A question for runners

Options

Replies

• sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    if alone during the day yes, if at night or with a group no. not during short races either.
  • KayakAngel
    KayakAngel Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, heavy metal blaring, but only in one ear when I run outside, for obvious safety reasons.
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    MUST HAVE MUSIC!! I usually listen to Dubstep or something with a really fast beat....It helps me run faster. I could never run without music :noway:
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I don't. I find it very very hard not to move to rhythm in music, and this alters my pace when I run, in a way I don't find entirely helpful. I've been toying with audio books, though!
  • mimaduck83
    mimaduck83 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I cannot run without music...well I can but I hate it. If I am on a road with no pavements I take out one earbud and tuck it into my bra strap and then when I am back on the pavement I stick it back in. It helps to keep me focused and stops me thinking too much about how bad I am at running!
  • halleygruber
    Options
    I have to listen to music. My iPod is the difference between a 1min run and a 60min run.
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I don't for safety reasons - I live in the country and don't want to risk being hit by a car!

Me, too! I personally like to take in all of my surroundings & lose myself. That is MY time!
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I run with my iPhone (Runkeeper tracks my distance, pace, etc. & I listen to music on Pandora). However, I can't use the earbuds (they won't stay in my ears), so I just have the volume up and run carrying my phone. It's loud enough that I can hear the words, but I can still hear everything going on around me, which isn't a lot at 6am in my subdvision.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I don' t run a lot outside but when I do I have a dos equis.....errrr sorry wrong commercial. But Yeah its a must to have music playing while running. Its my motivation. If not it would be along boring run...unless you live in a large populous city.
  • lydiasullivan
    Options
    no, i have a hard time keeping ear buds in. its annoying having to constantly adjust...
  • tandroes
    tandroes Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Yes! I always do, because it distracts me from the sound of my own stomping and heavy breathing

this is me! i hate those noises! lol
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I only ever run with music when I run alone.

When I am conducting a running clinic or running in a group, I have a no headphones policy.

When you are together with a group, it is a wonderful opportunity to interact with others and enjoy each others company.
  • shybelle
    shybelle Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Yep..I have a playlist just for running. It has only songs I know that I enjoy that way I don't ahve to deal with switching tracks. Now, I need to buy an arm band so I don't have to just hold my iPod
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I usually run with a friend and we talk ..... but even when I run alone I don't listen to music. Like others have said, I run outside and don't want my hearing blocked.
  • shybelle
    shybelle Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    crap double post!
  • TWrecks1968
    TWrecks1968 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Treadmill - it is a must. I recently ran a six-miler on a trail during the day, and, half of the run I had my playlist blaring. At the turn around, I just turned off the music, and I was overwhelmed by the peace and calm of the natural soundtrack. A week later I ran a Half Marathon for the first time with no music, and it was a much more enjoyable experience. I experienced all the other runners, the music, the cheering, that would have been drowned out by the tunes. Again, on a treadmill, I couldn't do it without the music, but I will not be listening to anything on the road/trail.
  • kcgslp
    kcgslp Posts: 212
    Options
    Sometimes.... I have a "Workout" mix with my favorite up beat music. But I don't want to rely on it so I don't always use it. Although somedays I just love the energy it gives me.
  • jayhonea
    Options
    I'm not sure if I could without. I run on sidewalks and we are are a dead end neighborhood so not a lot of traffic. I put my phone on 80's/90's hip hop through Pandora and let the good time roll!!
  • ARMom8251
    Options
    Always!! It motivates me to push myself, and it helps me feel like I've left the world behind and its just me, and the path I am taking!
  • TerresaJ
    TerresaJ Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Absolutely need music. It keeps me going. When a song starts, I aim to keep going until that song is over...then an new one starts...and I have the same goal. It helps to break up the distance and time. :happy: