Tea

Options
vonalj
vonalj Posts: 124 Member
I want to drink more tea to help my oral fixation. However, I really don't like the taste of tea by itself. Any ideas of what I can add to it to make it taste better...? TIA!

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Do you like herbal tea? It doesn't generally include actual tea.
  • jenC_wl
    jenC_wl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I like Chai tea (just like normal tea but with a more interesting and spiced flavour, you would usually add milk to this) and also green teas with flavour infusions - Try green tea with a raspberry infusion. Black saffron tea is also a good alternative.
  • babylemonade
    babylemonade Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I drink black tea with a splash of milk and some Splenda.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I am a former tea hater - but someone saved me and introduced me to Harney and Sons teas. ALL are delicious. However, Cinnamon Spice is my FAVORITE. They also have a green tea variety in the same flavor. Awesome - sweet enough without added sugar and good for you!

You may have to order on the internet - but don't be afraid - check out reviews on Amazon if you don't believe me! It's SO GOOD - the only tea I'll drink!
  • kcgslp
    kcgslp Posts: 212
    Options
    Do you have a Teavana shop near you? Or a specialty Tea store. Go in and sample some teas. I'm not a fan of tea but I was in Teavana this weekend with my daughter and I tasted some yummy ones.

p.s. they also have a website you can order from if you cant find a specialty tea shop near you.
  • JennL418
    Options
    I like Constant Comment . I can't remember which flavor exactly but it is the reddish orange package. It is super yummy!!
  • danascot
    danascot Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I love tea! I usually just add one or two packets of Splenda. If it's black tea I also like a splash of milk. Try Bigelow's Mint Medley - it's excellent! Or, consider apple cider packets (in the same aisle as the cocoa). The sugar free version only has 5 calories (or about that amount) and it is a great fix when I want something sweet.
  • rufflestx
    Options
    buy ginger root fresh from grocery. Slice paper thin about 3 tablespoons. Dont need to peel to make tea. Place sliced ginger in about a quart of rigorously boiling water, after a minute or two turn off the heat and let it steep. Best tea ever, and super great with a little honey. I double ginger and cool to make iced ginger tea.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Try more tea! If you don't have teavana, head over to Peets coffee (if you have these).

Personally I drink black tea and spiced tea with sweetener. I use stevia or honey, but mostly stevia. These are the ones I am also likely to add milk to.

You can make your own chai or spiced tea easily. Add some cinnamon, cloves, cardamon, fennel seeds (anise) and even whole black pepper to your tea leaves (Vanilla bean is great too).

Add lemon or orange or lime or ginger or mint to a lighter tea, like green.

The best thing you can do is do a tasting. Also pay attention to the water temperature, it makes a huge difference. Here are the basic types to try:
    * herbal: can be made with anything, herbs, flowers, fruits and is typically caffeine free
    * rooibos: caffeine free, naturally sweet and richer in body, no bitterness, holds flavors well. Starbucks has an excellent vanilla rooibos latte!
    * white tea: light in taste, delicate, use cooler water to prepare and steep for 1-2 minutes max. Good for delicate flavors. It naturally tastes sweet, delicate, sometimes herbal or grassy or floral, low caffeine
    * green tea: typically tastes green, grassy, fresh or herbal. use cooler water to prepare and steep for about 1-3 minutes. Common flavors; jasmine, toasted rice, citrus fruits, apple, pear. Medium caffeine
    * oolong tea: this has a stronger flavor between green and black tea, it has elements of earthy and grassy at the same time. Steep for 2-4 minutes. Not commonly flavored, but would be excellent for a chai style tea. A little more caffeine than green tea
    * black tea: most common tea, richer taste, astringent, nutty, earthy. There are lots of variation celyon, assam.... Flavored varieties are very common from stone fruit to spices to vanilla to other fruits. Earl Grey is a very common flavor. Hold milk the best in non fruity varieties. Has the most tannins and astringency, steep longer with hotter near boiling) for 3-5 minutes.

You can probably find a flavor you like. I find that black tea and rooibos are great for dessert like teas with nutty flavors or vanilla or chocolate. Also good for stronger fruit flavors.

White and green are best for herbal or lighter fruit flavors. I also like these iced, the feel light and refreshing in the summer.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    just keep drinking it. unsweetened tastes bad at first but over time you learn to love it.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Mint tea.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I want to drink more tea to help my oral fixation. However, I really don't like the taste of tea by itself. Any ideas of what I can add to it to make it taste better...? TIA!
    I love green tea mixed with lemon, and I slowly backed off how much sugar to add until I stopped altogether.
    Now, I just enjoy the tea,
  • LGOllie
    LGOllie Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Yum! I love ginger! I will do this!
  • LGOllie
    LGOllie Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Need to figure out how to quote, but replying to suggestion for ginger tea! Sounds good!
  • susan2913
    Options
    I brew greentea then refrigerate it. I add Crystal Light Lemonade to it.

I started with half and half. Now I drink 2/3 tea with 1/3 crystal light. Delicious
  • HealthyAcademic
    HealthyAcademic Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Make sure you aren't over-steeping your tea or not leaving the tea leaves in long enough.

Other than that suggestion, I echo the wise folks who have posted above me. I am a total tea addict :o)
  • rainbobrite929
    Options
    You can order from www.tealuxe.com too ... wonderful local (New England) tea shoppe
  • Inebriated
    Options
    Bump
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I agree that if you keep drinking it, you will become more accustomed to the taste.

However, this depends on what kind of tea you drink. I find that certain brands of the same stuff taste far better than others. For example, the Meijer brand green tea with berry flavor is bitter, and I need to add sugar to it. The Lipton brand green tea with berry flavor is awesome just by itself.

I also agree that the amount of time steeping matters quite a bit. I tried some Vanilla Roobios Tazo tea from Starbucks today for the first time. The first sip was weird, and kind of minty, since it hadn't steeped long enough yet. The next few sips tasted kind of like cookies (yum). Then I started to taste flowers. Then it just got weird again and I left the bag in there too long. Once it was cold, I ditched it.

One of my favorite unsweetened teas is the Passion Tea from Starbucks. It's an herbal tea, so it's not really tea, and it's decaf. It has a fruity/floral flavor and it looks like kool aid but without any sugar or sweeteners. You can sweeten it, but I prefer it without.
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I agree with not over-steeping your tea. That will cause it to be bitter. A black tea should be steeped about 3 minutes.

I love a good, strong black tea with stevia and a splash of (almond) milk. I like different flavors, too, but am satisfied with just a good, strong Irish breakfast. My favorite flavored teas would be Republic of Tea's Blackberry Sage and The Jasmine Pearl's (online tea merchant) Blackberry Fig and my favorite plain black would be Upton Tea's (another online merchant) River Shannon.

Black, green, and white teas all give you a different taste and you should also check with a guide to make sure you brew them at the right temperature and time. Most teas take water just at boiling, but some need the water not quite that hot. Upton Tea has a good website with all that sort of information.

Different herbal "teas" (not really a tea, but a tisane - pronounced TEE-ZHAN) will also give you a different taste. My son prefers a rooibos (ROY-BOSS) or red "tea." I'm not fond of rooibos. To each his own.

Loose teas also give you a different taste than a bagged tea. The loose tea is generally of a better quality and many times you can use the tea leaves for more than one steeping depending on the type of leaf, but definitely don't save it from one day to the next - ick!