Anyone crazy enough out there to take on a half-marathon?

Options

Replies

• VAMommyAgain
    VAMommyAgain Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Here here! My goal for the past 4 yrs has been to do a half marathon by the time I turned 40 (I wasn't sure if I was going to be done having kids by 38). Well, since I AM indeed finished having more kids I've decided to run one this year. The biggest one in my area is at the end of September so I have LOTS of time to get some weight off and train. I got the Hal Higdon 13.1 mile training app for my iPhone. Love it so far....it's a 12 wk training program (I figure I'll just run through it twice before the marathon) and it tells you specifically how far to run, when to run and what other things to be doing to be in optimal shape.
  • jjteddy1982
    Options
    YUP!!! by kilometer 17 I was more mentally tired than phisically.. but feels great when you cross the finish line
  • sarahtroupe
    Options
    I'm DOING ONE IN APRIL....
  • heykatieben
    heykatieben Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I'm doing one in April, too! :) Good luck everyone!!
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I've got a few halves under my belt. To date I've crossed 35 half marathon finish lines and one full marathon.

I'm doing a half marathon in every state. In 18 days I will have done a half in 36 different states. By the end of 2012 I hope to have 43 medals from 43 different states.

In the summer of '10 I did five half marathons in 15 days. This past summer I did 8 in seven weeks. You see, I can do them 'thar marathons ... just takes me 2 days to get 'em done.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I just decided to train for one April 14th! I have been running about 20 miles per week and I kind of combined a few plans I liked to make a (what I consider) reasonable training schedule. I hope we both make it!
  • sjtreely
    Options
    Okay then! I guess I need to find a race in May....

Indiana hosts the largest half marathon in the nation in May. The Indy Mini that coincides with the Indy 500. It's at the first of the month.

You can find many events on runningintheusa.com. You can sort by date, state, distance, etc. It's a great site.
  • thunt1990
    thunt1990 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Mine is in 17 days!! Its the Phoenix PF Changs Rock and Roll Marathon
    Im a little worried but super excited. I cant wait to see the finish line and get my medal.
  • AliceIsRunning
    AliceIsRunning Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I agree about needing goals to stay focused.

Which is why I'm going to be running my first Half at the Tinkerbell Half Marathon at Disneyland January 29th! I'm so excited!

I've caught the running bug and plan to run maybe 2-3 other half marathon in 2012!
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I am doing one in May.

I trained for one in October and the Wed before the race, my FIL passed away and his visitation was out of state the day of the race.

I was bummed to miss out on it...all that training.

Now, I need to ramp back up. I have been slacking on the running now that it is winter and we have had tons of snow here in CO.
  • gigiangelique
    gigiangelique Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I just signed up for a 5k today thats as crazy as i get http://www.chefsforkids.org/events.html
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Doing my first one in April... if I like it I have two more scoped out. : )
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Training for my first one right now. March 4th - Rock and Roll New Orleans Half.

I'm terrified and excited at the same time. LOL
  • stevenronaldson
    Options
    I did one in October, it was really rewarding! My two biggest tips would be:

Get an iPod wiht a good selection of songs, and a full battery charge. Running for 2 hours is going to be a little boring! Make sure you have something you can just tune out to when you're on your way.

Second: Don't worry about it... people of all fitness levels take part. Even if you were to walk at a reasonable pace the entire way you'd finish it in around 3 hours, so just set off slow. The first few miles will be tough, as will the middle mile and the last one, if my experience was anything to go by, but you will be guided along by the other runners, any crowd cheering people along etc.

What I did was try to pick someone in the distance ahead of me and try to keep them in sight. If I over-took them, or they ended up too far away from me, I picked someone else. There are water breaks every couple of miles: use them! If you're struggling, walk a bit while you drink your water... but keep your limbs moving or it will be tough to get started again.

I didn't do very much training for it, and so found it tough, but honestly, keep in mind that there are people in their 60s+ taking part and finishing. If they can, why can't you?!

If you are struggling at any stage, bring this man to mind:

http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/tsminteractive.com/files/2011/10/Fauja-Singh-2011-10-17.jpg

100 years old and finished a full marathon - wow. Knowing that a 100 year old man has finished double the distance you're feeling breathless doing will pump some energy through your body!

I have signed up for the Edinburgh full Marathon in May 2012 with some friends from work.. I already feel foolish lol. I will have to put some serious training in for that.
  • falsecho
    falsecho Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I am doing my first, it's the Rock n Roll 1/2 in Nashville on April 28.
  • lorac321
    lorac321 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I signed up for one in June. Alaska is beautiful in June if you want to join me.
  • stef_3
    stef_3 Posts: 173
    Options
    My husband and I are doing the Go St. Louis half marathon on April 15th. He has done the Army 10 miler a few years ago but this will be his first half marathon and definitely my first. We've been working out more and trying to stay fit since the beginning of this year. We just printed out our 12 week training schedule so we can be prepared for the race.
  • sjtreely
    Options
    I signed up for one in June. Alaska is beautiful in June if you want to join me.

She speaks truth. I did the Mayor's HM this past June. B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L! I love Alaska! Wouldn't wanna live there, but I could visit it every summer and never tire of its awesomeness!
  • msjamartin
    Options
    Planning for my first 1/2 on June 23 in Seattle. Rock n roll half marathon! Nervous and Anxious..going to switch up from my normal cardio on the ellipticals to the treadmill beginning Jan. 2nd. I have a 5 mile in April that will be a good measuring event in my training.

Here we go!
  • jelicaa
    jelicaa Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I've never done a 5K, 10K, or any other race. Just yesterday I ran (well walk/jog...I never received my running gene) on the treadmill. Friends are trying to convince me to do a half marathon in March...crazy! I say go for it. You've done 5K's and 10K's, so why not another one under your belt!