Clean Mac 'n' Cheese

Options
katythemommy
katythemommy Posts: 437 Member
I got this recipe from the latest issue of Clean Eating and made it for dinner tonight. It was delicious!! I had one serving but my hubby had three and is bringing the leftovers to work for lunch tomorrow! I will definitely be making this again!

Ingredients:
2 1/4 cups whole-wheat elbow macaroni
Olive Oil cooking spray
1/4 cup stone-ground whole-grain brown rice flour
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 cup skim milk
3oz light Swiss cheese, finely shredded
5oz low-fat cheddar cheese, finely shredded
1 tbsp whole-wheat panko breadcrumbs (I skipped this)
2 tbsp reduced fat Permesan cheese

One: Cook macaroni according to package directions.

Two: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly mist an 8-inch diameter (1 1/2 qt) casserole dish with cooking spray.

Three: Spoon flour and salt into medium bowl and slowly whisk in enough milk to form a paste. Then add remaining milk, whisking as you do, making sure that no lumps remain.

Four: Place a medium nonstick saucepan over medium heat and add flour-milk mixture. When milk is warm, add Swiss cheese and stir quickly and frequently with a wooden spoon until cheese is completely melted and incorporated. Add cheddar cheese and continue stirring until cheese is completely melted and mixture begins to thicken slightly. Stir in cooked macaroni, then transfer mixture to casserole dish.

Five: In small bowl, stir together breadcrumbs and Parmesan. Sprinkle crumb mixture evenly over top of macaroni. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until topping is lightly browned. Allow to stand 5 minutes. Serve.

Serves 6. Makes about 6 1/2 Cups

Calories: 250
Total Fat: 4
Sat. Fat: 2
Carbs: 38
Fiber: 4
Sugars: 3
Protein: 18
Sodium: 310
Cholesterol: 10

I added this in the food log as Clean Eating Clean Mac 'n' Cheese!

Replies

• katythemommy
    Options
    I got this recipe from the latest issue of Clean Eating and made it for dinner tonight. It was delicious!! I had one serving but my hubby had three and is bringing the leftovers to work for lunch tomorrow! I will definitely be making this again!

Ingredients:
    Olive Oil cooking spray
    1/4 tsp sea salt
    1 cup skim milk

Two: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly mist an 8-inch diameter (1 1/2 qt) casserole dish with cooking spray.

Three: Spoon flour and salt into medium bowl and slowly whisk in enough milk to form a paste. Then add remaining milk, whisking as you do, making sure that no lumps remain.

Four: Place a medium nonstick saucepan over medium heat and add flour-milk mixture. When milk is warm, add Swiss cheese and stir quickly and frequently with a wooden spoon until cheese is completely melted and incorporated. Add cheddar cheese and continue stirring until cheese is completely melted and mixture begins to thicken slightly. Stir in cooked macaroni, then transfer mixture to casserole dish.

Five: In small bowl, stir together breadcrumbs and Parmesan. Sprinkle crumb mixture evenly over top of macaroni. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until topping is lightly browned. Allow to stand 5 minutes. Serve.

• BxMom
    BxMom Posts: 363
    Options
    Thanks, now this one I will make. Sounds very tasty and I think my kids will like :flowerforyou:
  • PinkShoes
    PinkShoes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this!
    Macaroni and Cheese is my favorite! I'm definately going to try this healthy version!

133914.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • leshawnturner
    leshawnturner Posts: 382
    Options
    This sounds great!! I will try this the next time we have mac-n-cheese!!
  • mommi_of_3
    mommi_of_3 Posts: 10
    Options
    :happy: thats sound s great i will try it, do you have anymore recipes i could have...

208516.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Sounds good but 1/2 of a cup is not much of a serving, sheesh, so a whole cup (which would be a more normal serving size in my head) is still 500 cals! Oh mac n cheese, oh mac n cheese, I can never eat thee.
  • ktthegr8
    ktthegr8 Posts: 479
    Options
    Substitute half of that cheese for cottage cheese. Blend it up until it looks like sour cream and mix it in with the noodles!! SO creamy!!
  • NykkieC
    NykkieC Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    That sounds delicious! Thank you for posting!
  • katythemommy
    Options
    I'm sorry!! The serving size is a CUP!! Yes a cup of mac has 250 calories!!
    Sounds good but 1/2 of a cup is not much of a serving, sheesh, so a whole cup (which would be a more normal serving size in my head) is still 500 cals! Oh mac n cheese, oh mac n cheese, I can never eat thee.
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options

awesome! thx
  • CarmenSantiago
    CarmenSantiago Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Awesome is right. I gotta try this! Mac and Cheese is my favorite!
  • Euphonasia
    Euphonasia Posts: 136
    Options
    We're trying this tonight--I hope it's good!:flowerforyou:
  • yankeefamily05
    Options
    This dish kicked so much a**.....We loved it!!! Dear husband is taking this to work for lunch tomorrow also:drinker: :bigsmile: ......Thank you for posting this:flowerforyou:
  • skwhatley
    skwhatley Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    This sounds absolutely delicious and much healthier compared to the Velveeta, which I love. I will definitely have to try this one. Thanks

-Sarah
  • Trinhp2916
    Options
    Man, I've been looking for a healthy mac and cheese recipe. My roommate cooks mac n cheese all the time and it smells so good.
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Man this looks great! Will have to try it, thanks for posing it! :flowerforyou:
  • kdblev
    kdblev Posts: 18
    Options
    Could you use fat free cheddar to bring it down a bit more instead of the lowfat? I don't know if it would melt differently, but I know my husband won't eat any cheese that isn't fat free. That said, this will be great for church potlucks since half our church is on a diet kick! Thanks :)
  • Euphonasia
    Euphonasia Posts: 136
    Options
    Just FYI, my husband and I made this recipe and it was freaking awesome! We loved it! Try it and I guarantee you'll like it.
  • CarmenSantiago
    Options

Ingredients:
    Olive Oil cooking spray
    1/4 tsp sea salt
    1 cup skim milk

OMG this sounds delicious! But, it's 250 calories for 1/2 cup??? :sad: I can't stop at a half cup of mac & cheese. :sad:

Thanks for the recipe though I will make it for my "fanatic about mac & cheese like their mom" boys. :bigsmile:
  • CarmenSantiago
    Options

OMG I guess I should have read the other posts before having a cow. LOL

Thanks again!! I'm going to make it for dinner tomorrow night!