apples are higher in gi than pizza ??? I may as well eat ice

Options
I thought eating an apple every night after supper was a good snack...now I see they are hi in carbs and have a gi higher than 2 slices of pizza !! Guess ice cream would be better

Replies

• carilou
    Options
    What do you mean by GI?
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I thought eating an apple every night after supper was a good snack...now I see they are hi in carbs and have a gi higher than 2 slices of pizza !! Guess ice cream would be better
    No, no, no!

Those are the carbs you want. Apples are great tasting and very healthy.
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    You are going on Glycemic index instead of glycemic load Its all about portions... new studies reveal!
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Pizza is yummy.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options

Take a look at the fat in pizza and the sugar and fat in ice cream. Better off with the apple and if calories and macros allow, add a little peanut butter or hummus. It's delicious and very satisfying.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    fat slows down the absorption of the sugar/carbs you could lower the GI of your apple with a tbsp of nut butter :wink:
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Good lord. Food is not always about the sum of a few nutrients, glycemic index or load, or number of carbs.

Eat the damn apple. They are yummy and good for you.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Replace pizza with apples a day and tell me how much weight you lose. -_-
  • formersec
    formersec Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Actually, you can eat the pizza too...in moderation. A whole extra large in one sitting is bad. One slice is good.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Good lord. Food is not always about the sum of a few nutrients, glycemic index or load, or number of carbs.

Eat the damn apple. They are yummy and good for you.

THANK YOU!
  • tcpowell25
    Options
    Replace pizza with apples a day and tell me how much weight you lose. -_-

I love it LOL!
  • cvcman
    cvcman Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Hey relax...I was just saying I didnt realize there are more carbs in an apple than a bowl of ice cream ! Dont get your panties in a bunch,,,geezzzzeee
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Hey relax...I was just saying I didnt realize there are more carbs in an apple than a bowl of ice cream ! Dont get your panties in a bunch,,,geezzzzeee
    Well no, you didn't just say that. You went on to say that ice cream would be healthier.

And who got their panties in a bunch? I don't see anyone getting upset in this thread...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    The GI of pizza would totally vary depending on the size of the slice, the toppings and what the crust is made of. But apples are healthy. Do they have a high GL (glycemic load)? That's really be better measure than GI.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Now you know why GI is mostly irrelevant to the avg person, also to determine GI, it is tested isocalorically and on fasted subjects, which few people will actually be in a fasted state and eat food items isocalorically

With all that said, i'm with you, ice cream over apples anyday
  • cvcman
    cvcman Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    read GlaDos response...apples have more carbs than ice cream too......