90 lbs to lose..what can i do

Options
Hello first off sorry about my other post about this. Im 23 and i dont know where to start on eating healthy.

Replies

• MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    You mentioned you're a college student in your other thread. Does your campus have a gym? I'm not much on the healthy eating myself, but I know that working out can get you started. Even just walking a lot helps.

And regardless of what you eat, put the calories you eat into the calculator so you know whether you're over, under, or right on target. That way technically you can eat whatever you darn well want and still lose weight. It's good to try to find food that fuel your workouts, though, and most junk food doesn't, sad to say.
  • sbgolfer06
    Options
    yea i know but i live out of a house and workout at my parents country club. like idk what to really eat to help my workout
  • tashajayne2011
    Options
    the best thing you can do is think back on the last week (slightly different ecause of the holidays I know, but still) and log what you ate. Don't dwell on amounts as it would be hard to get that right but be honest and include as much as you remember

That would give the good people here something to work from :~)
  • judynunes
    judynunes Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You can start by changing your carbs to healthy carbs like instead of eating white rice eat brown rice, instead of white bread eat whole wheat bread I know cutting carbs will help you alot but dont stop completely because your body still needs the carbs but eat healthy carbs, and if you eat eggs try to eat just the egg white instead of the whole egg, A little bit of change to your diet will help try not to drink to much sugar drinks limit your soda drink more water and just doing that will help you as well. And exercise the more you exercise the more extra calories it gives you. Just a lil help hope it helps you Good luck!!
  • LethaSue
    LethaSue Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    The best way to start eatting healthy is to cut out all white food. White foods= Sugar ......... And then learn new ways to cook and things to eat as you go along.
  • sbgolfer06
    Options
    the best thing you can do is think back on the last week (slightly different ecause of the holidays I know, but still) and log what you ate. Don't dwell on amounts as it would be hard to get that right but be honest and include as much as you remember

That would give the good people here something to work from :~)

I tried going back and remembering but could only remember what i ate friday because havent had money
  • sbgolfer06
    Options
    The best way to start eatting healthy is to cut out all white food. White foods= Sugar ......... And then learn new ways to cook and things to eat as you go along.

Like what things
  • auntie_missy
    auntie_missy Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    It's really easy. Eat less, move more. Log your food and stay at or under the goal MFP gives you; try to get in some exercise several times a week, mixing cardio to burn calories and strength to build muscle. When looking at food choices, eat less fast food - it's high in sodium, fat and carbs with little nutritional value - and avoid junk food like soda, chips, candy. Start working in more veggies, switching out higher processed foods for less processed, more nutrient rich foods. Initially, don't worry about details like carb-fat-protein ratios and optimizing your workouts - just get out there and do it. Once you start seeing progress, you can fine tune your plan.
  • abigailsMOM2011
    Options
    Walking burns a lot of calories and isn't hard! Try eatting salad with no dressing everyday for lunch!! It's cheap and very healthy!! Good luck!
  • abigailsMOM2011
    Options
    Walking burns a lot of calories and isn't hard! Try eatting salad with no dressing everyday for lunch!! It's cheap and very healthy!! Good luck!
  • gailashton
    Options
    Follow the rest of us. It's only a number. Not a diet, a lifestyle change & healthy choices, exercise, common sense, portion control - that's it in a nutshell! Lets be friends!
  • tmm01
    tmm01 Posts: 137
    Options
    Now you've made the decision. It's best to take it one day at a time. Think healthy. Eat more fruit & veg - very good for you, low in cals high in all the good stuff.

It also helps to plan your daily / weekly menu so you don't just eat straight from the cupboard. Think about your choices - are you really hungry? bored? upset? what are your triggers. If it's not real hunger find an alternative to eating to fill this gap - exercise, a good book, dring a glass of water instead of that chocolate bar. There are alternative ways of cooking your favourite foods so that you don't have to miss out. for example I love roast potatoes, not instead of roasting in oil, I use olive spray oil, about 5 squirts, (1cal per squirt) will be enough for roast for a family of 4. They still come out lovely and crispy.

Set yourself a realistic calorie daily goal, but don't beat yourself up if you go over slightly. Just pick yourself up & start again.

It sounds as though you need some good nutrition advice. Why not speak to a dietician. Get a low fat / low carb cook book. Choose good carbs - beans, brown rice etc.

Hope this helps.

All the best on your journey.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Hello first off sorry about my other post about this. Im 23 and i dont know where to start on eating healthy.
    You begin today - that's what you do.

See a personal trainer, join a gym, get a complete physical.
    Set your goals for 1 lb per week weight loss, do cardio and resistance exercise.
    Eat lean meats, whole grains, nuts, fresh fruits and veggies and low fat dairy.

That is what you do.
    And prepare yourself for a rough, hard road ahead.

If being fit was easy, everybody would be fit, but few are in fact.
    You can join that small number, but let it begin TODAY - RIGHT NOW.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    If you are living out of the house you might have to do a little investigating to find the stores that can give you good prices on good food. No idea where you live but most college towns have some lower end stores, you can get fresh veggies in season cheap and easy but this time of year you might have to buy more frozen if you have a freezer. Fresh spinach if you can stand it is always a filling base for a salad and usually cheap. Become on expert label reader, salt, sugar, and fat are all hidden pitfalls. If you are eating on campus see if they can provide the nutrition on the food they serve, they have to in our state upon request. If you are eating out, check the restaurant website before you go if it is a national chain, they usually have their nutritional values right on the website. If you have a phone that can do apps then get MFP on your phone and use it. Thats a few starters, for workouts you need to get some protein in either before or after, their are two schools of thought on MFP regarding this but whatever works for you. Just remember, this is a lifestyle change not a diet, so deprivation is not the name of the game, portion control, eating healthy, and making good choices is, you can surf the forums here and use google if you have a question about general stuff, like sodium per day, fat per day, etc. Just don't take advice from fad diet sites or the extreme workout sites, you need to start easy and work up, change a bit at a time not everything at once, you could be frustrated and quit.
  • sbgolfer06
    Options
    You begin today - that's what you do.

See a personal trainer, join a gym, get a complete physical.

Thing is i dont have alot of money. im kinda living paycheck to paycheck. and the only gym i have is my parents at their country club and they dont have trainers there
  • sbgolfer06
    Options
    If you are living out of the house you might have to do a little investigating to find the stores that can give you good prices on good food. No idea where you live but most college towns have some lower end stores, you can get fresh veggies in season cheap and easy but this time of year you might have to buy more frozen if you have a freezer. Fresh spinach if you can stand it is always a filling base for a salad and usually cheap. Become on expert label reader, salt, sugar, and fat are all hidden pitfalls. If you are eating on campus see if they can provide the nutrition on the food they serve, they have to in our state upon request. If you are eating out, check the restaurant website before you go if it is a national chain, they usually have their nutritional values right on the website. If you have a phone that can do apps then get MFP on your phone and use it. Thats a few starters, for workouts you need to get some protein in either before or after, their are two schools of thought on MFP regarding this but whatever works for you. Just remember, this is a lifestyle change not a diet, so deprivation is not the name of the game, portion control, eating healthy, and making good choices is, you can surf the forums here and use google if you have a question about general stuff, like sodium per day, fat per day, etc. Just don't take advice from fad diet sites or the extreme workout sites, you need to start easy and work up, change a bit at a time not everything at once, you could be frustrated and quit.

I live by the U of M ( University of Michigan) :ohwell: but ill look into that
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I think people react differently to food. As you start working out and noticing how you feel, you can figure out what foods best fuel your workouts.

You might want to see how you do with eggs as part of your diet because eggs are very cheap. Ground beef isn't too expensive, you might do okay on that, but then again, you might find you do better with chicken, or with more veggies, or with a mix of veggies and meat like burritos (also can be relatively cheap). What works for me might not work for you, but if you pay close attention to what your body is telling you, I think you'll find a low cost diet that gives you fuel.

If you know your diet keeps you from getting all your nutrients, a multivitamin might also help. I take krill oil (that one is kind of expensive) because I don't eat fish, and I take a gummy multivitamin that is fairly cheap.