I ran THREE MILES! Without stopping!

Options
I don't consider myself a runner -- I've always been short and pudgy, and when I was in high school, I shattered a bone in my foot which I thought would keep me from ever running any significant distance.

A few years ago, when I started being more active, I got to the point where I could run an 11 minute mile, but I couldn't sustain it for more than a mile or so at a time. Recently, I've been doing a running circuit a couple mornings a week that's about 2.5 miles, with a super steep hill halfway through that I would normally walk up. My time has been coming down on that circuit -- when I started, it took me around 40 minutes, and now I'm at 32.

Anyway, at the gym last night, I thought I'd try to run three miles, at a 12.5-13 minute pace. And, I DID IT!! 39 minutes for THREE MILES! I'm so pumped!

A colleague of mine suggested a couple days ago that we sign up for a Valentine's day 5k fun run. I was feeling a little intimidated, but now? Bring it on! Woo!

Replies

• bflicker11
    Options
    I'm so impressed, seriously!!!! That's been my goal and I haven't reached it...YET. WAY TO GO!!!!!!
  • dissonancesquared
    Options
    awesome!! i can still remember how hard it was when i first started running to even persist for more than 2-3 minutes without feeling like i was going to die... its such a great feeling looking back and realizing how far you've come. keep up the great work!
  • gailosborne
    Options
    Congratulations - what a great accomplishment!!! Well done!
  • Primalgal
    Primalgal Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Fantastic!! I'm up to running 2 miles without stopping and am shooting for running a whole 5k with no walking! You did it! Sign up for that 5k & have a blast!

Lori
  • chubiD
    chubiD Posts: 260
    Options
    That is an amazing feeling! Enjoy it!!

I say sign up for the 5k, you have plenty of time to train!
  • sylvuz323
    sylvuz323 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Great work...that's one of my goals too. I did one mile without stopping just last week but it was more of a jog.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    That is AWESOME! Congrats and keep going!
  • brybre0413
    brybre0413 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Great job! I can't hang yet but I am getting there! Takes time and patience and you got both girl!
  • theprettyone1010
    theprettyone1010 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Awesome success! I can only run for 30 seconds, so I'm very happy for you!
  • soccer8s
    soccer8s Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    That rocks!!! Great job!
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    No small feat! Congrats! Absolutely run a 5K and have fun!
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    this was one of the best feelings for me!!

CONGRATS!!
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    Great job, keep up all the awesome effort!
  • TheAncientMariner
    TheAncientMariner Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I remember crying the first time I did it, lol! Keep being awesome!
  • CRMrunner
    CRMrunner Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Over Christmas, my 87yo grandfather told me to "lean forward and keep moving your legs." Sounds like you're on the way. Nice work.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    That's amazing, good luck for that 5 k! I've just got up to 2 miles in the last month can't wait till I can do 3 :)
  • The 5k in under 30m was my goal.

Keep it up and you'll be doing 26 miles before you know it!
  • loseramy68
    Options
    Congrats! I remember crying the first time I did it, lol! Keep being awesome!

I did, too!

Congrats on completing your three miles. It is a huge accomplishment!!
  • LMHinson15
    LMHinson15 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    SUPER inspirational!!

I'm working on running a 5K now... and can only run for 1 1/2 minutes at a time... running a mile seems like a dream, and 3 miles!?! Pshhhh... BUT it's great to hear that it DOES happen with time and dedication!!
  • FiremanSam111
    Options
    That is so awesome! No doubt you'll have the running "bug" now! I'm still trying to catch it again. I used to wake up and HAVE to run. Keep it up!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!