A question for runners

Options

Replies

• DisneyMommy
    Options
    No music for me. It's my "me time" so I like to take it all in and don't like the distraction of the music (or the earbuds).
  • Pronoiac
    Pronoiac Posts: 304
    Options
    Hardly ever. When I run it is usually trail or Riparian Preserve. It is a very intuitive experience and I thrive on the sounds of nature. Music would just be noise that distracts from the experience. Plus it involves just that much more gear to mess with! I would run naked if I could!
  • drivermarshy
    Options
    if im running alone i use my ipod but if im running with a friend i find were chatting all the way and when it gets hard to chat its time to stop :)
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    If i am running with friends/group I do not listen to music. We talk so no need for music.
    If I am running alone I do to keep me occupied but only use one earbud and have the volume set very low.
  • purpadillo
    purpadillo Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    If I'm running in my subdivsion, I will sometimes run with music. However, if I go outside that area, I do not for safety reasons. I want to be able to hear every dog and car that comes my way. I also find that when I'm doing long runs (8+ miles), I find the music more distracting and annoying that anything. If I'm indoors, I'll listen to it ~50% of the time. I'd probably do it more, but I don't always remember to grab my MP3 player and I find the ear buds annoying if I'm trying to do speed drills on the treadmill.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I love running with music. It's like the icing on the cake!! But I can run without it and do many times.
  • CRMrunner
    CRMrunner Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I always run with music. I normally run outside, but I think it's easy enough to see cars coming with headlights. I also wear a reflective vest and carry a light when it's dark.
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I do (it makes it more fun - and time to listen to music), I just started running in September after years (almost 15 years :blushing: ) of not exercising. AT all (due to taking care of you kiddos & stressful but fun job).

I have a shuffle (for running outside), I used to use an iPod (phone size) but it was too cumbersome. I use the phone size iPod for the elliptical so I can see a plot of my heart rate, and I also have great headset with fantastic sound output - and it is it is not in the ear (earbud) but over the head soft headset, which stay put!! LOVE my setup!

Got several playlists depending on my mode. Love figuring out different playlists too!!!!! I run with music during races too!
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I listen to music when I'm running during the day. However, I have switched to running around 4 AM and I do not use music because it is dark. I don't know if I'll go back to music though because my pace immediately and dramatically increased without it.

I agree with this - I would not feel comfortable to run with music in the dark!! and I too would run without music/headset.
  • snshinenor
    Options
    I can't run without music. I ran my first half marathon in September and and wore two ipods in case one of the batteries died.. lol If I am running and my ipod dies, I turn around and run back home..
  • CouleeRunner
    CouleeRunner Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Yes when I am running alone and no when I am running with my group, in the dark, or in a race.
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    Not when I am running outside on the road. Parts of my neighborhood doesn't have sidewalks or bike lanes. Also, there are several hills on my out and back route, so I feel more comfortable when I can hear cars and other people who may be coming up behind me.

However, if I am running at the track, then I will listen to music. But, I make sure its low enough that I can still other people around me.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Always.

iPod Shuffle and some Sony headphones that are a sort of spring with earbuds on the ends. Never have a problem with them falling out. The best part is that the cord is only about 10" long so with the Shuffle clipped to my collar, the cord doesn't get in the way either.

For my 1/2 marathon, I pre-planned the playlist with just the right songs for zoning out in miles 3-10 and my favorite "pump me up" tunes for final 3 miles. Bummer was that I finished 6 minutes ahead of my planned pace and missed out on the song I'd selected for the final push.

But I'm not complaining about being faster than my goal! :bigsmile:
  • msarah76
    msarah76 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I used to when I ran outside but stopped for safety reasons. I always do when I'm on the treadmill though not through headphones, I set up a radio and play it LOUD.
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I must be the weird one here! I don't listen to music when I run outside. I used to, but I stopped. I didn't want to have to deal with an iPod or mp3 player and headphones during races so I decided to train without it. Honestly I don't miss it at all. I like to find pretty places to run when I can and focus on where I am and enjoying the moment. I like feeling "unplugged" (although I did buy a gps watch yesterday to track everything so I guess I can't claim to be unplugged anymore haha)
  • Kickinkim418
    Kickinkim418 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    YES, I definitely do.....I have to....gives me motivation!!!
  • ydeleon
    Options
    Definitely...But on my longers runs or race, I end up tuning it out after 10 miles or so
  • FiremanSam111
    Options
    I like to listen to music whilst running on the road, but when I go bush running through the NZ native bush trails, I like to listen to only the sounds of nature :-) It's very peaceful, bar my huffing and puffing!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I run better with music. I don't have it loud and can still hear everything around me.
  • TheCats_Meow
    TheCats_Meow Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    No music = no run.

Like others have said, it distracts me from the pain, how far I have left to go, weather conditions, etc.