Hypothyroidism

Options

Replies

• amsandin
    amsandin Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism at age 10. I was always a small child, but my doctors just kept saying I was just a late bloomer. Then when we moved to a different state my new doctor called for some blood work to be done and found out my thyroid levels were way low. I was a 10 year old with the bone structure of a 6 year old the doctor said, and that's why he knew something wasn't right. The weird thing was I didn't have any of the other symptoms hypothyroid kids usually have since I was very active and did well in school. I've been taking a pill a day ever since and getting my levels checked every year, in fact I'm going in for my yearly blood drawing later today. While I was pregnant I had to get it checked every month. I think I'm currently taking 175 mcg. I didn't really start struggling with weight until my 20's, but it has definitely been a struggle ever since. Yes I will admit to blaming my weight on this condition, but now I know better. I've lost 34 lbs since last May by eating under MFP suggested limits and working out 5 times a week. I do a workout video in the mornings since it's the only way I can work out regularly enough to make a difference. It's such an incredible feeling to know that I can overcome this issue and being hypothyroid doesn't mean I have to be overweight the rest of my life!
  • ak_honda
    ak_honda Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    i myself have hypothyroidism. but i take only 25 micrograms mine apperently wasnt too severe (thankfully)

That is what I am being started on as well, and my levels aren't too outrageously high either. I still think that some of my past dietary changes might have been the culprit of this, especially as no one in my family has this...
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I found an interesting website: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hashimotos-disease/DS00567 that answers a lot of questions about Hypothyroid Disease. My question of Hashimoto's Disease vs "hypothyroid" was answered. If you were born with a functioning thyroid gland that is found to be hypoactive then it is called Hashimoto's Disease which is a type of Hypothyroid Disease (catch all name.) Other causes of hypothyroid disease are being born without a thyroid, or having a surgical removal, etc.

Anyway, we have it and it is simply treated with taking medication and following up with our doctors to make sure our doses are adequate by getting our blood tested at least annually or per doctor recommendations.

Untreated hypothyroid disease is dangerous and can even cause birth defects for pregnant women. In the long term it can be eventually fatal to anyone who stops treatment.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I was born with it (Congenital Hypothyroidism) but never had weight issues as a child and active adult.

I only started weight problems when they either lowered my dose or when I started having mobility problems and had crippling fatigue so really struggled to find the strength to push myself about. I spent most of time laid on sofa or bed... went up to 16st at one point.

I got down to 11st 7 but then put a stone (14lbs) back on, but I've managed to lose it again and a bit more and nearly lost 21lbs.. only 2 lb off.. hoping to be at least 1lb lighter for this weeks weigh-in! still got another 21lbs to go to get back to where I was originally at my most healthiest (around 9st - 9st 7).

I found I lose weight easier if I stay off processed carbs and been losing much quicker the last 6 weeks than I did in the first 4 months before I decided to go gluten free/low carb out of desperation... I've had 6 months intensive physio also so can now manage more exercise than I could in June when I started diet, so that has helped also.
  • dkbaron
    Options
    I was tested in 1988 after I went through a severe bout of depression. I had gained 40 pounds over two years and hadn't really changed much about my diet. I had always been able to lose weight easily. I was diagnosed with severe hypothyroidism and was placed on 175mg. Over the years my dr's have upped and lowered my dosage so much I don't know if I am coming or going. Today I take 50mg 5 days a week and 100 mg 2 days a week. I am always cold, my hair is falling out, my skin is so dry and I am tired most of the time. I had it checked 2 months ago and she said it was a little high but I told her to please not lower my dosage. She didn't and said we would check it in 3 months. One thing she did find in the bloodwork I had done, is my vitamin K is really low, as is my vitamin D. She said that could be part of the problem with some of my symptoms. She has me on a supplement that I take once a week for 12 weeks and then will see what the level is. I am feeling some better and have a little more energy these days.
  • ak_honda
    Options
    I found an interesting website: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hashimotos-disease/DS00567 that answers a lot of questions about Hypothyroid Disease. My question of Hashimoto's Disease vs "hypothyroid" was answered. If you were born with a functioning thyroid gland that is found to be hypoactive then it is called Hashimoto's Disease which is a type of Hypothyroid Disease (catch all name.) Other causes of hypothyroid disease are being born without a thyroid, or having a surgical removal, etc.

Anyway, we have it and it is simply treated with taking medication and following up with our doctors to make sure our doses are adequate by getting our blood tested at least annually or per doctor recommendations.

Untreated hypothyroid disease is dangerous and can even cause birth defects for pregnant women. In the long term it can be eventually fatal to anyone who stops treatment.

Hashimoto's is when your body is attacking your thyroid, but if it is just naturally slowing down but your body isn't destroying it then it is still just plain ol' hypothyroidism. Or certain medications/foods can alter how the thyroid works (I think my few years on soy might have contributed to my issue now, just speculation since i never had the problem BEFORE switching to soy.
  • Juleeroch
    Juleeroch Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I've been hypothyroid now for about 20 years. Started around age 32 ish. Tired and night sweats made me go to the docs ( I thought it was early onset of the menopause).
    Fine now. At the start my medications had to be regulated according to regular blood tests. I'm currently on 100mcg Levothyroxine. Works for me. I take it with my breakfast every day. No problems. I've always been a yo yo dieter so weight problems didnt really come into it.
    The really good thing about having hypothyroidism here in the UK is that because of it ALL my prescriptions are free - not just the Levothyroxine but everything !! A bonus.

Good luck.:smile:
  • ak_honda
    Options
    After last week being completely anxious and panic every day, I didn't take my pill on Sunday and felt great. Didn't take it this morning, called the DR office and just got a call back. She told me to stop taking the pill.

They also mailed my last test results and told me that the other two tests (to check if it's an immune issue) both came back negative! (yay!) and that my free t4 & free t3 are both well within normal range.

We discussed that stress and dietary changes could be my culprit on this one so we are stopping the thyroid med and will be looking into making appropriate dietary changes, losing weight and better managing my stress. We will recheck my TSH and other levels again in about 6mos.

I am SO thankful for my doctor and how understanding and that she actual listens and knows what she is doing.

The only good thing that came from the week of crap was not eating much and dropped about 2 lbs!! (I'll probably gain it back though)
  • ksmekate41
    ksmekate41 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info No where 1976! I'll look into it! :)
  • Germerican_Ang
    Options
    I too am hypo, was diagnosed early 2005 after I gave birth to my first
    Son... I have a family history, mom grandma and aunt all have had it too!
    I read to not eat raw peanuts but pb is OK cos its been heated...
    same w broccoli I just found out to only eat cooked or steamed... kind of a
    bummer... I have taken Levo and Synt both and also Raw Thyroid when I lost
    Insurance and I'd rather not get back on either I felt fine it's been nearly a year
    I wanted to clean my system of all things hormone replacement to then seek a new Dr
    And have a test ran to see where im at cos I feel like I have no symptoms...
    My highest dose ever was .75mcg and lowest. 25mcg while I was pregs in 2008 w my 2nd child
    I think I was on .50mcg

I have not been experiencing any symptoms of hypo in a long time now
    However I hear once you have it you always have it.... so odd!
    anyone else like me?!
  • diloed
    diloed Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Diagnosed hypothyroid about 10 years ago. Had good levels on 50 mcg until recently, just upped it to 75 mcg and will do blood work again in 6 weeks. I find that even when my levels are "normal", I still have never gotten rid of certain symptoms. I'm still always freezing, have pale, dry itchy skin, and I shed more than my cat.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I've been hypothyroid now for about 20 years. Started around age 32 ish. Tired and night sweats made me go to the docs ( I thought it was early onset of the menopause).
    Fine now. At the start my medications had to be regulated according to regular blood tests. I'm currently on 100mcg Levothyroxine. Works for me. I take it with my breakfast every day. No problems. I've always been a yo yo dieter so weight problems didnt really come into it.
    The really good thing about having hypothyroidism here in the UK is that because of it ALL my prescriptions are free - not just the Levothyroxine but everything !! A bonus.

Good luck.:smile:

You take it with your breakfast? My doctor told me to take it on an empty stomach and not eat for 4 hours afterwards.
  • Queenbee412
    Options
    I was diagnosed about 8 -9 years ago. Taking 115 mcg of Levothyroxine :)
  • missy_1975
    missy_1975 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Hi, I quit smoking nearly nine years ago (yay the ex-smokers lol! :laugh: ), that's where I gained my weight. Around 3-4 years ago I was overweight from quitting smoking and eating loads, but was also super fit, running half marathons etc but putting ON weight instead of loosing. All of a sudden I couldn't climb the stairs without being breathless, was sleeping during my lunch break, my hair was thinning, my skin was scaley and dry, I was depressed, I had no sex drive whatsoever and was having some awful "women's problems" at my time of the month.

My doctor suspected hypothyroidism, she was right, I was very suprised (I work in the health care sector and rarely get sick). The medication certainly didn't help at all in loosing weight, but now my energy is back to normal (it took a long time to get the dose of meds right though).

Following Low GI (Glycemic Index) principals and continuing to exercise has really helped the condition. The irony is that it makes it harder for us (and other people with metabolic syndromes such as PCOS etc) to loose weight, but whn we do loose weight it improves our condition. Keep sticking at it, nourish your body with the best foods you can afford and you will be great. Feel free to add me as a friend :smile:
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Diagnosed in 2009 I am on 25mcg of levothyroxene
  • cherokeetracey
    Options
    i was diagnosed with hypothyroidism when i was 16, (21 years ago). I am now on 200mg of thyroxine, and yes i do find it a struggle to loose weight. I have even tried the low GI diet, slimming world and am trying weight watchers from next tuesday.
    Feeling tired all the time, cold etc, fed up with all this, but at moment i am going through the change and am having hot flushes which i feel are just as bad.
    I didnt know though til a few years ago that having this for years can actually cause diabetes. i was diagnosed with type 2 in 2006, and my gp said it could have been caused by my thyroid gland.
  • panda0920
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism at age 7 and it's been 11 years full of testing and maintenance. Some symptoms the medication will never remove, such as the older I get, the more intolerant to the cold I am. Moods can still change with it, but it's possible to lose weight. My cousin his at as well as her two other brothers who have hyperthyroidism because my aunt was born without a thyroid, and my cousin has lost weight and balanced it well. I've lost weight and toned before and I've been on Synthroid for years, so it can be done.

But then again, my health is exceptional even with extra weight, I learned a long time ago, the way to control the thyroid while it's being medicated is to work out and try to eat better. I also don't necessarily think people lose weight slower with thyroid, because it's medicated to the TSH, T3, and T4 levels correctly (which blood testing doesn't always 100% catch every detail correctly) you should be able to lose weight like anyone else. I mean, I lose weight fairly fast if I stick to a plan. But good luck!
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I had half my thyroid and a golf ball sized tumor removed in April 2011. I had lost 25 pound in 90 days prior to the surgery and have gained back 12 of those pounds while trying to get my meds regulated. I am currently on Synthroid 75 mcg a day, taken in the morning, one hour before eating. I am much better but still having some symptoms -- was supposed to see the doctor today and the office was closed (slightly irritated they didn't call me about that) but I have some additional information for the doctor I want to discuss about where my TSH level should be .. I think he is going for between 4 and 5 but my research shows it should be below 3. I am finally starting to lose weight again but it has been slow. I still struggle with the mood swings and irritability as well as dry skin but the hair loss is much better and my energy level is back to where it was a year ago. I think you have to be proactive with your treatment.
  • jaxdiablo
    Options
    I'm not currently diagnosed with it, but I have a lot of the symptoms that fit into it. I'm planning on getting my blood checked in January to see if I do have it. I'm glad this was brought up, it gives me an idea of what to look forward to if I do have it.
  • SunLovin1
    SunLovin1 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Diagnosed hypothyroid about 10 years ago. Had good levels on 50 mcg until recently, just upped it to 75 mcg and will do blood work again in 6 weeks. I find that even when my levels are "normal", I still have never gotten rid of certain symptoms. I'm still always freezing, have pale, dry itchy skin, and I shed more than my cat.

Always cold, shedding like crazy, gaining weight on a 1200/day diet...I knew something was wrong and that my dose needed to be changed. I always fall victim to the "you're just not active enough/eating properly" mentality where I beat myself up for not trying hard enough to lose weight. But you can't succeed at it when your body is fighting you all the way. My doc is changing my dose to reflect my new levels and we'll see if that helps. I'm optimistic.