stupid plateau

Options
At a loss of 53.2 lbs since July...and the last 7 days the scale has been at .2 up and then down...161.8..161.4..161.8...161.2....HELP! Ill open the diary to everyone...

Ive been told do cardio intervals...do strength training...up the cals by 100 for a few days. Other thoughts?
Thinking of taking the weekend (next 2 days) and sticking to veggies, fruits, lean meats, eggs and cheese...and seeing if it breaks me thru. Any other thoughts? Thanks!

Replies

• melissammundy
    Options
    I followed Jillian Michaels way.... I upped my calorie intake 10%, took 3 days off from training & had 1 high calorie day. The 4th day I woke up 2 lbs less! The scale hadn't moved for me in over a month before that.
  • katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Im ok with upping my cals 10%....just need to find the RIGHT BEST foods to do it with! Not just empty cals..ya know? sigh....
  • melissammundy
    Options
    Im ok with upping my cals 10%....just need to find the RIGHT BEST foods to do it with! Not just empty cals..ya know? sigh....

Yeah, I was really hesitant about not working out for 3 days & eating more but it worked.
  • BrandyontheRun
    BrandyontheRun Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Plateau here too... lol, 3 weeks now. But I'm trying to change my workout so that I'm building muscle rather than just doing cardio... Will see if it helps and will be back to this post to see what others have to say!
  • katcod1522
    Options
    I run 2 or 3 days a week...one or 2 days strength training..but I never push myself hard on strength. Im also doing intervals when running. Theres got to be a break soon!
  • zendarah
    zendarah Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I was in plateau for about a week and a half when my mum suggested eating a huge i-ate-so-much-i-could-vomit breakfast and then eating minimally for the rest of the day. I'm on 1200 calories a day so i ate 600-400-200 and it produced results for me :) Once scales started moving again, i went back to eating sensibly. :)
  • melissammundy
    Options
    I run 2 or 3 days a week...one or 2 days strength training..but I never push myself hard on strength. Im also doing intervals when running. Theres got to be a break soon!

I do the same run 3x a week & maybe some strength training. This week i tried walking half a mile for a warm up, run a mile, strength training, run for 20 to 30 mins after then cool down & stretch. Lost 2 lbs this week but my official weigh in isn't till tomorrow :)
  • uboom
    uboom Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I ride my bike for years and never could lose weight. A few years ago I started doing research on the food I ate. I realized how bad grains are for your body. Here is a website that talks about that and links it to all the modern day issues. Once I dropped grains from my diet, my body fat dropped off regardless of the calories I ate.

Oh don't confuse no grain with low carb. I eat lots of carbs, just not from grains. Give this site a read and all the research to back it up. Then make your own decision on it.

http://chriskresser.com/
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Since I've seen a couple people posting in here, a plateau is defined as at least 6 weeks with no change. You can't have a plateau for a week.

As for getting out of a plateau, it's simple. Figure out what you're doing wrong. Take a real, objective look at everything. You're either not exercising as intensely, not tracking food as accurately, or some combination of both. Also, have you adjusted for the weight you've lost? Metabolism is a constantly changing thing, you need to make sure you're constantly adjusting in order to make sure you are keeping a caloric deficit.

Finally, how long have you been in deficit for? An extended time in caloric deficit (several months in a row) causes your hormones to respond by adjusting your metabolism to match your net caloric intake, remember the body is always fighting for homeostasis, it's designed to store fat, not lose fat, so you have to remember to increase your food intake and eat at maintenance for a few weeks or a month every couple months or so, in order to reset your hormonal responses and your metabolism.
    I ride my bike for years and never could lose weight. A few years ago I started doing research on the food I ate. I realized how bad grains are for your body. Here is a website that talks about that and links it to all the modern day issues. Once I dropped grains from my diet, my body fat dropped off regardless of the calories I ate.

Oh don't confuse no grain with low carb. I eat lots of carbs, just not from grains. Give this site a read and all the research to back it up. Then make your own decision on it.

http://chriskresser.com/

People have been eating grains for over 12,000 years, if they were really that bad for us, we wouldn't still be here. Plus how would it explain the millions of people around the world who rely on grains for 90% of their diet, that are healthier than the average person? There's no one magic bullet for health. Just like peanuts won't work for someone with a peanut allergy/sensitivity, grains won't work for someone with a grain allergy/sensitivity.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Since I've seen a couple people posting in here, a plateau is defined as at least 6 weeks with no change. You can't have a plateau for a week.

As for getting out of a plateau, it's simple. Figure out what you're doing wrong. Take a real, objective look at everything. You're either not exercising as intensely, not tracking food as accurately, or some combination of both. Also, have you adjusted for the weight you've lost? Metabolism is a constantly changing thing, you need to make sure you're constantly adjusting in order to make sure you are keeping a caloric deficit.

Finally, how long have you been in deficit for? An extended time in caloric deficit (several months in a row) causes your hormones to respond by adjusting your metabolism to match your net caloric intake, remember the body is always fighting for homeostasis, it's designed to store fat, not lose fat, so you have to remember to increase your food intake and eat at maintenance for a few weeks or a month every couple months or so, in order to reset your hormonal responses and your metabolism.

^ Seriously this needs to be stickied. Great reply. Read this and let it sink in y'all.
  • katcod1522
    Options
    no..I havent given my body a break in a few months. So..right now..according to mfp BMR..I am at 1392. I have been at 1200 cals..and usually get to about 1160 for the day. So...I should up it a 100cals for a week? What GOOD foods can give me the extra 100??
  • katcod1522
    Options
    Obviously..I know the nut butters..but I eat that everyday anyhow.
  • healthorhighwater
    healthorhighwater Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    no..I havent given my body a break in a few months. So..right now..according to mfp BMR..I am at 1392. I have been at 1200 cals..and usually get to about 1160 for the day. So...I should up it a 100cals for a week? What GOOD foods can give me the extra 100??

I'd say up to about 1400
  • MichelleLRM
    Options
    Sometimes if you just change the times you do your workout or a new recipe your mood changes and you can have fun with it and then change what you need to appropriately. If you change everything just because you are at a plateau you might miss something that is actually working for you. Change things when and because you are happy not because you are tense, angry or upset. I hope this helps and good luck with your goals.
  • Kelico528
    Options

I would increase by a little more, like a previous poster said 1400. Try eating some high fiber foods too. I would suggest trying some oatmeal in the a.m. if you don't already, apples (or more apples) for snacks, and leanleanlean protein (chicken breast FTW)!
  • korygilliam
    korygilliam Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Thanks for pointing out that it isn't a plateau...Also, are you about to start your period? A lot of us gain around 3 pounds a few days before TOM arrives.

I have been at a plateau for almost 3 months now. In that time, I did a variety of exercises that burned about 4000-5000 calories a week for working out 5-6 hours a week...and keeping my net around 1300 (yes, eating back calories, because I think the fact that I didn't eat back my calories in the beginning has caused my current issue).

I recognized that I had almost the same caloric intake for the last 6 months, so I started zigzagging. It made me feel like I was getting to eat more and I feel better, but still no results after 6 weeks (tried it for a while, because it takes so long for your body to say 'okay, food'. Thru a challenge group, I got started last week on drinking ANY water (doing 10 cups a day, wasn't drinking any) and eating at least 2 fruits or veggies a day (wasn't ever eating any, will slowly increase).

Like the previous person said...take a real look at what you are doing (and don't freak out over 1 week of no loss...that isn't a plateau...)

Good Luck!
    Kory
  • katcod1522
    Options
    I drink 8 to 10 glasses of water a day. No...period isnt due until the 17th. I think its the START to the actual plateau..and Im not willing to let it get to THAT point :)
  • TurboFireMama
    TurboFireMama Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Was recently having the same issue. I upped my calories and stopped exercising for about 2 weeks. I am going to resume after the new year. I was getting overly obsessed with it and it was making me stressed which I know can have effects. So I decided to try and not obsess for now. I am still eating clean and healthy and at an increased rate and am moderately active during the day so I am burning some.
  • katcod1522
    Options
    So....going to change up some foods this weekend. We shall see.
  • lilsassymom
    lilsassymom Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I joined the Monday BEFORE Thanksgiving and I lost 8 lbs in those 2 weeks that month (probably just water weight). However, the LAST 2-3 weeks I keep seeing 130.8, 130.4, 130.2 130.8, 130.0, 130.8....So frustrating to be THIS close out of the 130's. I get my hopes up when I am at 130.0 thinking I will be soon out of the 130's then the next morning I am back at 130.8.

ETA: I am aiming to be more toned and fit and healthy than aiming for the "perfect" number. However, I was 128 before I got pregnant last year and now that my baby is 4 months old I really want to get to pre-prego weight at least. With that said I would rather be 130 lbs and toned and more muscular than to be 128 lbs and more flabby.