new n scared

Options
Hi Im 42 and soo sick of being over weight. Im 232 and have been trying (yoyo-ing) to get back to my ideal-for-me weight of 140 for 3 yrs now. my biggest problem is sticking to a healthy diet and fitness programme no matter what ie not turning to junk food to cheer myself up after a bad day whatever... then once I've broken the diet thinking "oh well might as well leave til now til monday/next week/next month and start again"... and then using that spare time to gorge myself before i start again... it's a horrible horrible cycle which I hate, but cant seem to stop.

I really want this time to be different because my weight is really spoiling my life, but and this sounds so stupid, Im really scared about tomorrow (new years day) because it will be time for me to start again and I really dont know what will be so different this time........... and i cant bear the thought of being like this forever

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Possibly stop being so strict, and seeing it as a diet.

With MFP counting your intake and expenditure, a little junk food can be worked in, accounted for, guilt free.
  • rachelrox81
    rachelrox81 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm tired of yo-yo dieting too! Let's do this! Only, this time if we mess up let's not say we ruined everything and spoil the weekend only to start over on Mondays. If we mess up, we get right back on track the next time we put food in our mouths! You can do this!!!
  • SetecAstronomy
    SetecAstronomy Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I really want this time to be different because my weight is really spoiling my life, but and this sounds so stupid, Im really scared about tomorrow (new years day) because it will be time for me to start again and I really dont know what will be so different this time........... and i cant bear the thought of being like this forever
    With a little help from your friends (here at MFP and in person), there is absolutely no reason for you to feel that you will be like this forever. The site is a tool to help you with your goals; the wonderful, positive people give you encouragement in the forums (and your friends will sometimes give you encouragement on your "wall"). I'm with rachelrox81...you can do this!!
  • stephcamp4
    Options
    How about take it as a challenge! I had a bad snack, that just means, I need to turn up the tunes, dance, and burn some calories! We all fall off and on the horse, it's those who choose to get back on (you) who will make the change! Good luck in your journey! I know you can do it!
    Stephanie
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I may have not taken this as seriously as I should have.

I've been yo-yo dieting all of my life. Each time, getting even bigger, until 4 years ago.

Did I stop yo-yoing? No, not really. But each year I lost with a program too strict to maintain, inevitably failing to maintain, but still showing a good loss and improvement in fitness. What changed was that I realised I was on my way back up, and I needed to start again before I undid all of my hard work. Each year, my top weight and my bottom weight numbers became less.

I've now found a way to consistently keep my weight down by not being so strict.

Even if you can't stop yo-yoing, there's still a way out. Over the last four years, I've lost 60lbs, but never more than 30lbs without going back up.

Keep in mind, I did this without even a calorie counter. MFP is so much easier.
  • ezr2breath
    Options
    I have thought the same thing everytime I try to lose weight....what will be different this time. Well, what has been different for me so far is recording my food. I HATE recording my food, but as I have read 100 times and it is even on this website before you log in, that those who record their food lose twice as much weight. Well, I made up my mind to give that a try this time and stick with it for more than a week. I don't have a regular exercise routine yet because I wanted to focus on recording my food first. I have noticed that recording each day makes me more conscience of what I put in my mouth. Also made me more aware of how few vegetables and fruit I am eating. So it has helped me to include more vegetables in each meal. Like was mentioned earlier, recording your food and being accountable for your calories you can fit in junk food if you just have to have it. Or if you just want it:)

There is plenty of support on this site and the best part for me is that I don't have to pay for it. Everyone is willing to give of their time to help each other succeed. You will be compelled to pay it forward!

I wish you the best!!!!
  • moxi155
    moxi155 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I just need to say one thing...please do NOT think of this as a diet! Incorporate the things you want "a little of" in your day...then you won't feel deprived! You cannot eat tons of sweets, but it's not wrong to have a handful of M & Ms now and then...just work out and you will always see results.
  • dietkix
    Options
    Start NOW:
    Eating clean and exercising equal losing weight.. and eating clean is more important than training.. tho training is def an essential too.. so:
    1) throw out all junk food. no, really, do that NOW. if you don't have that junk laying around, you can't eat that, right? and go grocery shopping.. but buy only healthy stuff, and lots of fruits, so if you feel like binging then eat raspberries, tangorines etc etc.
    2) do online searching for gyms, fitness clubs etc.. go there and buy yourself a monthly pass.. talk to trainers and START WORKING OUT.

then start learning more about healthy food, reading labels etc.. simple as that :) and oh, if you have a diary or sth, then plan your workouts and meals and write them down..

and it's all about willpower and motivation.. need motivation? google stuff :)
  • LenL
    LenL Posts: 17
    Options
    You've already taken the hardest step. You're here! That's whats important. I am new here too and find that there is a lot of support. We are all trying to accomplish our own goals. Stay determined and know that your not alone. Feel free to add me if you like.
  • FaithHopeTrust
    FaithHopeTrust Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Don't diet.
    Change how you eat... Change what you eat.
    Dieting means you can then stop the diet, and then you gain back when you go back to eating how you did, before the diet...
    Slowly change what you eat and start doing more exercise and things :)
  • hluvj76
    hluvj76 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've done the Yo Yo thang for over 2 yr. In April of this year I found out I was diabetic and had to be placed on meds (no shots TG). This really changed the way I was looking at things. I was always 20-30 pound over weight (according to charts and doctors) 15-20 if you asked me where I was happy...LOL. In April I was 150+ over just by my standards....OMG! I don't know how I got here but I'm ashamed to be seen and I hide from the world like some kind of troll. I'm SICK of it! In April i took control and rather then "Diet" I decided to change my way of thinking....I see sweets for what they are...POISON to my body! Now now...I like my sweets but I cut more and more each week and today I can eat 1/2 a candy bar and then be sick from how sweet it is....LOL! I have lost 43 pound since April. I came to a stand still about 2 months ago and when I came across this site the other day....WOOT WOOT...Maybe it will help me get back on track and it has already made it easier to keep track of things rather then guessing my way through it all.

HUN....I know your SCARED.....several of us are! Promise your not alone! I want to be able to go in a Walmart and bye something to wear....I'm sick of having to order my cloths and pay an arm and leg just so they fit and don't show all the fat I've packed on the past few years. Ugh! I want my kids to be proud of me when they see me and are out with me. I don't want to feel like people are starring at me everywhere I go (((Beached Whale)))....especially when I'm eating out....the shame really eats at me. I use to talk about .... well ME....When I was thinner! I never judged anyone by the way they looked BUT I couldn't understand how ANYONE could allow themselves to get like "THIS".....Now here I am....I'm here to tell ya - It's not hard! Ha! Talk about putting your foot in your mouth, I DID! Can I have a little salt w/ that? ha ha

I make myself get up and move everyday. I stopped asking my kids to fill my glass...I get my butt up and do it! I started push mowing the yard....a few strips at the beginning and then finally I could get over half before my heart was busting...LOL~ I mop my floors everyday - twice a day...need it or not...I NEED IT! Gyms are fine...don't get me wrong....but is that a real option for you? For me....NO! #1 I don't want to be seen in public especially in a room full of fit or healthier people (I have issues..ha) #2 The ($$$) Cost of it. Wish I had the money to throw but I have 2 teens (we have 3 together) and life is expensive as it is...PLUS if your doing the shopping you know eating healthier is more expensive on it's own. #3 I don't have the time....for me I have to drive 45 min one way just to get to the nearest Gym. That 1 1/2 hours drive time and then another hour there. Ha. I'm heading back to work and between that and my responsibilities at home...I'm lucky to sleep 5 hours.

JUNK FOOD: I didn't throw it out. I have kids....that's just not a real option. I had to learn CONTROL....and I started buying things I could have to curb that craving....Snack Wells 100 Cal packs, Nutri Gran cereal Bars 100-120 Cal each, Popcorn rather then greasy chips, Jello, Fresh fruits....I'm also a veggie (cucumber) nut! Like I said you have to look at food different....smarter choices. It's not a diet it's a way of life! :flowerforyou:
  • Longbowgilly
    Longbowgilly Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    You have made the right move, we totally understand how you are feeling a lot of us have been there, I know I have.
    This is a great supportive community, I have not been here long myself but already I am getting to know people and hopefully people are getting to know me.
    One thing I would suggest is to download the app if you have an iPhone, I have found it to be brilliant, logging stuff is really the best thing to keep you on plan and as I can log the calories of whatever I have had within seconds of eating it is great! I also like the fact that I can use it to check the calories BEFORE I indulge, it makes you much more aware of what you are eating.

Settle down and read through the posts, you will learn lots and it won't seem so scary!
  • LeeDahlen38
    LeeDahlen38 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Let me tell you what a wise person once told me. You can start over each day knowing what the possibilities for success will be like.... Or you can not and wonder for the rest of your life. Simply put, Failure is only failure if you quit trying, not if you stumble and get up and try something different. Good Luck!!
  • Mrs_Me
    Mrs_Me Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi Im 42 and soo sick of being over weight. Im 232 and have been trying (yoyo-ing) to get back to my ideal-for-me weight of 140 for 3 yrs now. my biggest problem is sticking to a healthy diet and fitness programme no matter what ie not turning to junk food to cheer myself up after a bad day whatever... then once I've broken the diet thinking "oh well might as well leave til now til monday/next week/next month and start again"... and then using that spare time to gorge myself before i start again... it's a horrible horrible cycle which I hate, but cant seem to stop.

I can relate to this. I joined yesterday so I guess I should start doing something now but to be quite frank I just don't know what to do with myself. I know it sounds daft but it's kind of how I'm feeling right now. I'm also anxious about sabotaging it tomorrow since we'll be around the inlaws and I don't want to tell anybody in case I can't keep it up iykwim.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I lost about the same amount of weight that you want to lose, after years of thinking I couldn't. What finally worked for me was to focus on eating for health goals and getting lots of exercise. All I did was walk for exercise but I built up to walking a LOT. I learned to focus on one day at a time - just try to beat that calorie goal.

After awhile the fast food cravings were gone. Knowing how much damage that junk was doing to my body, and both seeing and feeling the difference it makes to eat right and exercise, I can't stomach the thought of the garbage I used to eat. Besides losing weight, my skin is beautiful, my energy level is great, and everyone thinks I'm younger than I am, even doctors.

It's worth it to take care of yourself. It's worth giving up the convenience of fast food and logging the hours of exercise. It's worth it to feel healthy. Once you've made some real progress and the compliments start rolling in you'll be craving new slimming clothes instead of old fattening foods.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options

It's the most difficult but most wonderful journey I've ever taken.

Just make the decision to do this and let nothing stand in your way.
    And cut yourself some slack too. Allow for some treats from time to time.

Welcome and good luck!
  • dorisholaway
    dorisholaway Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I know exactly where you are coming from. I have lost and gained weight for many years. This time I have lost 55 lbs. since last January 8. I plan on losing even more this coming year. I do have days that I mess up, but I do not let that get me down. I am a 53 year old Maw Maw and I want to be proud of myself (which I am beginning to do) I went from a size 22/24 to a size 14 and plan on going down to at least a size 10 or smaller in the near future. MFP has become my best friend. There are so many supportive people on this site and it is very easy to track the foods I eat. I am sending you a friend request. I would love to help you along your journey, and let you help me along mine.
  • Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Hi Sammibob, I weighed a few more pounds than you did when i started but since i discovered this site i've been able to start losing weight sensibly. It's all about making small changes and building on them. The people you makes friends on this site with with help you along the way as we all know how your feeling.

Good luck on your journey. I know you'll have great success if you just stick with it even if life tries to get in the way.
  • Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Hi Sammibob, I weighed a few more pounds than you did when i started but since i discovered this site i've been able to start losing weight sensibly. It's all about making small changes and building on them. The people you makes friends on this site with with help you along the way as we all know how your feeling.

Good luck on your journey. I know you'll have great success if you just stick with it even if life tries to get in the way.
  • moxi155
    moxi155 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Keep focused...you CAN do this!