Best shoes for running?

Options
2»

Replies

• danascot
    danascot Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I agree with a lot of the posters about going to get fitted by a professional. They give great advise, for free! And they will help you if you are new to running. Blisters can be the result of a variety of things - even the type of socks/material you wear - not just the shoe itself. Also, I notice my feet tend to swell more in the summer months so I even have to go up another half size in the summer vs. winter.

I used to like Nike but recently started wearing Asics and like them a lot. Best of luck on finding the right fit!
  • istalkzombies
    istalkzombies Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    K-Swiss Tubes, Reebok Realflex, Reebok Zigdynamic, Reebok Zigfly are my personal favorites, I rolled my ankle about 2 months ago and needed extra ankle support and got some Reebok Zigslash basketball shoes for playin bball in and started to use them for running as well and they've been awesome for running as well.
  • LeslieMartina
    LeslieMartina Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    The people who mentioned going to a specialty running store that can fit you are right. Even if you don't decide to buy your shoes there, you'll know what type of shoe to get for your foot.

Right now, I love my new Brooks Pureflow. These are the best running shoes I've had so far. I tried New Balance and Saucony before. Brooks specializes in only making running gear. Try some on.
  • lesle1
    lesle1 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    ... They are Asics Gel Nimbus 13 and well worth the money. I can tell the difference already.
    The best advice is GO GET FITTED. It's worth the time and money.

Yeah, most comfortable shoes I've ever owned. Asics Gel Nimbus 13. I love them.
  • kardowling
    kardowling Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    No one can answer this for you. Feet and gaits are different. You need to go to a reputable running store where experienced runners and salespeople can help you find the shoe that's right for your feet.

They will measure you and have you run (either outside or on a treadmill) to analyze your gait. I can't stress how important this is. Usually these stores are independently owned and not in the mall. You may pay a little more for their expertise, but it's worth it. Also, it's these types of stores that do quite a bit in support of local runs in your community.

For me, Asics Nimbus Gels are the right shoe. My son wears Mizuno's. For you??? Go get fitted. And, while you're there, pick up some good running socks that wick away moisture. They're worth their weight in gold, too.

I totally agree! I overpronate and need motion control sneakers. Was fitted for Saucony -My only sneaker. Ran three marathons in them. But, I buy them online not in the expensive store...went back for a re evaluation, but saved lots of money online. Be sure to buy running sneakers 1/2 t0 1 size larger to allow room for your toes to slide up as you run. That was the best advice I ever got
  • jsuaccounting
    jsuaccounting Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    We have a shoe store here called Big Peach Running. They do a really good job of fitting shoes and helped me select mine.
    I am on my second pair of Brooks Ravenna 2(?)s. They work well for me.
    Asics are also good for me.
  • LowCarbsHighHopes
    LowCarbsHighHopes Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions, as well as advice.

I found a store about 3 hours away (the closest) to be evaluated, and when I can make a trip up there I will.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    1- go to a running store to have the gait analysis and run on a treadmill while there. Alot of people complain about the price at these stores. I love running so I didnt see a problem paying for shoes for their service. I used to be against buying shoes from them until I had to go through the hell of 4 pairs of shoe in a months time.

2- everyone is different

3- Price does not determine if it is a good shoe!

It took me 4 pairs of shoes before I found the perfect match. You should have no knee pain if they are the right shoe. I have brooks Adrenaline, but returned Brooks Ghost 4 and 2 new balance shoes. They just didnt work for my foot. The one that did work was the cheapest. The highest I had purchased and returned was 140!! Price doesnt determine if its a good shoe for you!
  • linnea213
    linnea213 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I got fitted at a running stores and I ended up buying the Mizuno wave creations and I love them. It fixed my knee problems within 2 days!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    My knees were junk until I switched to Chi Running form, using Newton Running shoes.
  • camillehardeman
    Options
    I'm no expert but I just got a pair of Nike LunarFly+ (I think that's what they are called?) and they are amazing. I must have tried on a million different shoes but these are great, they provide more support and stability without being too heavy.
  • christatree
    christatree Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I recommend getting fitted at a reputable (running) shoe store that has an easy to understand return policy. Make sure it's a good store. 1 sign is that they should let you wear them and run around indoors and outside of their store to test them out before buying.
    I purchased my first pair of real running shoes from Fleet Feet (Northfield, OH). They were Mizunos and I thought they were good at first. A few times on the treadmill and 1 run outdoors within 1 week and they made the bottom of my feet hurt. I cleaned the trail dust from the bottoms brought them back to the store and they gladly refitted me with some Asics. I didn't have any problem returning them at all.
    I have slightly high arches but do not pronate so a neutral shoe with some stability works for me. I also like my running shoes in a half size larger than my normal shoe size. (unless the brand runs small then I get a full size bigger)
    I've had success with Asics, Saucony and Brooks. I noticed at the end of 300 miles my Asics Cumulus 11 were too soft so when I changed to Saucony Triumph 8 they had a little more support. These worked well.
    A few months ago I won a pair of Brooks Ravenna 2 from a running store raffle and I love them and shouldn't have to shop for another paid until mid 2012.

I've never paid more than about $100-120 for my shoes and be sure to ask about discounts if you belong to a running club. Sometimes you can get 10-15% off.
  • sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    It's what your foot needs that is the best for you. Absolutely go to a Running store, such as fleet feet, and get fitted completely. This includes them assessing your foot and gait while walking and running on a treadmill in different sneakers. They will be able to determine if you need a stability sneaker, etc. You could hear a million different ideas on what are the "best" running shoes but it is all based on what a person needs individually. Your pronation, gait, arch, running form, etc all play a part and we are all different in little ways. Good luck finding your perfect shoe!