now that I'm a calorie counter....((Funny things))

Options
2»

Replies

• EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    When someone shows me a food and asks me "Is this healthy?". I need context! Do you mean "will I get fat if I eat this?" or do you mean "Will this give me enough vitamins?" or "Will this kill me?"

I don't know how much you've eaten already nor how many calories you need to live, so no, I don't know if you'll get fat eating that. What else are you going to eat today?

The food might give you enough vitamins but is that going to be your only source of vitamins today? If you put a multivitamin pill in my face I wouldn't call it healthy (I use multis, not against them).

I can only answer in the negative. If you show me chips I will say they're not healthy but not because they're high in calories.
  • waskier
    waskier Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I've been counting calories for 4-5 years so I'm by no means new to this but...some things that have erupted from me being a calorie counter...

1. I hate sharing my "pre-counted" foods-- I will gladly pop you your own bag of popcorn but do not take mine!

I hate having to add the calories from the fingers that get removed trying to take any of my pre-measured foods.......
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    When it won't scan the bar codes! So I reposition it, still no scan, move it back...closer...back....closer...then move to where there is more light, finally it scans. Comes up as the worng item! FML.
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I'm always tossing the last bite of something to my dog, how do I account for that?
    No, I'm not going to start an MFP account for my dog. He eats the cat's food, so I'd have to track her food too....Argh!
  • kitkat9138
    Options
    When I count out 15 almonds and my husband steals a few of them and thinks its funny not to tell me exactly how many he took!
  • ckclontz
    Options
    No more spur of the moments of just going out to eat some where. I have to go eat at a place that I can look up the nutrition values before I go.

This one is me, as well! My husband has decided that I'm a "nutrition nazi," and if I can't get hold of the values, we don't go there. I am a rather, well, ummm, loudmou... that is, VOCAL woman, though, so I have no problem stopping in to see the manager and informing them that until they do have this important information readily available, not only will I not frequent their place, but my friends and coworkers will avoid it, too! There are now seven restaurants in my area that publish nutrition values who never used to.

My biggest issue: I am incredibly annoyed at the ads on this site for random places. For instance, as I type this, there is a Jimmy John's ad on my screen. I'd never even heard of this place until about 10 minutes ago (literally, I looked them up after I started typing this response). MFP, please only sell ad space to companies that have your members' best interests at heart, not fast food companies out to clog my arteries. :brokenheart:
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    When I count out 15 almonds and my husband steals a few of them and thinks its funny not to tell me exactly how many he took!

that's kinda cute in an annoying sort of way. lol. Id round up. haha. Probably would wind up eating 2-3 extra ones...no biggie! :)
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Never needing to open a menu at a restaurant (I've already been looking at their menu online all day, planning & drooling)
    Internally gasping at the number of calories I know is on hubby's plate
    Logging the two pistachios I ate and wondering if I'm just-a-little-bit-crazy
    Looking at a slice of pumpkin pie and thinking - "wow I could have 3 skinny cow ice cream bars for that amount!"
    Explaining to my giggling lunch buddies why I'm eating exactly 3/4 of a pita
    Loads of single measuring spoons ready to use in convenient locations all over my kitchen and work office ("um, why do you have a half tablespoon in your pen caddy?")
  • lizgreenhill
    Options

1. I hate sharing my "pre-counted" foods-- I will gladly pop you your own bag of popcorn but do not take mine!

My husband is guilty of this it pi$$es me right off.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    No more spur of the moments of just going out to eat some where. I have to go eat at a place that I can look up the nutrition values before I go.

This one is me, as well! My husband has decided that I'm a "nutrition nazi," and if I can't get hold of the values, we don't go there. I am a rather, well, ummm, loudmou... that is, VOCAL woman, though, so I have no problem stopping in to see the manager and informing them that until they do have this important information readily available, not only will I not frequent their place, but my friends and coworkers will avoid it, too! There are now seven restaurants in my area that publish nutrition values who never used to.

My biggest issue: I am incredibly annoyed at the ads on this site for random places. For instance, as I type this, there is a Jimmy John's ad on my screen. I'd never even heard of this place until about 10 minutes ago (literally, I looked them up after I started typing this response). MFP, please only sell ad space to companies that have your members' best interests at heart, not fast food companies out to clog my arteries. :brokenheart:

1. This is way cool

2. The ads are contextual, so they respond to "hot topics" on the forums.. maybe people were discussing sandwiches? Right now I see an alzheimer's medication ad which is kind of random...
  • VAMommyAgain
    VAMommyAgain Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    This isn't really a "thing" but a funny story. On my 21st birthday a good friend planned to take me out to my favorite mexican restaurant for dinner and margaritas so I worked out for 3 or 4 hours that day so I had a nice calorie bank and could eat/drink "whatever I wanted." I ended up getting very VERY sick at the end of the night and I remember asking my friend "How to I log this?" pointing at my pile of puke in the snowbank.:sick: ....oh my.... calorie counting. :laugh:

Bwah hahahahaha
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I drive my guy nuts when I have the single serving yogurt cup..... *scrape scrape scrape* trying to get that last little bit out of the bottom of the container.:ohwell: