Things you see during your run?

Options

Replies

• KayakAngel
    KayakAngel Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    In Charlie Daniels Park here in Mt. Juliet, a very strange man - turned out to be a prison escapee from a couple of counties over. He was captured, sent back to Perry County, where he was wanted on assault charges. Too, too creepy. Back to the treadmill this week. Anybody run with mace?
  • rufflestx
    Options
    I run on a very rural farm road, I pass a single shoe lying in the same exact place nearly in the rut for over a week. You know the rut, where car tires have worn a pair of trenches in which grass never grows. Today I found on the same 1/4 mile stretch two matching socks about 10 yards apart. Some teenager needs to get a different PE school bag. Very soon, I want to bring a stick with a nail in the end of it and start picking up water bottles from the ditch on each side. It offends me that people are such slobs.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Can't get mace here, but I run with Bear Spray, which is a cayenne pepper spray. Huge canister, you can't get them in those cute little canisters like in the US. I had a guy following and harassing me, so I don't run alone without phone, personal alarm, and bear spray.
    In Charlie Daniels Park here in Mt. Juliet, a very strange man - turned out to be a prison escapee from a couple of counties over. He was captured, sent back to Perry County, where he was wanted on assault charges. Too, too creepy. Back to the treadmill this week. Anybody run with mace?
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Right now my weekday runs are all in the dark. I run in the city, but have seen a fox and a coyote, as well as the usual birds and squirrels. Menaced by an off-leash dog (huge thing - Burnese Mountain Dog) in the on-leash park.

I don't see a lot of people in the morning, mostly just people going home after night shift or heading out for early shift. Some truck drivers honk to say hello. I rarely see other runners. A few cyclists and dog walkers.

Have run in -25C, middle of a blizzard, etc. I'm sure everyone else thought I was crazy. Have run through some nice parks.

Pam
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Mostly just roadkill and cornfields.

Sounds like my long runs ;)
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I love running at night or at dusk, and when I can see in the windows around the neighborhood, get house color/design ideas. (Wait, does that sound creepy? LOL). Now that I've had to get used to a treadmill when weather doesn't permit outdoor running, I especially appreciate everything I can see when I get to run outside.
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    I run on a beach so I see sand, water, islands, lots of ships/yatchts/boats, houses/condos/apartments, the horizon, restaurants, the peers and docks... And beautiful people. Very nice scenery for me :)
  • c2sky
    c2sky Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    This is a hilarious post! I don't have anything too funny, but lots of beauty. I live far away from large cities. But I see Victoria Canada across a salt water straight, 4 bed and breakfasts on high sea cliffs, the Olympic mountain range, a lighthouse, woods, creeks, rivers, lavendar farms, dairy farms, bays, sailboats etc.
  • ESVABelle
    ESVABelle Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Anybody run with mace?

No. A knife and a bullmastiff.
  • ESVABelle
    ESVABelle Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    - Kids try to torment my dog, begin chasing after us and faceplanting off their scooters.
    - Other dogs that make my dog go all angry/protective/warp-speed
    - A woman standing on her porch wearing a pink fuzzy robe and cowboy boots while smoking a cigarette
    - A plane flying too low
    - The police...the police again...the police again...and finally I just started waving!
    - A man lurking in the shadows (bring it on, Kermit. If you're feelin' froggy...by God, come on and leap)
  • directorj
    directorj Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    - Bunch of families blocking my way
    -This "Regular" at the trails who looks like Santa Claus and owns a dog
    -2 teenagers digging in the trail (dead body?)
    -squirrel get hit by bike ( ruined my day and run)
    - tons of fisherman ( trail is along side the ocean

Well one time I saw a lady fall and I stopped and helped her up, that made my run :smile:
  • TexasNurseMom78
    TexasNurseMom78 Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I love this post topic, very interesting.

I see:

My best friends twins in the stroller in front of us, cars passing by waving, kids on the school playground, post office, EMS station, people washing their cars, antiques I window shop for, county courthouse, four churches and a funeral home.

or if I run at my house,
    18 wheelers, I try not to get run over by, cows, roadkill and hay bales
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    I do my jogging at night times when its dark soo i come across -

- traffic
    - bright street lights
    - pot holes in the road (well i dont see them, i sometimes fall in them!!)
    - people walking the streets
    - shops that are still open - chippy, kebab, spar, co-op, indian etc etc.
    - aeroplanes (yes aeroplanes fly across my area all the time at night)
  • SalishSea
    SalishSea Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I don't run but I do take power walks. I can see Orcas Island, Lopez Island and smaller islands in the San Juans on my walks. I see eagles, herons, and changing with the seasons greenery. Occasionally a seal will swim along the shore following me. I have seen orca whales. I have the whole 2mile long beach to myself. It is bliss. I sometimes imagine myself on a beach, on an island, in a state, in the US, on the earth, in the galaxy. Does that make sense?

It gets dark so early now that I am having trouble getting out while it is still daylight. Even though I have energy for a good go at prolonged sweating, it is pitch black out there.

I enjoyed this thread.
  • MrsSpinks
    MrsSpinks Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I usually see people crossing the road when they spot me... I run with two hoofing great big dogs!
  • stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    It depends where I am running, I have 2 tracks I run...

So the first one is the local Lake, so I see plenty of super hot chicks, then soo many obese people harrasing me for running, while they sit there eating a bucket of KFC chicken :noway:

Then on my other running track, I see plenty of snakes, once one of them wouldnt move off of the path, I had to jump over it and hope it didnt launch at me, as I have many poisonous snakes here
  • teeley
    teeley Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    This is a hilarious post! I don't have anything too funny, but lots of beauty. I live far away from large cities. But I see Victoria Canada across a salt water straight, 4 bed and breakfasts on high sea cliffs, the Olympic mountain range, a lighthouse, woods, creeks, rivers, lavendar farms, dairy farms, bays, sailboats etc.

I just had a rungasim,

I love the island so much, in the top 10 most beautiful places in the world. I was at Mnt Washington this summer for a wedding, went for a stellar run there!!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Tombstones. Many of my favorite routes are past or through cemeteries. Gotta make sure the zombies haven't risen.

If they do, I'm going to suddenly become a much faster runner.
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I have a regular route along the beach... Depending on the day I see - other runners/walkers/kids/dogs/parents and strollers...
    restaurants, traffic, streetlights, benches, couples, police, dog poop (um people pick this up!!! WTF - walk them on the beach blvd - clean up after them!) sunsets, ocean waves, sand, boats, city lights, birds.... oceanside homes, lighthouses.....lately Christmas lights! I'm a lucky lady. I love where I live.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I love the roadkill, being a biology type, I have to stop and identify the skulls and teeth. Turtles are particularly interesting when they've been flattened for a while. Not so great, however, when only a couple of days old. Pee-you.

I found what was obviously a butchered deer the other day, it really startled me at first because I only saw the ribcage. It has been my lifelong fear that I will find a dead body.