only 1200 calories per day, help!!!

Options

Replies

• shellimus
    shellimus Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Break it into 4 sets of 300 calories, thats one each for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks.

300 cal breakfasts - 2 eggs, some porridge, yoghurt with fruit and nuts
    Lunch - chop salad made from tomatoes, cucumber, celery, olives. Or home made vegetable soup. A slice of ham or chicken won't bust the calorie bank either.
    Dinner - grilled chicken breast with steam veg (broccoli or cabbage, say) or a stir fry with lots of peppers and mushrooms.
    Snacks - small piece cheese, hard boiled egg, handful of almonds, rice cakes with humous, cottage cheese - any of those should come in around 100 cals.

It does seem very low at first sight, but with a bit of experimenting it is possible.

Good luck!

Great ideas. Thank you, this was helpful!
  • shellimus
    shellimus Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I used to be like that, too. When I first started drinking water, it felt like I went every 5 minutes. However, once your body adjusts to the new routine it seems to get better.
    I drink about a gallon of water everyday. On top of that, I have coffee, tea, crystal light, and an occasional diet soda. I guess you could say that I'm a heavy drinker.
    When it comes to the food, it seems pretty easy if I'm "in the zone". Last time that I was in the zone, I lost about 68 lbs in a little over a year. I stepped out of the zone due to stressful circumstances and gained 17 lbs back in about 7 months. I came here hoping that it will help me step back in.
    By being in the zone, I mean that my mind is made up. It's a feeling of "I WILL do this"...not "I WANT this" or "I'm FAT."

In the last week, I have this weird feeling going on. It's a "not full" type of feeling. I remember this from before, and it means that I am on the right track again. Not full but not hungry either.

I think you are right on! It's really important to make the decision to do it and be in the zone.

I like to call "not full but not hungry" politely satisfied.
  • alva538
    alva538 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    breakfast choices for me: oatmeal, hard boiled eggs, fruit and yogurt,

Lunch: frozen entre w calories not to exceed 300, progresso soup, homemade turkey veggie chili, homemade meals that have protein and lots of veggies,

dinner: salad, sauteed veggies or grilled veggies (zucchini, broccoli, onions, bell peppers, tomatoes, squash, asparagus, anything you like)

i hate fruit but it does help me stay full in between meals as a snack... also keep fiber bars near when i have the urge to snack and eat everything in sight....

yes, drink lots of water and if you exercise... even walking on treadmeal for 1 hour will help you burn more calories so you can eat more and not be so hard on yourself. Eventually you will adjust to it just stick with it.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    How do you do it? I've been on diets before but find it impossible to stay under 1200 calories without being famished :(
    So guys what do you eat on a typical day and still manage to stay within your goal? I know sometimes if I’m under on calories I’m usually way over on fat/carbs/sodium, help me please :)

For starters and excuse me if someone else already pointed this out, it's not a diet! Diets are temporary and most often don't work! This is a lifestyle change. Look through people's diaries, check out websites like www.skinnytaste.com Eat lot's of veggies, weigh and measure all your food!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    breakfast choices for me: oatmeal, hard boiled eggs, fruit and yogurt,

Lunch: frozen entre w calories not to exceed 300, progresso soup, homemade turkey veggie chili, homemade meals that have protein and lots of veggies,

dinner: salad, sauteed veggies or grilled veggies (zucchini, broccoli, onions, bell peppers, tomatoes, squash, asparagus, anything you like)

i hate fruit but it does help me stay full in between meals as a snack... also keep fiber bars near when i have the urge to snack and eat everything in sight....

yes, drink lots of water and if you exercise... even walking on treadmeal for 1 hour will help you burn more calories so you can eat more and not be so hard on yourself. Eventually you will adjust to it just stick with it.

Id prefer a lower sodium lunch like:

2oz chicken breast with sundried tomatoes, baby spinach, havarti cheese on a rosemary wrap.
    Top it with Kraft olive oil mayo and its perfect macronutrient wise.

When you start making your own food you have better understanding of what you put into your body.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Someone may already have mentioned this, I haven't read all the replies. As far as I'm understanding it, the 1200 calories is what you should be left with once you have entered everything on your food log and then the calories you burn on exercise are taken off the calories you have eaten, you should then be left with 1200 calories. So say you eat 1500 calories in a day, you need to burn off 300 calories to bring it down to the 1200. Having said that it takes a fair amount of vigorous exercise to burn off 300 calories. I agree with what quite a few people have said that 1200 calories is very low and I am going to find it more or less impossible.:noway:

i'm afraid that's not really accurate either. 1200 is the net minimum.
  • Shredded2011
    Options
    Green tea
    Staying active
    Eating veg and salad
    If your hungry cook a load of eggs and just eat the egg whites. It will blunt the hunger.

Become mentally tough and say hmm am i actually hungry
    score it between 1 and 10.

Do an atkins type diet or dukan diet as your probably craving CARBS - not calories

Anyway thats what I have done to get used to dieting.

Go your own way and do what you want thats what i say they are just things that have worked for me. Eggs also are a bit unpleasant so you don't rush for them and very good for you.

Some unpleasantness will of course come from dieting and its a case of being a little bit tough. I'm sure your new friends on here will help.

see ya,

Shell xx
  • Lunies
    Lunies Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'm just curious about this. I'm new to this and I'd like to know what I'm doing isn't harming my body

Using this calculator: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm ,

My estimated BMR is 1488 Cal. I am a university student so while I am not extremely active while on break, I imagine my activity level will be at least moderate when I get back, as well as I take regular walks around campus. So I used "3 times/week" as my activity level. This gave me a maintenance level of 2046 Cal. MFP first gave me a limit of 1200 Cal, but after reading a couple of these types of threads, I switched it up and it gave me a limit of 1510 Cal. On top of this, I plan to be working out without the help of a gym (The people there intimidate me), so basic things like running, pushups, swimming occasionally.

2046 - 1510 = ~500 in deficit, so about pound a week lost.

As long as I stay over my BMR, eat wholesome foods, and move to my maintenance level when I reach my desired weight, do these numbers work out in a healthy way? Also, 1510 is the net number, correct? Lastly, is it alright to be eating only a little higher than my BMR?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I could not live happily on 1200 calories a day. Exercise, log it, earn more calories. Simple.
  • zenzoes
    zenzoes Posts: 187
    Options
    Try to workout and burn some extra cals so you can eat back all or some. I swim and burn anywhere between 600-1200 cals. I can't possibly eat all those back in a day, but they days I am super hungry it allows me the slack I need. Best of luck.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    or just eat more. 1200calories isn't for everybody and honestly I've only had maybe 1-2 1200calorie days and all I did was sit around the house b/c it doesn't take energy to do that, lol and so 1200 was enough to fill me up. but I typically eat in the 1300-2000calorie range and you can still lose weight . but i exercise a lot as well
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Okay, I'm just curious about this. I'm new to this and I'd like to know what I'm doing isn't harming my body

Using this calculator: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm ,

My estimated BMR is 1488 Cal. I am a university student so while I am not extremely active while on break, I imagine my activity level will be at least moderate when I get back, as well as I take regular walks around campus. So I used "3 times/week" as my activity level. This gave me a maintenance level of 2046 Cal. MFP first gave me a limit of 1200 Cal, but after reading a couple of these types of threads, I switched it up and it gave me a limit of 1510 Cal. On top of this, I plan to be working out without the help of a gym (The people there intimidate me), so basic things like running, pushups, swimming occasionally.

2046 - 1510 = ~500 in deficit, so about pound a week lost.

As long as I stay over my BMR, eat wholesome foods, and move to my maintenance level when I reach my desired weight, do these numbers work out in a healthy way? Also, 1510 is the net number, correct? Lastly, is it alright to be eating only a little higher than my BMR?

Dont cut 500cals...cut 20% from your maintenance.
    It will most likely give the same results without putting you below BMR.
    Always eat above BMR unless you are morbid obese and have a doctors note!
  • JenMarie826
    Options
    I'm allowed 1.200 as well per day. But I like to drink water between meals and bites when I'm eating! But I also like to try to workout up to an hour a day just to get a good calorie burn and then that way if I am still hungry later I can use some of the calories i burned to munch on some snacks... But ALWAYS keep water next to you and just keep sipping it!
  • jenlarkin300384
    jenlarkin300384 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    If you really struggling with 1200 cals a day, set your weight loss to the one below, that way you should gain a few more cals back and not go over. x
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    When you guys hit that wall make sure you go and do the calculations on a reliable website like fat to fit radio.
    Youll quickly realize that 1200 is never a good number unless you are very short and have a BMR of 1000.
    I've seen faster weightloss with people eating 1600 calories than with 1200 calories.
    With 1200 calories you are almost guaranteed a slower metabolism and less weightloss.
    *shrugs*
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I bumped mine from 1200 to 1400 by switching to "lose 0.5 lb per week" that's all I was losing eating 1200 anyways so I figured it couldn't hurt. I also work out hard to eat more! I have a big appetite and 1200 didn't cut it.
  • _itsB_
    _itsB_ Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You don't give me a lot to go on in your profile, but am I right in reading you have more than a 100lb to lose? if that's the case then you are *absolutely* undereating. You need to eat far more than 1200 to lose at a healthy 2lb per week rate.

Re-run your BMR, and see what MFP are recommending as your daily intake. My guess is it will come out around 1600.

Also remember to eat back some of your exercise calories in addition to your daily allowance. This isn't so important if you're just doing light exercise, but if you're doing anything that's producing a decent sweat, you need to fuel that.
    no i dont have 100lbs to lose, maybe you looked at someone elses profile? im aiming to lose 25ish, maybe 35 if i feel 25 isnt enough when the time comes.

I think im going to change my settings to 1lb per week, i know il get 1300ish that way :) It never goes any higher because of my height.

Also to everyone else I'm starting back in the gym on monday, along with starting c25k :)

Thanks for all the helpful hints and advice :flowerforyou:
  • SalishSea
    SalishSea Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is a good daily goal. It can work for weight lose and weight maintenance. I am finding it does take some planning and pre-meal food preparation. I fill myself up with protein. Pork chop, turkey, protein bars. Solid white canned tuna. It's great if you can find the high-end gourmet cans of tuna. I LOVE frozen veggies. They are so good hot. I splurge and use some precious calories and put French Churned melted butter on them. They are filling and healthy and taste great when hot with good, fancy butter on them. I also eat avocado, boiled eggs. I try to eat small amount calories during the day so that I can have a traditional, satisfying dinner. Albeit and sane portion at dinner. Your appetite does shrink after awhile. You won't always be famished. It gets a lot better.

One thing I would like to say about 1200 kcals/day is that you have a wee bit of room for an extra doing during the week. That has been nice this Christmas week.
  • _itsB_
    _itsB_ Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    just checked BMR 1432 calories, switched to losing 1lb per week instead of 2, now Ive a better guide at 1430, feels much more managable :)
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    just checked BMR 1432 calories, switched to losing 1lb per week instead of 2, now Ive a better guide at 1430, feels much more managable :)

I think you'll find that very manageable. Also, do remember your exercise will give you a little leeway too. With increasing your cals, you may find your body needs a few days (or even a week or so) to adjust to the new calorie level, and then you should start to see losses. Just persist with it for a couple of weeks before starting to worry. Maybe think about not weighing at all for that time period.