Runners, can you please give me advice?

Options
I am not a runner. However, I have felt a very strong urge to begin running. I don't know where it came from. I have not been working out regularly. I am not a stranger to working out though. I used to work out vigorously three to four times a week. Running was not part of my regimen. I ran 5 miles on the beach with a friend, and I absolutely loved it. How should I begin a running regimen? What are the physical benefits of becoming a runner besides the obvious? Can someone enlighten me?

Replies

• Halothane
    Halothane Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I would start out with couch 2 5K on my iPhone, iPod, android, or listen to one of the many podcasts. It takes you from no running to running 30 minutes over a 9 week period using intervals. You run 3 days a week and no more. It's a good program for folks who are wanting to get into running.

A lot of running is getting over the mental hurdles of "I can't do this" "i'm tired" "Here is the house....I'm stopping" because your mind will tell you that you can't even though your body is physically able.

Go and get fitted for proper running shoes from a store such as Fleet Feet (Don't go to Sports Authority, ****'s, Foot Locker, etc.) or another local store that specializes in running. They will analyze your gait and help get you fitted in proper shoes for your feet.

Most of all.....take your time, enjoy it, and have fun. There will be days that your runs just completely SUCK but the next time you run will be amazing!

We have a good group of runners on here.....I'm sure they will be along shortly to offer more advice.
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    great advice from halothane

I would so recommend couch to 5k, its an amazing programme which got me running. I used a podcast and ran 2-3 times a week. I started off struggling to run 3 mins back in may and now can run over 90mins! so it can do wonders.

I agree with the mental hurdles- you need to keep pushing, you can and you will do this.

I love running as it gives me much needed 'me' time which is a novelty as a mum. Plus its a great way to de-stress and lose weight! All you will need is some proper fitted shoes and great music (if u prefer it)! dont need any fancy equipment to go running or a gym membership and thats one of the reasons why i love it!

edited to add: you could also try the one hour runner programme, i just realised you can already run 5miles! ! its a great start for running 5k+
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    If you ran 5 miles on the beach and felt great, then you are already a runner.

:noway:
  • buschfan17
    Options
    Also check out www.jeffgalloway.com. You will find lots of options and programs to get started. Good luck!:smile:
  • cansmith80
    Options
    Thanks guys! I will definitely have to check that out! I ran those 5 miles about 3 months ago and could not walk for about three days after lol.
  • diagofussa
    Options
    Still a great effort! I love to run and have only really classed myself as a 'runner' in the past few months. It is. A great feel good activity as you can achieve so much by seeing how far you have come! It is a huge mental challenge but once you can get above all that, the mental benefit is incredible!

Let alone the way your body feels as it seems to work all your body parts!

Be careful- it is an addiction! Lol
  • AshleyNicole8686
    AshleyNicole8686 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    If you can run 5 miles you are good to go! Try couch to 5k but if it's to mild try running 3-4 times a week 3-5 miles each round and work up from their depending on your goals :)
  • TheAncientMariner
    TheAncientMariner Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I had to stop by to support the c25k program. I started back in July, haven't ever run outside of a brief stint in the military well over 10 years ago. I started out struggling to run 90 seconds and by the end of October I was able to run 8 miles. I'm getting up every morning at 4AM to run now and the benefits have been incredible. It increases confidence in yourself, allows you the confidence and motivation to encourage others, you look better, you feel better, and it improves your mental attitude overall. Hell, I'll even go so far as to say it makes you less prone to sickness, at least in my case. I haven't had so much as the sniffles so far this year. At 5 miles you're definitely off to a good start. Soon, you'll be wondering why in the world you had to ask such a question in the first place, lol! Good luck!
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    If you are relatively fit and have run 5 mi..despite extreme soreness....you can run...give yourself time intervals...ie...walk 5 min run 8 minutes....the C25K programs are fabulous but I think some people could start out with so much more without any negative effect...if walk 5 run 8 or walk 1 run 5 seems too much then the other programs are great...when I was getting back into running a few years ago after having kids I did a ten minute run away from the house then walked home...then I built up each week by adding a few minutes
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    If you ran 5 miles on the beach and felt great, then you are already a runner.

:noway:

Lol, I totally agree. Just run!