filling afternoon snack?

Options
Can anyone suggest a good filling afternoon snack? Yesterday was my first day and that was my downfall. I had an apple and some carrotts but was so hungry while waiting for supper to be ready, I binged on a few bad choices.
What would be a better choice for me that would last a bit longer than my fruit/veggies?

Replies

• mjbrenner
    mjbrenner Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I find that 1/2 cup of full fat cottage cheese or 1/2 cup of canned beans (drained and rinsed) will help me to feel full for a while. Each has similar calories to a large apple.
  • Fruit_Girl
    Fruit_Girl Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Special K Protein Snack bars are good at only 90 calories. Sugar free Jell-o is my favorite! 10 calories. Sargento String Cheese 50calories. Cheerios or Fiber one cereal.
  • mjoy18
    mjoy18 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I normally eat an apple with a tablespoon of peanut butter and it fills me up more than just eating the apple alone. I also like Fiber One bars :)
  • Anelda
    Anelda Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Anything high in protein would be the best as protein keeps you the fullest the longest: Cottage cheese, greek yogurt, a protein bar, protein shake, a small can of tuna, shredded chicken and crackers.

An apple is a complex carb with a whole lot of sugar, no protein to speak of. A carrot is a complex carb, with an insignificant amount of fat and some sugar. Also no protein. Neither of these are going to keep you full long term.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    unsalted almonds, greek yogurt, low sodium/low sugar peanut butter-- all good options for me when I'm really hungry between meals.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    duplicate post
  • steffiejoe
    steffiejoe Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    unsalted almonds or a boiled egg.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Something with protein and fat to go along with your fruit and/or veggies. Cottage cheese is good, greek yogurt, protein shake, hummus with your veggies, peanut butter with your fruit.....
  • rsdgirl
    rsdgirl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    i love 100 calorie popcorn bags personally
  • rsdgirl
    rsdgirl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    i love 100 calorie popcorn bags personally
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Fiber One Chocolate brownies. 90 calories, a ton of fiber to help you feel full, and it curbs the craving for chocolate.
  • ChanlynMay
    ChanlynMay Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Awesome ideas! Thanks everyone. I am going to stop at the grocery store on my way home and pick some up. That is why I have always gained my weight back, I have never taken the time to learn about proper nutrition, just quick fixes. This site is very helpful!!
  • crudd12
    Options
    a low fat mozerella cheese stick and an apple
  • Shoechick5
    Shoechick5 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I microwave a tablespoon of peanut butter to dip my apple slices in.
  • Droppinelbees
    Droppinelbees Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Fiber one bars are good like several had said. Also I like oatmeal because it is filling but almost threw up trying to eat it without any sugar or anything. I now put one tablespoon of Nutella in my oatmeal and it is the "bomb" snack that will keep you full and not make you gag trying to force it down.
  • Droppinelbees
    Droppinelbees Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yep, all natural peanut butter and apple slices are another good one... I've even done it with a tablespoon of Nutella.
  • TriciaAllen7251
    TriciaAllen7251 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Protein, protein and more protein. And if you can add some type of healthy fat that's even better.
  • SharadaRose
    Options
    Protien but mix it up or you will get sick of the same things over and over. I love nuts peanut butter ect..
  • SharadaRose
    Options
    well that doesnt sound right does it LOL:blushing:
  • barbwirelaceandroses
    Options
    I just had 1/4 cup walnuts, and they really filled me up for only 180 calories. :)