Confused About Conflicting Information

Options

Replies

• gigiangelique
    gigiangelique Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    What I always have to remind myself is that everything just goes back to calories in-calories out. I think it's really easy to make it a lot more difficult. Exercise of any kind is good, protein feeds your muscles, and you need fat to survive

yup! I just try to keep my food as clean as I can and workout as much as i can
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Read everything you can and then choose the information that resonates the most with you.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Exercise is good.

Nut butter is a high-calorie, healthy fat. If you like it, it is good to incorporate. If you don't, eat avocados and oils instead.

Eat fish if you like it. Don't eat fish if you don't like it.

Lift a challenging amount of weight for as many reps as you can handle - don't lift too heavy without working up to it, you will hurt your joints.

Do sit ups if you like them. Don't do sit ups if you don't. Find a type of exercise you like.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I like Brad Pilon advise (eat stop eat)
    to lose weight just eat less.
  • daisylovespink
    daisylovespink Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    As for something like running sprints or long distance, they both burn more calories than sitting on the couch, so they both will help. The question is which one you want to do.

LOVE IT!!! :tongue:
  • Wafflecatcassie
    Options
    Thanks again for the replies. I would like to know where everyone is getting there information though...personal experience? certain sites? books? If it's anything like the last two...could you give me specifics?

Also...I'm still not sure my question was answered @_@

So I'll try asking it another way.

How do I burn more calories than I eat each day? I know...exercise and all that...but 1780 + calories is a lot to burn. That's what it's sounding like to me...like I have to burn every calorie I consume every day + some extra for good measure. If this is wrong, tell me what's right.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Thanks again for the replies. I would like to know where everyone is getting there information though...personal experience? certain sites? books? If it's anything like the last two...could you give me specifics?

Also...I'm still not sure my question was answered @_@

So I'll try asking it another way.

How do I burn more calories than I eat each day? I know...exercise and all that...but 1780 + calories is a lot to burn. That's what it's sounding like to me...like I have to burn every calorie I consume every day + some extra for good measure. If this is wrong, tell me what's right.

You are burning calories all the time, sitting/standing/sleeping/breathing - as long as your body is functioning you are burning calories all day long. If your BMR (basal metabolic rate) is 1600 calories you will burn 1600 calories just by existing. If you are sedentary (desk job, not much moving around), you will burn your BMR x 1.2 just by going to work, sitting at your desk, going home, cooking dinner and so on. You do not have to go out of your way to burn all those calories, your body does it for you. If you add exercise into the equation, you are just giving yourself more calories to eat basically. You don't need to exercise to lose weight, you can eat at 500 calories less than your TDEE (your BMR x activity level) and lose a lb a week.

Hope this makes sense and helps

*edit: Exercising is good and recommended :)
  • Wafflecatcassie
    Options
    Ahh. That makes sense. I didn't think about stuff I do normally burning calories XD;

Is it necessary to factor in everyday activity into the exercise log? It seems like it would be tedious...some stuff I do... like playing with the cat for 2 minutes or getting the random urge to jump up and down while going "la la la la la la la" for 20 seconds (I actually did do this recently. NOOOOOOOO idea what possessed me too. lol XD; Silly mood, I guess)...how do you figure out how many calories little things like that burn?
  • rico1923
    Options

The reason why this site recommends trying to lose 1 lb. a week is because losing weight permanently is a lifestyle change- whatever your calorie intake is to keep your weight the same without exercise is estimated by MFP(combined with your level of activity), then about 500 calories are taken away. The 500 calories less per day leads to your goal because if you consume 500 less calories 7 days a week then you will lose just under a pound for that week. They keep track of your exercise, then add the estimated calories burned by exercise to your daily calorie goal- but the new total is still about 500 calories less than their estimate of what you need for no weight gain. It isn't a bad thing to consider that you are burning all the calories you are eating if you stick to the plan and see some results...
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Waffle - don't worry about the little things, typically unless you are in an active job you should set your level to sedentary and only factor in exercises which get your heart rate up/get you sweaty etc. For example, going for a jog or doing aerobics. Anything which is outside your typical routine (if you are highly sedentary/obese then log slow walking, but if you are not obese and active then don't log walking for example)

MFP already factors in the sedentary stuff - and think of the extra jumping and silly dancing around as a bonus (but don't log it)

I guess it's about fiddling around and figuring out what works for you. I have just learnt my BMR is lower than what I thought it was, so I am adjusting my calories in to be my BMR.
  • sweetoblivion314
    Options
    Nut butter is good - eat as much as you like. Nut butter is OK in moderation. NUT BUTTER IS THE DEVIL! AVOID IT AT ALL COSTS!
    nuts have a lot of calories, and aren't good for weight loss.

There have been studies done that show that nut's in moderation contribute to accelerated weight loss. In one study a group was given 2oz of nuts to eat each day and lost more weight then the control group with no other variance in diet or exercise habits.
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Love the pic man!
    Also love studies, did the researchers come to conclusion why they lost more?

Nut butter is good - eat as much as you like. Nut butter is OK in moderation. NUT BUTTER IS THE DEVIL! AVOID IT AT ALL COSTS!
    nuts have a lot of calories, and aren't good for weight loss.

There have been studies done that show that nut's in moderation contribute to accelerated weight loss. In one study a group was given 2oz of nuts to eat each day and lost more weight then the control group with no other variance in diet or exercise habits.
  • rico1923
    Options

There have been studies done that show that nut's in moderation contribute to accelerated weight loss. In one study aa group was given 2oz of nuts to eat each day and lost more weight then the control group with no other variance in diet or exercise habits.

That's interesting. I am here thinking why it could be, it makes no sense from a caloric perspective. It must be a hormonal perspective. If you go on a low calorie diet you start to get impaired hormones that limit weight loss, this happens when you go to long with out over eating for one day, and things of that sort, i.e. a high calorie day. Maybe home how the nuts prevented that

Nuts in limited amounts are good for weight loss just as wine in limited amounts is rumored to help heart problems. Trouble with nuts/nut butters is the serving size is so small that people often eat much more than what they think is a serving. A one oz. serving of peanuts has 14g of fat and 160 calories; one serving of peanut butter is 2 tbl. with 16g of fat and 200 calories. That comes out to about one small handful of peanuts or 1/2 of a PBJ sandwich per serving.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I've been doing some research to help me with my weight loss (I'm trying to lose 20 lbs, but I'd be happy with 10). I've read books and gone to sights and asked for advice and I never seen to get the same answer on anything.

Some examples:

Sprinting is better than distance running for losing weight. Distance running is better than sprinting for losing weight

Eat fish. Don't eat fish.

Whey Protein won't help you lose weight. Whey Protein will help you lose weight.

Eat this many calories. Eat that many calories.

Lift heavy with a low number of reps. Lift light with a lot of reps.

Do sit ups. Don't do sit ups.

Etc...etc...etc...

I'm sure you all get the point. I'm so confused by all this conflicting information. This is just a handful of the information I looked up and the actual answers I got. Some were even from the same website @_@; Why can't there just be one answer for a question? Or how to do I know where to find the right answers? I really don't have the time or means to just be experimenting.
    Throw out all of that confusion you are filling your mind with and just do this:

MFP 1 lb weight loss per week
    eat lean meats, fresh fruits and veggies, whole grains, nuts and low fat dairy.
    do resistance and cardio exercise.

It's real simple.
    Do that and you'll reach your goals.
  • mrzpeep1
    mrzpeep1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    What I always have to remind myself is that everything just goes back to calories in-calories out. I think it's really easy to make it a lot more difficult. Exercise of any kind is good, protein feeds your muscles, and you need fat to survive

I agree! Keep it simple.
  • Fatbuster205
    Fatbuster205 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Calories in Calories out! You just need to find out how many! Eat healthily - meat, fish etc all good in moderation! Veg - unlimited! Fruit nearly unlimited! Your body will tell you if you stick to a routine for a couple of weeks or so!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    And the thing is, most of that is true to some extent. ANY movement aids in weght loss because moving burns calories. The more you burn the more you lose.

Nut butters are not the devil, obviously, but they can be detrimental to weight loss if you eat so much that go over your calories goals. But nuts are one of the healthiest foods you can eat, as long as you keep within your calories. I suspect those that say it's the devil have a problem putting the spoon down once they start.

But when in doubt, I say ask the experts.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/healthy-weight/
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    One of the best things I have read is "In Defense of Food" by Michael Pollan. It addresses this conflicting madness and fad dieting and the principles behind them. He is very common sense about food and nutrition and I happen to believe he is absolutely right. It's like eating instructions for cooler heads. I highly recommend this book.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Just log everything you eat. You'll quickly find that some things aren't worth the momentary pleasure of consuming them (cuz that's all you'll get, lol). As you experiment and learn how many calories are in things, you'll find what works to fit your calorie needs.

/peanut

Probably nuts help one feel satisfied and less likely to binge, helping keep to their overall goals. If you can just eat an oz and make sure you log it, why not go for it?

/butter

My best advice is to log everything and get active.Do that and eat at a deficit and you'll lose weight. Be honest about your intake and exercise.
  • Wafflecatcassie
    Options
    Another thing I'm confused about -

Should I be eating 500 calories less than I'm SUPPOSED to be eating, or 500 less than I NORMALLY eat? I've been trying to eat more because other people have told me I need to up my calorie intake (especially when I'm exercising)...so yeah..confused.