How to not get bored with eating healthy

Options
My problem with sticking wtih a healthy eating plan is I get bored with it so fast. I do really well for like a week or two and then get bored with it. I need some ideas on healthy foods that are tasty and what you all do to not get bored with it in a short amount of time. Thanks!!

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    The best solution is to not eat healthy ALL THE TIME.

Eat healthy MOST of the time, and occasionally have things that society typically labels as "unhealthy".

The only food you should try to avoid would be artificial trans fats and any food that you have an individual intolerance/aversion to.

You should still be able to fit a small amount of junk food into your daily or weekly budget of calories and macronutrients while still having the majority of your foods come from whole and minimally processed sources.
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    Change it up every day... walk a different route or try a different machine. There are a million ways to cook chicken, and other things... don't eat the SAME thing day in and day out. Constant change is the only reason that I am still here after 5 months. I too, get super bored super easy. And talk about it!!! ALL the time! IF your family or friends get tired of hearing about your journey, blog about it on MFP... none of us EVER get tired of hearing about people's successes, struggles, etc. Good luck to you! :drinker:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

Eat healthy MOST of the time, and occasionally have things that society typically labels as "unhealthy".

The only food you should try to avoid would be artificial trans fats and any food that you have an individual intolerance/aversion to.

You should still be able to fit a small amount of junk food into your daily or weekly budget of calories and macronutrients while still having the majority of your foods come from whole and minimally processed sources.

I respect Sidesteals posts ..but this (imo) is not "the best solution". There are literally thousands of posts here about this very topic. It is a great question. The idea that occasional junk food is ok can work for most but dont let it be an excuse.
  • Blueeyed1985
    Blueeyed1985 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I have issues with "binge eating" so that is why I'm trying to avoid unhealthy foods as much as possible. I have a hard time eating only a small amount of the foods I really enjoy. I just need to find more healthy foods I enjoy.
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    Thanks! I have issues with "binge eating" so that is why I'm trying to avoid unhealthy foods as much as possible. I have a hard time eating only a small amount of the foods I really enjoy. I just need to find more healthy foods I enjoy.

^ That being the case then you should do what you feel is best. I should have clarified that if you are not capable of only eating a small amount of junk food, then you shouldn't.
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    The idea that occasional junk food is ok can work for most but dont let it be an excuse.

An excuse for what specifically?
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Healthy food doesn't have to mean boring food. There are so many great helthy recipes out there that have all kinds of taste and flavors. You can even take your favorite meals and add a healthy twist to them.
    I eat all kinds of lean meats and vegetables and never with a shortage of great flavors.
  • jenlarkin300384
    jenlarkin300384 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Use websites for there recipes so you can cook and try something different for dinner. I'd say plan you meals weekly/fortnightly/monthly so then you know whats planned for the week ahead and not having to think about what you can cook. Also I find with doing this, the cost of my shopping goes down as I am not buying food for the sake of it.
    x
  • Shoechick5
    Shoechick5 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I agree, healthy doesn't have to mean boring. You just have to find ways of keeping it interesting and not live off lettuce. I've been craving wings so tonight we're having faux wings made with boneless skinless chicken thighs and lots of Frank's hot sauce.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Healthy food doesn't have to mean boring food. There are so many great helthy recipes out there that have all kinds of taste and flavors. You can even take your favorite meals and add a healthy twist to them.
    I eat all kinds of lean meats and vegetables and never with a shortage of great flavors.
    THIS!:wink:
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I can relate! In fact, I think it's the reason why most of us (including myself) have failed with diet attempts in the past. You go all in and stop eating junk and that's just not fun. I'm a foodie so if I'm not happy with the foods I'm eating, I'm not happy.

For me, the key was to keep eating the same types of foods that I enjoy but tweak the recipes a little so they're healthier. Like cutting the amount of pasta and adding more veggies or using leaner meats and using less (instead of 1.5 lbs of 80% ground beef, use 1lb of 90%), etc.

And like sidesteal said, have the occassional junk if it makes you happy. But maybe consider making it more healthy junk - like dark chocoalte instead of milk chocolate.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    sorry, duplicate post
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    The idea that occasional junk food is ok can work for most but dont let it be an excuse.

An excuse for what specifically?

that eating healthy is too hard or too boring or that "I am depriving myself if I dont eat that twinkie" and those types of excuses. IMO, they are not reasons to eat unhealthy, they are excuses reinforced by the idea that its ok. I am not saying that occasional junk food will ruin your health. I am saying that eating junk is not necessary to sustain a long term healthy diet.

The main justifcation to eat junk on most health sites is the self fullfilling prophecy that "if I deprive myself of my favorite treats I will get bored or mad or whatever" . That does not have to be true. Again...I am not anti junk food per se. But it isnt required to maintain this lifestyle unless you allow it to be.

We are not depriving ourselves by avoiding junk food. We are rewarding ourselves by avoiding junk food..
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I agree, healthy doesn't have to mean boring. You just have to find ways of keeping it interesting and not live off lettuce. I've been craving wings so tonight we're having faux wings made with boneless skinless chicken thighs and lots of Frank's hot sauce.

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/homemade_hot_sauce.html

You can make you own hot sauce without all the salt.
    Ingredients
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1 cup diced onion
    2 medium chile peppers, such as poblano, New Mexico or Anaheim, diced
    2-4 habanero peppers, or other small hot chile peppers, stemmed, halved and seeded (see Tip)
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    1 pound tomatoes, diced (about 3 cups)
    1 cup distilled white vinegar
    2 teaspoons salt
    1-3 teaspoons sugar

Preparation
    Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, chile peppers, habaneros to taste and garlic and cook, stirring, until the onion is soft and beginning to brown, 3 to 4 minutes.
    Reduce heat to medium. Add tomatoes, vinegar, salt and sugar to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes begin to break down, about 5 minutes.
    Carefully transfer the tomato mixture to a food processor or blender. Puree until smooth. (Use caution when pureeing hot ingredients.) Set a fine-mesh sieve over a medium bowl; pour the pureed mixture through the sieve, pushing on the solids with a wooden spoon to extract all the liquid. (Discard solids.) Let the sauce cool to room temperature, about 1 1/2 hours.
  • twogoots
    twogoots Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    This is something a friend suggested. For dinners: Take 30 note cards, put a different meal on each of them (try to incorporate new meals you have not tried, but are on the healthier range). Put them in a shoe box and shake them up. Pull one out each night for the NEXT nights dinner. She also said to pick only once a week with 7 cards in each pick. That way you can set a grocery list to what you need for that weeks meals.

I am going to try this starting January 2nd. Sometimes she suggested it be a night out meal too. Challenge yourself to find healthier alternatives at restaurants. I am going to allow myself 5 to 7 days of "eat out meals" for the month (if I pick more than two in one week, I'll put that back in the box and repick). I have not tried this, but it sounds good to help have a plan in place each week.
  • Sidesteal
    Options

that eating healthy is too hard or too boring or that "I am depriving myself if I dont eat that twinkie" and those types of excuses. IMO, they are not reasons to eat unhealthy, they are excuses reinforced by the idea that its ok. I am not saying that occasional junk food will ruin your health. I am saying that eating junk is not necessary to sustain a long term healthy diet.

The main justifcation to eat junk on most health sites is the self fullfilling prophecy that "if I deprive myself of my favorite treats I will get bored or mad or whatever" . That does not have to be true. Again...I am not anti junk food per se. But it isnt required to maintain this lifestyle unless you allow it to be.

We are not depriving ourselves by avoiding junk food. We are rewarding ourselves by avoiding junk food..

Thanks for your explanation. We can agree to disagree.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options

This.... #^^^

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-dirt-on-clean-eating/
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    This is something a friend suggested. For dinners: Take 30 note cards, put a different meal on each of them (try to incorporate new meals you have not tried, but are on the healthier range). Put them in a shoe box and shake them up. Pull one out each night for the NEXT nights dinner. She also said to pick only once a week with 7 cards in each pick. That way you can set a grocery list to what you need for that weeks meals.

I am going to try this starting January 2nd. Sometimes she suggested it be a night out meal too. Challenge yourself to find healthier alternatives at restaurants. I am going to allow myself 5 to 7 days of "eat out meals" for the month (if I pick more than two in one week, I'll put that back in the box and repick). I have not tried this, but it sounds good to help have a plan in place each week.

That is an awesome idea! I will be stealing that for sure!!!! :bigsmile:
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    When I changed my diet slowly I started to notice I no longer craved "junk food". Now when I eat junk food it tastes pretty crappy- makes me wonder if it was always that way... But, I agree like SS said. Eat MOSTLY "healthy", hell, I treat my self to two slices of Freschetta pizza here and there, as long as it fits into your macros who cares?

If you are a binger, I suggest you don't completely deprive yourself of "tasty" food. This will only make you want to eat 3 boxes of eggo waffles with a jar of nutella.

Check out healthy recipes and create good eating habits slowly... Maybe you'll start to crave "healthy food". :p
  • DMinCT
    Options
    My trick is that I give myself three meals, anytime during the week, to eat whatever it is I want. I lost 40 pounds last year doing it this way. This way I don't feel like I am depriving myself.