I'm so cheap that I....

Options

Replies

• bkw2488
    bkw2488 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    With six kids, I let them go to the local pool for a bath and clean up :laugh: Do tons of bulk shopping and watching for sales!!
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I am so cheap I only buy brand name clothes on sale, I buy $3 bras from Walmart, cheap socks and underwear from Walmart, shoes from Payless on sale, and also shop at second hand stores for fashion items. But pants... well, that's a whole different story. I get those $100 a pop. I guess it makes up for it. :)

As far as shopping stores... we don't have a cheap grocery bill but I will always go for the store brand and what is on sale. Guess we just buy a lot of food. Doesn't help I make a new meal every night lol. I do the mail in rebate thing, coupon surveys, and other good things. My email is overloaded with coupon newsletters for restaurants, clothing stores, hair salon, and whatever else I can think of.

Love being cheap though. Saves misery in the long run. :)
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    I can't get the hang of coupons. Seems to never save me much since I already buy generic and most coupons are for name brand foods.
    I cook at home and pack the kids lunches. Saves us money and usually is healthier.
    I'm big on clothing... Only buy on sale or clearance. If things get stained, I dye or applique over them on the kids things. I patch holes and sew.
    I resale gently used clothes to resale shops. What they don't keep, I save bits of to applique with or patch. Or add to the bottom of hems that need lengthening. I use old sheets and things to make rugs and bath mats.
  • Moonbyebye
    Moonbyebye Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I make my own snack size/portion sized things using my food scale and measuring cups. It is so much cheaper to buy a giant bag of almonds than a 7 snack pack one. I just sit down, weigh and bag portions. It takes time but is worth it.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Everytime I'm about to check out all my groceries, I'll sit there and stare into the basket and pick things out that I don't think I REALLY need and stick them back on the shelves. It drives my husband so nuts. haha
  • Jyster
    Jyster Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have had the same 12 pack of cottonelle TP in my bathroom for guests for the last 8 months. I use the 59 cent single ply cheap stuff.

All veggies that are about to turn I make into wine, or they go into the compost bin to help my cruddy little garden.

I buy bulk seasonal produce from the local farmers. Still working on a 50 pound bag of potatoes but almost out of onions.

When I visit my family I bring the big begging bag and shop in their kitchens when they are out of the room. Sometimes even when they are in the room. Yea, I'm THAT guy :)
  • WendyFitMomCHANGED
    WendyFitMomCHANGED Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I'm so cheap that I ......

......don't pay full attention! (waka waka)
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I only ever shop at thrift shops for clothes
    I spend about $15 a week on food
    The employees at the 99 cent store literally know me by name.
    I collect bottles I find on the street and turn them in for CRV
    glue my shoes back together when they're falling apart (like right now)
    Make my own toothpaste
    Never buy starbucks, unless it's with a cup of someone else's so I can get a 50cent refill (also, I get a venti hot brewed coffee with ice in a separate cup so I get 3x as much coffee as I would if I had gotten an iced)
    I eat mustard for lunch sometimes when I'm out because it's free.
  • DayumStraightIAmEllie
    Options
    At the moment.....i cant think of anything because im super tired. But as a kid i remember this very clear.

My dad pulled into the gas station. I was about 7 or so. Then he left without getting gas. I asked "Daddy why didn't you get gas". He told me "because the one across the street is cheaper." Indeed it was cheaper. By ONE cent! Crazy padre:)
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    i only buy stuff that I am going to use.

Sounds simple, but all the "deals" on sale and clearance items that I never actually used (except maybe once) in the past cost me more than I should have spent.
  • MarleeRayne
    MarleeRayne Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    What do you do to save money?

Latest one as of ~1 hour ago....I bought "big kids" asics because they're cheaper than the women's version. haha.

Thanks for the idea! I was headed out to purchase running shoes today. Great!
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    I actually LOVE COUPONS.... but the best thing I've done so far!?!

I signed up with a ton of different restaurant email/reward programs (even texts recently) and gave them all a different birthday! Now, every single month I get free food from various restaurants like Ihop, Shari's, Denny's, Acapulco's, Applebees, Arbies, Auntie Annes Pretzels, Baskin Robbins, Starbucks, etc. Its funny, its always my birthday ")

Also, I recently found coupons from my movie theater on facebook where I can get a new coupon sent to my phone every week for the concession stand! Of course, I send them to both my phone and my boyfriends! Half the time its a free soda or popcorn which saves a good 25% of the movie cost! "D

The list for the birthday freebies is here! ")

http://thefrugalgirls.com/birthday-freebies
    *of course, many couponers may already have this list!*
  • kitkat9138
    Options
    whenever I'm at the local coffee shop I grab a couple extra splenda packets for my back pocket :)

great saving tip - instead of buying a $4 or $5 latte, order a black coffee and add a pump or two of syrup, then your milk at the bar. most of the time my coffee shop does not even charge me for the pumps I want.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    whenever I'm at the local coffee shop I grab a couple extra splenda packets for my back pocket :)

great saving tip - instead of buying a $4 or $5 latte, order a black coffee and add a pump or two of syrup, then your milk at the bar. most of the time my coffee shop does not even charge me for the pumps I want.

I do this :)
  • nokittyno
    nokittyno Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Cheap things I do..

When my socks go, sometimes I attempt to sew them,

I have sewed almost every pair of Jeans I have that always get a hole

When I lost some circumference weight, my bra was too lose - I cut off ends equally on each side - re attached and? Sewed it.

I too use Duct Tape for many things

When my MP3 Players clip broke, ( I was to cheap to pay for the warranty) I went to Staples, bought a clip they use for magnetic fridges - and glued it with Gorilla glue. It's still going strong. I call it - Frankinsteinedcip.

I wanted a Dip Belt - but hadn't the money, I took 2 ankle Cuff wraps for resistance bands - SEWED IT, attaching chains and carabiners. It works for now,.

I wanted a stand for my mp3 player for my speakers - instead of buying one, I used a 2$ reduced gel wrist pad from staples, cut a slit into it, re-sewed it and crammed it it. It now stands verticle.

Honestly i'm cheap - but thrifty, but I am also a shop-a-holic.

Funny thing people, we do the strangest things in some ways, and in others.
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options

I GET MY MUSIC OFF YOUTUBE CONVERTER - F** PAYING ITUNES

Ha, yes, I do this too. Not because I'm cheap, just because I can ;)
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options

Was this for real? 0.o
  • jacquelyn_erika
    jacquelyn_erika Posts: 524 Member
    Options

Was this for real? 0.o

Hahaha i'd like to know, too!
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options

Was this for real? 0.o

Pretty sure that if I eat mustard for lunch, I'll reach my goal in two weeks or less.
    Hahaha i'd like to know, too!
  • Ajaay
    Ajaay Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I make my own laundry detergent. It's better and I hate running out. This way I have the stuff on hand to make more. Will have to look up recipes for the toothpaste, shampoo and conditioner though.