Going vegan... need help!

Options

Replies

• daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Just to note here: Vitamin B12 is a bacteria-based vitamin - animals get theirs from eating foods containing it, and that's how they themselves become "sources" of B12.

Vegans can easily reach the recommended daily dose of B12 by incorporating nutritional yeast (adds a nutty, cheesy flavor to foods - how convenient!), fortified milks or B12 supplements into their diets.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Here is the help I can offer, DON'T GO VEGAN!.
    Read the book called "The Vegetarian Myth" by Lierre Keith.
    Watch the YouTube interview with her at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNON5iNf07o

She was a vegetarian for 20 years, It almost killed her.

Any diet will affect your health if you aren't getting the proper nutrients. There are countless vegetarians and vegans out there, ranging from dancers to triathletes. If you are eating a varied diet and meeting all your macros, there is nothing wrong with leading a compassionate lifestyle.

Also, it's pretty easy to find information specifically about this book that pokes holes in how she used her sources.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Here is the help I can offer, DON'T GO VEGAN!.
    Read the book called "The Vegetarian Myth" by Lierre Keith.
    Watch the YouTube interview with her at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNON5iNf07o

She was a vegetarian for 20 years, It almost killed her.

Any diet will affect your health if you aren't getting the proper nutrients. There are countless vegetarians and vegans out there, ranging from dancers to triathletes. If you are eating a varied diet and meeting all your macros, there is nothing wrong with leading a compassionate lifestyle.

Exactly. Everyone should be paying attention to what they eat. Eating animals isn't magical - you don't get all you need, omnivores need to pay attention to their nutrients as well.
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Just to note here: Vitamin B12 is a bacteria-based vitamin - animals get theirs from eating foods containing it, and that's how they themselves become "sources" of B12.

Vegans can easily reach the recommended daily dose of B12 by incorporating nutritional yeast (adds a nutty, cheesy flavor to foods - how convenient!), fortified milks or B12 supplements into their diets.

Awesome.. jotting down "nutritional yeast" on the shopping list now.. I would like a cheesier flavor to my foods, because I miss cheese (but I don't miss the way it affects me)
  • missbertie
    Options
    Be strong. You're perfectly correct in your comments to this very rude person. My daughter was vegan, but unfortunately she lived in the dorm at college and is "no longer with us" due to a hiking accident this summer. She would have been an excellent source of information. She became vegan because eating meat started making her sick. She was very successful for the last 7 years of her life and it made her feel much better. Good luck!
  • shasha_84
    Options
    I changed to a vegan diet a few months ago and honestly never felt better. I don't get all the digestion problems being brought up. I have NEVER had a digestive problem while eating vegan. In fact, I used to have them but when I switched they went away. I love it. Obviously its a personal choice and it is not for everyone. People choose to eat vegan for a variety of different reasons. It doesn't make one reason better than an other. Good luck, I hope you like it like I do. add me if you want :)
    Ignore the haters. Its so easy to judge someone when you have never tried it yourself.
  • Mski02
    Mski02 Posts: 28
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm a veggie, not a vegan - but I have often thought about going the whole way....

Alicia Silverstone has a nice website and book - think it's called 'the kind life' - may be worth a look and it has lots of recipes.

Good Luck!

M
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I changed to a vegan diet a few months ago and honestly never felt better. I don't get all the digestion problems being brought up. I have NEVER had a digestive problem while eating vegan. In fact, I used to have them but when I switched they went away. I love it. Obviously its a personal choice and it is not for everyone. People choose to eat vegan for a variety of different reasons. It doesn't make one reason better than an other. Good luck, I hope you like it like I do. add me if you want :)
    Ignore the haters. Its so easy to judge someone when you have never tried it yourself.

Truth!
    I've had plenty of reasons for switching to vegan because of the way certain foods affect me. I have never felt better in my entire life. But I'm "sometimes a vegan" or an "ovo-pescetarian"? I really don't know what kind of life style I follow haha all these stupid labels people try to put on each other :)
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Going vegan is HARD. I suggest you talk to your doctor and see if he or she will send you to a registered dietitian. The registered dietitian can help you plan out your meals so you get all your essential nutrients. Vegans are at higher risk for certian vitamin deficiencies, which is why it is so important to properly plan a well balanced diet. I also suggest taking a multivitamin. www.theveganstore.com has all sorts of good vegan alternatives, and even has vegan vitamins.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Awesome.. jotting down "nutritional yeast" on the shopping list now.. I would like a cheesier flavor to my foods, because I miss cheese (but I don't miss the way it affects me)

Red Star brand is my favorite! I add nutritional yeast ("nooch") to tofu ricotta, tofu-based fritattas or sprinkle it on like parmesan cheese. Delicious and nutritious!
  • floweringcurrant
    floweringcurrant Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm not 100% vegan or anything like that, but I have been a vegetarian for many years, and I'm largely intolerant of dairy. Plus I don't really eat milk or eggs, so frequently I have vegan days. I think the main thing that's important for you is finding a balance. There's a lot of non-nutritious food that qualifies as vegan - it's important to note that most of it is just as bad as any other unhealthy food. There's also a lot of really great foods, like whole grains; brown rice, quinoa, kamut... wonderful proteins and fats like coconut oil, avocado, nuts... and tons of yummy fruits and vegetables. I have the most success with a vegan-type diet when I'm eating enough protein, lots of dark greens, and moderate amounts of fruit. I also eat some tofu and tempeh sometimes. I think it will take some experimenting on your part. Set your own rules - and good luck!
  • VeggieKelli
    VeggieKelli Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Okay, lots of advice already here.

To those who say going vegan is HARD, I would very much disagree, especially seeing as you are coming from being vegetarian. Make sure to do a little research, get proper nutrition and eat a healthy diet as normal!

As for your stomach issues, I can relate. I started having major problems going on for about a year that the doctors couldn't figure out, and then one told me to do an elimination diet. Turns out I was allergic (or err, more like intolerant) to all legumes, which was devastating as I was then a 5 1/2 year vegan not having had meat for a good 10 years. Now that veganism is more challenging for me I appreciate it a lot more and make extra efforts to stay healthy. It sucks, I miss beans and soy and peanut butter so much, but I would much rather be healthy!

Some foods I'd suggest adding to your diet are hemp/almond butters, larabars, quinoa (a grain that has complete proteins and is rather good), almond milk, and nutritional yeast. Also, a B12 vitamin supplement is very important, since it is extremely difficult to get it in a vegan diet. I would also suggest staying away from the fake meats and cheeses and ice creams for calorie reasons, though you must try the tofutti cream cheese, it is SO good!
  • PinkPiggee
    Options
    Wow! So much great information on here helped me alot already! (: I decided to go vegetarian but after researching a bit I decided a vegan lifestyle was much better for myself, personally. I just barely made the transition on December 26, 2011 and have been doing great so far. Check out books Skinny ***** and The Vegan Life. Helped me out and understand what foods to eat and not eat. I also found different websites online by searching vegan food lists (:
    Hope this helped! (:
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan for two years and must say I have not found it to be difficult at all and I went vegan from an omnivorous diet.

You have already received a ton of information here. Not much for me to add, just wanted to applaud you for doing something most people consider "drastic" for the sake of your health.

If you have an iPhone, there is an iVegan app that lists obscure ingredients that are food labels and lets you know if they are from plant or animal sources. I found that incredibly helpful in the beginning. I have always been a label reader, but an even more of one now. You never know what they are going to throw in something. McDonald's French fries, for instance. They have a beef extract added. Ick!
  • Maryjaneshoes
    Maryjaneshoes Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    21 day kickstart...happy herbivore.com is a great site, and her cookbooks are very down to earth and vegan friendly!
  • danmoffett
    Options
    So I've decided to go vegan, but I'm going to be completely upfront and say I have absolutely NO knowledge on this subject. Can some intelligent vegans and/or intelligent individuals in general give me some tips, tricks, and foods that I might not know aren't vegan?

Vegan or vegetarian. Both are unhealthy for you.
    You should read a book called "The Vegetarian Myth" by Lierre Keith. She was a vegan for 20 years and it almost killed her. There are several interviews on line. Just type in her name on YouTube and you'll see several interviews.

"What we eat is destroying both our bodies and the planet, according to author Lierre Keith, a recovering twenty-year vegan. While she passionately opposes factory farming of animals, she maintains that humans require nutrient-dense animal foods for good health. A grain-based diet is the basis for degenerative diseases?we take for granted?(diabetes, cancer, heart disease) - diseases?of civilization. Annual grain production is destroying topsoil and creating deserts on a planetary scale.? Lierre urges the restoration of perennial polycultures for longterm sustainability."

Review:
    "Everyone who eats should read this book. Everyone who eats vegetarian should memorize it . . . This is the single most important book I’ve ever read on diet, agriculture, and ecology." —Aric McBay, author, What We Leave Behind

"This book saved my life . . . [It] offers us a way back into our bodies, and back into the fight to save the planet." —Derrick Jensen, author, Endgame

"[Vegetarian Myth] is one of the most important books people, masses of them, can read, as we try with all our might, intelligence, skill, hope, dream , and memory, to turn the disastrous course the planet is on." —Alice Walker, prize-winning author, The Color Purple

"We may not want to face the facts, but Keith sees this as no excuse to stay in denial. If delivered as a speech, you could see that no one in the audience would be [seated] at the end. I have never seen such rousing prose." —www.ZoeHarcombe.com (August 7, 2011)

"In The Vegetarian Myth ex-vegan Lierre Keith argues that saving the planet and ending the suffering found in factory farms can not be achieved by refusing to eat animals, it can only be achieved by boycotting modern agricultural practices, which Keith calls 'the most destructive thing that people have done to the planet.'" —www.mercola.com

You should read this book before you go vegan.
  • missfluffyuk
    Options
    I make vegan meals occasionally just because sometimes that's what my body seems to want. I have gluten intolerance, lactose intolerance, and sometimes can't digest certain meat proteins. I can usually tell just by smelling or tasting food whether it's going to sit well with my stomach or not, after many years of this. So if I want vegan, that's what I have.

There's a vegan raw protein powder that I usually have with breakfast - its in my diary. Bread usually is not vegan because most use eggs. I make my own vegan cheese out of almond meal - I modified the recipe for almond mozzarella cheese from this site: http:/ /responsibleeatingandliving.com/

They have lots of other vegan recipes and support info there, too.

Good luck!!

Which bread uses eggs? I've never used eggs in bread-making, nor have any of the other bakers I know. The only time I've heard of it used is for specialty breads. Plain bread is simply flour, sugar, water and yeast.

Bagels do have milk in though.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Haven't read the entire thread but pick up a copy of the Veganomicon cookbook. I have vegan friends who swear by it.

Pick up soy milk and coconut, rice or almond milk to use as substitutes. Soy is better if the recipe doesn't need to be cooked - it can leave a funny taste.

Fleischman's unsalted margarine is vegan where I live, but be very careful with ingredients wherever you are. There are a lot of milk biproducts in things that look vegan.

Check out quinoa for protein.

And remember- Oreos are vegan. I know, probably shouldn't mention that but we all need our treats now and again.
  • lkenn67
    lkenn67 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    There have been many great suggestions on here about starting a vegan lifestyle. I am not vegan but my daughter is. One of the big keys in creating a healthy life is research. There are many great books and web-sites listed here. Also talking to your doctor is key.

Addressing your reasons for going vegan, digestive issues. I have suffered my whole life with food intolerences that went undiagnoised until this year. Another poster mentioned a food elimination diet to identify your trigger foods. I tried that but was unable to fully identify what they were because there are so many. This summer my doctor did a specialized blood test for food intolerences. Which finally identified my trigger foods. I have wheat, dairy, seseame, garlic, yeast, yogurt cultures, and safflower. When I eliminate these food I feel 100% better. This is something else to talk to your doctor about. If you suffer specific food intolerences a vegan diet may not solve your problem.

Best of healthy and Good luck on your journey.
  • annalynne1983
    Options
    I am vegetarian, mostly because I just plain cannot stand eating meat - both the texture and taste make me struggle not to vomit. I've had this issue ever since I was very young. I don't like eggs either. For me, it is a bonus that I don't contribute to killing of animals for food - I don't necessarily have an ethical problem with humans eating meat, I just don't like it. Bit of an animal lover and all around softie, probably some idealist thrown in there...and I feel that if I am not prepared to kill and eat an animal, I have no right to expect others to do it for me. I also do believe that a well planned vegetarian (including vegan) diet can be very good for you - but like any eating plan including with meat, you can screw it up pretty badly.

The best single resource I have found - I should point out here that I'm doing a PhD in physiology/nutrition so I want to get the best info I can on how to eat a GOOD vegetarian diet - is this:

http://www.amazon.com/New-Becoming-Vegetarian-Essential-Healthy/dp/1570671443

They now have a specifically vegan book out which grew out of an earlier version of this book - I haven't read it but if it is as good as the vegetarian one by the same authors it should be pretty good. This one also has info for vegans as well as other types of vegetarian so it is a pretty good resource even if you don't get the vegan one. The reviews from the vegetarian community seem to be pretty good for these books.

Best of luck.