Water Intake Help Please

Options
So here's the deal, I really need help with my water intake, I simply don't drink enough water at all. Its not that I don't like water I just don't seem to remember to keep drinking it throughout the day no matter how hard I try.

So what do you all do to make sure your getting enough water through the day? If any of you have any tips for me to consistently drink water and not just during workouts that would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• elcieloesazul
    elcieloesazul Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Straws. I know that sounds weird, but if I'm drinking water with a straw, I drink on average more! Also, I recycle water bottles for cash, so the more of those I drink, the more money I get when I cash them in. (But that's just me). Bringing a reusable water bottle around with you at work/in the car, will also help.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    So here's the deal, I really need help with my water intake, I simply don't drink enough water at all. Its not that I don't like water I just don't seem to remember to keep drinking it throughout the day no matter how hard I try.

So what do you all do to make sure your getting enough water through the day? If any of you have any tips for me to consistently drink water and not just during workouts that would be greatly appreciated!
    Put a glass on the counter designated for you. Every time you go in the kitchen, drink a glass. You'd be shocked at how many times you go into the kitchen.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • yunakins
    Options
    I have the same problem, so I started filling a jug of water/juice/flavoured water twice a day and leaving it in the fridge/on the counter or by my computer.
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I keep water bottles everywhere! In the trunk of my car, in the cup holder, in my office at work, and at home I keep a water filter in the fridge try to keep it full. And I have one reusable bottle (Camelbac that I love!) that I carry around sometimes too.

Also this is more random, but I love sparkling water and will buy cans of selzer water, or club soda. I find it really refreshing and I will drink more of it sometimes than regular water (I know some people hate it though).

I like the idea of always drinking a cup whenever you go into the kitchen, good idea, may try that!
  • Kathi_S
    Kathi_S Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I drink at least two 8 oz glasses of water before breakfast. I don't just sip water occasionally, I gulp as much as I can, as often as I can. It not only helps me surpass water intake goals, but it keeps me feeling full. I have water with me all day long. I also know where the bathroom is, everywhere I go, because believe me, I need to use them a lot!

Soda water helps a lot too. I bought one of those Soda Stream things, so I can carbonate my own water whenever I want. That way there is no added sodium.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    allow the overall reason you are doing it become a priority. To cleanse, purify and enrich the temple that is you.

or, just count backwards dude. like 6,,then 7.....
  • vsmurrow
    vsmurrow Posts: 145
    Options
    Straws. I know that sounds weird, but if I'm drinking water with a straw, I drink on average more!

Along the same lines, I invested in a Camelback. Why? Because it's SUPER FUN TO DRINK OUT OF. I carry it with me everywhere and chew on the straw. A bit of an oral fixation... I feel like I'm always filling that thing up, because I inevitably drink when it's near my mouth.

Spend the money. Get a kick *kitten* bottle. It makes a difference.
  • BodyUnderConstruction
    Options
    Straws. I know that sounds weird, but if I'm drinking water with a straw, I drink on average more! Also, I recycle water bottles for cash, so the more of those I drink, the more money I get when I cash them in. (But that's just me). Bringing a reusable water bottle around with you at work/in the car, will also help.

Straws!!! It's so true!
  • BodyUnderConstruction
    Options
    Crystal light packets help!!
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    always keep a bottle in your hand! lol no really i make sure that i dont leave the house without a bottle or sometimes two in my purse. i fill from agallon in the pantry fridge that is only for me so i know how much a drink in a day just by looking at it. straws are awesome also, i quit drinking my 6-12 coke zeros last wk and replaced it with water, i dont drink really anything else no coffee but maybe some crystal light in it once in a while and i have lost more weight this wk from that and stress than i did in the first 6 wks i was on here. go figure
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    always keep a bottle in your hand! lol no really i make sure that i dont leave the house without a bottle or sometimes two in my purse. i fill from agallon in the pantry fridge that is only for me so i know how much a drink in a day just by looking at it. straws are awesome also, i quit drinking my 6-12 coke zeros last wk and replaced it with water, i dont drink really anything else no coffee but maybe some crystal light in it once in a while and i have lost more weight this wk from that and stress than i did in the first 6 wks i was on here. go figure
    that was almost 12 pack of soda a day on average or 3 44 oz qt cups. i fill a qt cup with water now and fill that almost 5x a day. i usually drink 2 of those while at the gym, i dont bring the gal with me to the gym as the qt cup fits in the cup holder nicely
  • kutnEdge
    Options
    I drink half my body weight in water daily and trust me I understand your challenge. I have a reusable water bottle that I take with me EVERYWHERE.... hair/doctor appt., car, work, even by the bed. Every chance I get I take a sip/ gulp; and, of course that keeps me in the bathroom. Also, keep other reusable water containers filled in the frig. ready to go, so I have no excuse. I feel naked if I leave the house without my water bottle, lol.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Straws. I know that sounds weird, but if I'm drinking water with a straw, I drink on average more!

Along the same lines, I invested in a Camelback. Why? Because it's SUPER FUN TO DRINK OUT OF. I carry it with me everywhere and chew on the straw. A bit of an oral fixation... I feel like I'm always filling that thing up, because I inevitably drink when it's near my mouth.

Spend the money. Get a kick *kitten* bottle. It makes a difference.

despite my minimalism, I own two camelbacks.
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    -Keep a bottle near you at all times (keep one sitting on the kitchen counter, by your desk, in your car, etc). Every time you see the water bottle, take a couple big drinks. Every time you think about food, take a couple big gulps.

-Or do a chug-a-lug. One before breakfast, one after breakfast. One before lunch, one after lunch. One before dinner, one after dinner. One with each snack. If you average 3 meals and 2 snacks a day, then you've got your 8 cups.

-Drink from straws, or get a cool water bottle. I used to be really bad about drinking water, until I got my own resuable water bottle. I don't know why, but I feel like a badass drinking from my Nalgene water bottle. :D

-Do a rewards system (seems childish, but it works for my cousin). Every day you reach your 8 cups, give yourself a star sticker or something. After you reach 15 stars, buy yourself a new book, or a new water bottle, or something cool that you really want!
  • calamitydown
    Options
    I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM! :P

for a while i put at least 6 rubber bands around my wrist, each of them representing a small/medium glass of water. every time i looked down at my hands, i was reminded "oh crap, i have four bands left and it's already 5 PM, I should go drink a glass now!" and voila!

it might only work for those who can fit rubber bands on their wrist comfortably though...don't want anyone cutting off circulation!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I bought 3 of the Poweraide sports drinks in the 32 oz. bottle and marked the tops 1, 2, and 3.... then each day I fill them up and add a packet of Crystal Light Pure Fitness single packets and put them in the fridge. (comes in a bunch of flavors) and I make sure to drink them all before 6 in the evening. 8oz. water X 8cups a day is the recommended amount, well the 3 bottles gives me 96oz which a whole 32oz. over what is recommended. Works for me....
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I have a schedule. I know it sounds dumb but it works.

I drink 1 glass before each meal (I won't eat until I've had the water)

1 24 oz bottle between breakfast and lunch

1 24oz bottle when I work out

1 24 oz bottle between lunch and dinner

and it goes on like that. I can usually get in 16-20 glasses each day this way.
  • samichip
    samichip Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I definitely don't drink enough water either. Thanks for all the tips!
    2 questions:
    1) I know water is essential to health and wellbeing but how much does it affect weight loss? If anyone has any statistics or anything that might spur me on psychologically to drink more i'd really appreciate it.
    2) can I make up my water allowance by drinking squash? Our tap water doesn't taste very nice (nothing wrong with it, it's just the area) so I find I only end up drinking it when I'm really thirsty (I fill up a bottle and take it to the gym with me). I know squash contains calories, but not many, so if I found room for these calories in my diary could I just drink heavily diluted squash all day? Or does that not work as well as regular water? I can't afford to drink bottled water every day.

Thanks for your help.
  • zalla
    zalla Posts: 6
    Options
    use a soft drinks bottle so you can keep it with you all the time,its also easier to monitor how much you have drank as most branded soft drinks come in 500ml bottles
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Herbal decaf teas from Trader Joe's or your favorite store. 1. Brew 12 cups. 2. Refridgerate. 3. Drink. This helps me on days when water isn't going down as fast as I'd like.