Anxiety/Scared while flying....

Options
CoraGregoryCPA
CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
What can I do about this? I just have a huge fear that I'm going to fall out of the sky. I have a huge fear of falling!

I'm getting married next August. My fiance loves to go to international destinations. The longest flight I had was 9 hours and it was so hard for me.

For our honeymoon, he wants to go to China. It will be a 3.5 hr flight to San Francisco, then a 12 hour flight to China. How do I survive this? On our 9 hour flight, I took Ambien.. It did nothing. I was awake after an hour then I was in fear of being able to drink because I know you should never mix the two.

I like to drink wine while I'm on a plane or I need some good drugs. Anxiety pills? Well butrin? Prozak? What do I do to relax and survive this flight? What have others done for international flights (not domestic flights please)?

Oh, please help me!!!

Replies

• Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    As unsettling as it is just remember that your chances of an accident are far greater in a car then in a plane.
    Morbid but true,you really have almost nothing to be worried about.
  • sarahlovestorun
    sarahlovestorun Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Xanax is my best friend when flying.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I love to fly! Maybe you should get some sleeping pills and try to sleep for most of the flight, though.
  • HeikkiLaukkanen
    HeikkiLaukkanen Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'm an airline pilot. I have talked to people until I'm blue in the face about the incredible engineering that goes into an airplane, the back-up systems, the extensive training and experience requirements that the people fixing, monitoring, planning, flying, etc. are required to have. I have talked about the absolutely incredible safety statistics, how many people fly versus how many accidents there are. You are just about safer in an airplane that you are at home on your couch.

At the end of that people still feel safer getting on the highway surrounded by people driving very fast, very heavy equipment while putting makeup on, texting, eating, driving drunk, than they do by having trained professionals deliver them safely to their destinations.

Clearly I'm not an effective counselor.

I hope that you can find an answer to your flying anxiety. Best of luck.
  • Justkf
    Justkf Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Girl, i am an old pro at this. Friend me and we can exchange messages.
  • Frankenbarbie01
    Frankenbarbie01 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I have terrible anxiety about flying!! I used to be medicated (valium) to fly but this last trip to vegas in Feb we travelled with a group of people. I was too embarrassed to take anything that was going to knock me right out:blushing: Soooo.
    I took my smart phone and looked for free deep breathing apps and took a under the tounge drop from the healthfood store (Bach Flower remidies???) Used 1/2 the bottle on the way there.....I also LEARNED more ,about the mechanics of flying the more you understand the more you can rationalize to yourself that the apparant air pockets only make you FEEL like you are falling. It is really just different temps of air, like when you swim in a lake or pool and is NOT dangerous or scary. Between the three I have been able to go from a hyperventalating, sobbing mess on a 45 min flight (Ya...you DONT want to sit next to me!!) to being able to fly to Mexico and the carribbean, 6-8 hours, and actually relaxed enough to watch a movie.....places I would never get to experience had I not made an effort to 'talk myself down' You can find a method of controlling your anxiety!! I believe in you!!

I think for me it has alot to do with the perception of 0 control of the environment...the imaginary brake doesnt work 30000 feet in the air LOL. Pilots are well trained and they know what they are doing as are the attendants (whom I watch like a hawk LOL...if they look nervous.....I pay closer attention =)
  • wmacinpa
    Options
    I take 5 mg of Valium when I put my butt in the seat of the aircraft. It greatly relaxes me and I can tolerate the flight. I found that as I flew more and more it got easier. I fly 2 or more times a month now without a second thought. Talk to you doctor. It is something you have to actively manage. On longer flights I take 1/2 of one and later take the other. I am sure your doctor can help you work it out.
  • latinahada
    Options
    Usually if you call to your Dr.'s office they will prescribe you Xanax or Ativan if you explain to them the situation!! Good luck!!
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I'm an airline pilot. I have talked to people until I'm blue in the face about the incredible engineering that goes into an airplane, the back-up systems, the extensive training and experience requirements that the people fixing, monitoring, planning, flying, etc. are required to have. I have talked about the absolutely incredible safety statistics, how many people fly versus how many accidents there are. You are just about safer in an airplane that you are at home on your couch.

At the end of that people still feel safer getting on the highway surrounded by people driving very fast, very heavy equipment while putting makeup on, texting, eating, driving drunk, than they do by having trained professionals deliver them safely to their destinations.

Clearly I'm not an effective counselor.

I hope that you can find an answer to your flying anxiety. Best of luck.

^^^^^. THIS!

I know when you have a fear logic goes out the window, but I did aviation accident research and analysis for about 7 years. Commercial flying is pretty much one of the safest forms of travel in the world.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    Options
    http://www.flyingfear.net/Download/10StepstoOvercomingYour FearofFlying.pdf

I found this,,, this might help me as well.

I'd actually like to learn the ins and outs of a plane. Maybe I'll buy some books in the meantime about the mechanics of a plane. Usually, the more knowledge I have, the less fear I have. Yet, I've never used this idea for flying!!
    I wonder if flight lessons would help me too. One thing that will comfort me on the plane is when the pilot talks on the sound system like an everyday normal person, not just an operator. I love to hear updates-even if he has to lie to me.

When I'm in a car, I feel like I have control and (bonus) I'm not going to fall. When I'm on a plane, I don't know the pilot or his experience. I don't know if he cares about me falling out of the sky-lol. It's my crazy side, I know. I take domestic flights often, but I'm usually quite buzzed-which works well for domestic flights!

I'll have to look into xanax and valium!!
  • wmacinpa
    Options
    Its not you trust me. My father in law is in maintenance for a major airline, I know all the safety and redundancies. When I was younger in the Navy I had no problem flying anywhere. I do have an extreme fear of heights to boot. Its you guys that I trust and allow me feel at least a little comfortable when I fly!
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    Options
    I'm copying, pasting and saving this entire thread!! All of your advice helps little by little by little :)
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I love to fly! Maybe you should get some sleeping pills and try to sleep for most of the flight, though.

This is me. major fun rush!
  • HeikkiLaukkanen
    HeikkiLaukkanen Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    http://www.flyingfear.net/Download/10StepstoOvercomingYour FearofFlying.pdf

I found this,,, this might help me as well.

I'd actually like to learn the ins and outs of a plane. Maybe I'll buy some books in the meantime about the mechanics of a plane. Usually, the more knowledge I have, the less fear I have. Yet, I've never used this idea for flying!!
    I wonder if flight lessons would help me too. One thing that will comfort me on the plane is when the pilot talks on the sound system like an everyday normal person, not just an operator. I love to hear updates-even if he has to lie to me.

When I'm in a car, I feel like I have control and (bonus) I'm not going to fall. When I'm on a plane, I don't know the pilot or his experience. I don't know if he cares about me falling out of the sky-lol. It's my crazy side, I know. I take domestic flights often, but I'm usually quite buzzed-which works well for domestic flights!

I'll have to look into xanax and valium!!

If you have questions I'll do my best to answer them for you.

I used to be a flight instructor. One of my students decided to get his private pilot's license so that 1) he could relate to his stepson who was a helicopter pilot in the Army, and 2) so that he could conquer his fear of flying. I think he was successful at both from the things he told me. One of my best students.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    You just have to decide to get over it. I know it sounds ridiculous, but I've been trying this lately and its really helping. Just saying, "Oh well."

I had tons of fears and this past year have pretty much been getting over them one-by-one by simply...literally...getting over them.

I know it sounds too easy to be true...but it worked for me...so maybe just try ^.^ good luck and congrats on ur wedding. ^-^ Planes are much safer than cars if that makes u feel better~ One of my dreams is to go to China...i love Chinese culture...so pls have fun for me!
  • Mama_CAEI
    Options
    I used to be fine with flying, until I had kids. Now I get major anxiety attacks. In a word: Ativan. Ask your doctor for a prescription...even just 10 pills to have on hand. Take half a pill shortly before your flight. If you don't actually fall asleep, you'll be so relaxed, you won't give a hoot about anything!!
  • chicago_dad
    Options
    Do you believe in god? If you do, it should be a significantly easier leap of faith to believe in the *theory* of aerodynamic lift and flight:

http://www.langleyflyingschool.com/Pages/CPGS 4 Aerodynamics and Theory of Flight Part 1.html
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear you don't like flying, hun. I would go to a doctor and talk it over. Maybe an anti-anxiety med will help. I don't think drinking the whole flight will help--especially since it will dehydrate you and make you feel icky.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Do you believe in god? If you do, it should be a significantly easier leap of faith to believe in the *theory* of aerodynamic lift and flight:

http://www.langleyflyingschool.com/Pages/CPGS 4 Aerodynamics and Theory of Flight Part 1.html

Wow... this woman has a serious issue with flying! I would recommend skydiving to anyone who has a fear of flying. You think I'm kidding?? While I've never been scared of flying, I know a lot of people who've tried skydiving to help them get over their fear. It works! No to mention... IT'S AWESOME!!!!!!
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Xanax is my best friend when flying.

I second this. I also have a ridiculous fear of flying. I tried lots of non-drug options to get over it, and nothing worked. Xanax makes me a functional human being when I fly.

P.S.: To the airline pilot, chicago_dad, etc.: It is an *illogical* fear. I've tried to use use logic and my knowledge of how safe it actually is to calm myself down, I know it's safe, but I still get physically ill from anxiety. Knowledge of reality doesn't always fix mental problems.