Exercise After Dinner/ stop eating time

Options
I just wanted to take a poll and see if people who exercise after dinner, or just at night in general, eat after that work out.

Is there are certain time you stop eating? Do you have a postworkout snack no matter what time you exercise?

Replies

• Kinkerbelle
    Options
    I stop eating 3 hours prior to bedtime. I try to anyway. Its something i read somewhere a long time ago.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to take a poll and see if people who exercise after dinner, or just at night in general, eat after that work out.

Is there are certain time you stop eating? Do you have a postworkout snack no matter what time you exercise?

You can eat right up till you go to bed with no ill effects on weight loss.
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Options

You can eat right up till you go to bed with no ill effects on weight loss.

^^^ This. Some people have are able to sleep better, etc. if they eat at different times, but it will not affect your weight loss efforts.

And to answer your question, yes, I always refuel after a workout, no matter what time. My body needs it!
  • CBranson0503
    Options
    I always work out in the late afternoon/evening. I usually start my workout some time between 4 PM and 7 PM. On the days I start at 4, I always eat dinner after those workouts. If I workout after dinner, I always have a post-workout snack. Something to replenish some protein and carbs. Usually it's chocolate milk.
  • SeaSiren1
    SeaSiren1 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter. I personally am not hungry directly after training, I also can't train on a full stomach.
  • rageena_falangee
    Options
    I only work out at night, I'm not at all a morning person. I generally don't eat after just because I've always been told not to eat after 8pm. Good to hear it wont effect you since my workouts generally don't start until 8-8:30pm.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options

I eat right before bed - a glass of vino and something light.

I used to fix dinner again about this time, and right before bed is when my cravings roar the loudest.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,220 Member
    Options
    If I have the calories left I will eat all the way to bedtime. There is no reason not to as the clinical studies are showing. The problem with people eating at night would be eating mindlessly and going over the calories needed to maintain your weight.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I workout when I get home from work, usually 6:00 - 6:30 for about an hour. I eat my evening meal, which usually comprises close to half my daily calories around 8:30 - 9:00 p.m. on most days. I don't have a cutoff time to stop eating.
  • MsClaudiaMarie
    Options
    I usually have dinner around 6-6:30....gym 7:30-9...hungry or not I always make sure I have something small to eat before I go to bed. Either small bowl of oatmeal/cereal or mixed nuts.
  • LastSixtySix
    LastSixtySix Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I have to workout at night but I don't prefer to for a couple of reasons: #1) Vigorous exercise keeps me awake and I need my beauty sleep :wink: ; #2) Vigorous exercises suppresses any appetite I might have had for a least a couple of hours so no need to eat after.

After I turned 50 my metabolism really slowed so to give weight loss an edge I usually do not eat anything after 7pm.

Just me though! - Debra (the LastSixty)
  • dissonancesquared
    Options
    If I have the calories left I will eat all the way to bedtime. There is no reason not to as the clinical studies are showing. The problem with people eating at night would be eating mindlessly and going over the calories needed to maintain your weight.

this.
  • MattArcade
    MattArcade Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I normally work out about 7pm/8pm when the gym is at its quietest. Plus means I get food in before I train and then I eat after my work out also :)
  • likeaphoenix28
    Options
    I workout after work, 5pm, then eat dinner afterwards.
  • MHunte
    MHunte Posts: 149
    Options
    I normally have about 100 or 200 calories left around 4-5o'clock in the afternoon so i go to the gym and burn off about 800-900 calories,then take my protein shake within 30 mins after my workout and have dinner, most of the time i end up with about 50- 100 calories under my goal.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    most of the time i exercise after dinner. not RIGHT after, but when the kids are sleeping. i almost always have a post-workout snack as well. i dont have a real cut off time for eating - sometimes i have a few bites in bed before i lay down lol
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I usually go over on dinner if I haven't already worked out for the day so I work out after that to get myself at least just at my calorie goal and don't eat afetrwards.. Usually by then It's shopwer and bed time for me anywho so it's not like I'm hungry and denying ymself.
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I always need to eat just before bed, when I exercise in the evening is not an exception to this. So I never go to bed after exercising without eating.
  • april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I workout when I get home from work, usually 6:00 - 6:30 for about an hour. I eat my evening meal, which usually comprises close to half my daily calories around 8:30 - 9:00 p.m. on most days. I don't have a cutoff time to stop eating.

i LOVE your picture :)

on the topic at hand, i dont have a cutoff time for eating - just a cutoff of calories for the day total...
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    I workout sometime between 6-9pm, and eat dinner between 8-9:30pm almost every weekday.