any other way to eat it?
    Dover sole - similar to basa - extremely mild - I like to make pinwheels with spinach & cheese or layer it in a casserole with tomatoes, oregano and jack cheese
    Tuna - Grilled or pan seared to rare or medium rare - then slice it thin and serve on a salad
    Cioppino - Italian stew of shellfish, whitefish, shallots, garlic, white wine, basil, tomatoes, etc. - Fabulous

If the fish is fresh, don't be afraid to leave the center moist (medium) or even rare, but it depends on the fish - Tuna IMO is delicious rare or raw, but inedible if cooked through - but catfish is kind of mushy and unpleasant if not cooked through.

A final note: aside from a few exceptions, if you fish smells fishy, it's not fresh
  • april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    swordfish - it's perfect plain and grilled....*drool* and i hate hate hate hate hate hate seafood.

the only way i realy like salmon is smoked...its expensive like that but totally try a small piece from a seafood store..i live in new england right on the water so we have tons of them around...nto sure where you live but if you have fish markets, get it smoked...DELISH!
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I used to hate fish and did not eat it for about 5 years. I have reintroduced it to my diet and don't mind most fish (as long as they don't taste horribly fishy!). I still avoid shellfish (except for crab... yum!). I actually started eating fish again because I tried sushi and really enjoyed it. I guess because its consistency is different from cooked shrimp. Sushi's consistency kind of makes me think of lunch meat and it doesn't have too strong a smell since it's not cooked.

I eat other fish now too and tend to have them on the med rare side. I only buy fresh fish, like tuna steaks or salmon filets. You can find pretty decent sales at the store sometimes too.

I love, love, love that you caught it!
  • pucenavel
    Options

I love, love, love that you caught it!

Hey! How do you edit posts?

I hate it when I catch an error just after hitting the Post button.
  • pucenavel
    Options
    Never mind - I just found the 'Edit' button.

Edit - and I've just tried it :smile:
  • banana1244
    Options
    TILAPIA!!!!! With garlic and (lightly added) butter, it's DELICIOUS!!!!!