ideal weight

I found a great tool to find out what your ideal weight is:
http://www.shape.com/fitness_tools/ideal_weight/

It's the first time I see a calculator that takes your frame into account!
Now I now I have medium/large frame and I'm not that heavy :wink:

Besides http://www.shape.com/ is a great source of fitness and diet information.

Replies

• edyta
    edyta Posts: 258
    I found a great tool to find out what your ideal weight is:
    http://www.shape.com/fitness_tools/ideal_weight/

It's the first time I see a calculator that takes your frame into account!
    Now I now I have medium/large frame and I'm not that heavy :wink:

Besides http://www.shape.com/ is a great source of fitness and diet information.
  • Wow thank you. I set my goal weight too low. I may have to change it. I wanted to get down to 125 and the SHAPE SITE said 137 to 155 was an ideal weight for me. I had no idea I was setting myself to low. Thanks again. Heidi
  • ladyjh578
    ladyjh578 Posts: 207
    I TOO LIKE THE ANSWER I RECEIVED. THANK YOU.
    GOOD TO KNOW. :happy:
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    I used it, and my goal weight is well within the range given by the calculator. My goal is 145, and my ideal weight range is 133-147 ( going for the higher end of the range because I have been down to the low 130s and I was told by my doctor that I looked unhealthy):(
  • Thanks for the info....
    It made me change my goal weight also. I also set mine too low. :flowerforyou:
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    That's very interesting,:smile: that's the weight range I started at in November on MFP to lose the ten pounds I put on on the midnight shift over the last year. I'll tell you, I feel much more energized and healthy at this weight than I did at that weight.:bigsmile: ....so I guess if you are in your healthy weight range (I go by Canada's health guide) than it's up to you where you feel comfortable.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Dang!! Based on the thumb/index finger test I have a small frame since they overlapped (even at 203 lbs right now!!)...so it's saying my weight range is 117-130. I was going for 135!! LOL Might have to lower it a tad!!
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    It says my ideal weight is between 108 & 121:noway:
    I can't see myself that thin.
    I'm stuck @ 126 and I'm ok with that.
    Love the workout vidz though!

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • puravidame
    puravidame Posts: 57 Member
    It said my goal weight was between 136-150 which is right on with my current goal of 136.

Thanks for the info.
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Here's another good one. I posted it a while ago, but I'll do it again for the anyone who missed it.

Here's one for Happy Weight :
    http://www.self.com/livingwell/articles/2008/01/0121_happyweight
  • Erica92627
    Erica92627 Posts: 576
    My ideal weight is what I have listed on this site. Maybe I'll raise it up a little just so I'm not striving too far. Then when I get there, lower it a little more. I'll keep doing this until I reach my weight I really want.
  • Hey WOW, that was a great tool! I've always been told I had a muscular compact body. I'm only 5' and I didn't realize or take into consideration "frame size" I'm a large frame size and now I feel more confident that my goal weight can be reached without starving myself!
  • nopogal
    nopogal Posts: 162
    Unfortunately it said I should be between 130-144 and I don't think I could get that small. I'm at 177 right now and if I lost another 30+ lbs, I'd be annorexically thin. I think I'll keep my muscle mass. Better than the other ranges I've gotten in the past though!
  • Paeonia
    Paeonia Posts: 161
    *sigh* 108.5 is my "happy weight"...

small frame + major food love = :brokenheart:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    It says my ideal weight is 121-135 pounds. That's in the middle of the range MFP gives me. My current goal is 140 pounds and when I get there I may adjust my goal to 135 or 130 at the lowest. It depends on how I feel and look when I'm 140.

Thanks for the post.
  • Mtscruffy
    Mtscruffy Posts: 28
    Thanks for the info. What is the thumb/index finger test? That has me curious now. Thanks!
  • That is awesome! All the other ones I ever used showed me a weight that felt impossible to get to, but I think I can work with this new info - thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • momandwife
    momandwife Posts: 151 Member
    Thanks for the info .....

The shape.com ideal weight told me I should be between 117-130.
    The self.com happy weight told me I should be 131.4.

My Memorial Day Challenge weight goal is 135 ..... I have 7 pounds to go to get to that. I think I have my overall weight goal with MFP set at 130 ..... we'll see how I look/feel at 135 and go from there.

This website has been a huge eye opener for realizing what I put in my mouth and what activities I am doing on a daily basis ...... I LOVE IT!!! I am sooooo glad I found this site when googling!!

Good luck on everyone's goals ...... YOU CAN DO IT!!!! :happy:
  • DianneLynn
    DianneLynn Posts: 156 Member
    I guess I'm the only one it didn't work for...It says my ideal weight is 111-124 and at 52 years of age with a wonky thyroid and menopause wars, there is no way in heck I would ever be able to maintain such a low weight even if I could achieve it. I chose 130 as my ideal weight and sometimes I wonder about that! I'm pretty sure thats what Weight Watchers assigned as my ideal weight.
  • Thanks for the info. What is the thumb/index finger test? That has me curious now. Thanks!

You take those two fingers and try to wrap them around your wrist.

The shape.com one put me between 131 and 147, and the self.com one came up with 129.2. I kinda had to fudge my age up for one of them.

And now I need to shift my goal weight up a good fifteen pounds. Nice.