I don't really like veggies or fruit

Options
I am a picky eater. I am trying to change that but so far not so good.
When it comes to fruit I like:
Strawberries
Bananas but only mixed in something
Apples only in applesauce
Pineapple--I can only have can fresh us to acid and I break out
I am allergic to oranges and high citrus fruits
I like pears and peaches but only canned and mixed with other fruits,

Veggies:
Peas
Corn
Carrots I will purree and eat in Spaghetti sauce

Thats it! How do I eat healthier and lower calories? I am willing to "sneak" healthy food into meals like I do the carrots. I am the only picky dieter?

Replies

• Jen0414
    Jen0414 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm......
    Have you tired other veggies?
    You won't eat an apple on it's own?
    I think you may have to incorporate other veggies especially into your diet.
    What about making a pasta sauce and cutting the veggies really small.
  • Spinach_Brigade
    Options
    For what it's worth, my personal experience has been that eating healthy food transformed my cravings. That is, after eating well for a while I stopped being so thrilled by the idea of past favourite foods, and started salivating at the prospect of the new things I'd been exposing myself to.

The net net is that a healthy diet begets a healthy appetite.
  • antipanic
    Options
    Have you tried juicing? I get most of my vegetables - especially the really good-for-you ones like spinach, beets and kale - by juicing. Today I had carrot, parsley, apple juice for breakfast, and usually I try to get at least one green juice (add lemon and you can almost convince yourself that it is lemonade) each day.

Just a thought.
  • LMHinson15
    LMHinson15 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    That's tough... I'd say work on finding ways to prepare things in a way you can tolerate (and hopefully begin to like) and stretching yourself in the area of taste.

But some "sneaky" ways to get veggies in.
    -Boil cauliflower and mash it in to some potatoes (equal parts).
    -I blend spinach and/or kale into fruit smoothies, you can see it in the color but the flavor is almost unnoticeable

That's all that pops to mind now... good luck!
  • notsochunkeymonkey
    Options
    Retrain, your palette.

You can, just start eating differently.

I even like brussel sprouts - cooked certain ways, which i HATED!
  • TheGoblinRoad
    TheGoblinRoad Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    We have choices in life and that'd be one: what to like. Practice changes a lot, including food preference. If you were to pick a new fruit or vegetable and decide that you were going to learn to like it, you could. Mind's pretty powerful that way. Like if every time you ate broccoli, you said "this is good" then after the 100th time, it might actually start tasting good to you, because our brains are adaptable. This called neuroplasticity. Neural synapses that get a lot of "traffic" become stronger. So the more you think a thing, the more real it becomes. In your case, you'd been practicing your dislike of fruits and veggies, so that's the result you get.

In my case, there are a few things I have practiced disliking. I know I could learn to love them if I wanted, but since I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables and get my nutrition, I don't actually need to change my habit of disliking those things (like mayo, etc)

:)
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Get a juicer and just force it down. That's what I did, because I want the nutrients but detest veggies.
    Eventually, I learned to like them more.
  • keywestsunset
    keywestsunset Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to make smoothies for breakfast. It's a yummy drink for only 140 calories. I have a hard time eating my fruits and vegies too. I have to remember to eat one fruit a day and half the time I grab something else instead, but if I have a smoothie I start my day out with my fruit!
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound odd, but give roasted broccoli a try. Toss the tree part with about a tablespoon of olive oil and bake at 420 degrees for 22 minutes. Add just a sprinkling of shredded parmesan cheese, if you have it handy. I know a bunch of non-broccoli folks who have been converted by eating it this way.
  • nitpick3r
    nitpick3r Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into any of the Ketogenic lifestyle options (As popularized by diets such as Atkins and South Beach but quite well known in the fitness and bodybuilding circles)?
    The limited amount of carbohydrates in such eating habits would essentially eliminate the fruit intake and only maintain green veggie basics for fiber and vitamin content.

Many a picky eater out there so you're not alone :) If you don't go for something as extreme as a ketogenic diet, maybe just have a look at the Glycemic Index of fruits and vegetables and pick low ones that you like. This would help reduce calories and increase the benefits.

All the best!
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you've heard the standard advice to keep trying the same foods over and over again--maybe prepared different ways. Sometimes a taste 'clicks' after repeated exposures. This happened to me with cold Chinese peanut noodles (unfortunately!) I had a friend who loved them and insisted we share an appetizer of them every week. Eventually, I came to love them, but the first time, I thought 'YUCK!".
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    Retrain, your palette.

You can, just start eating differently.

I even like brussel sprouts - cooked certain ways, which i HATED!

I truly believe you can retrain your palette. This has gradually happened to me over my journey and not on purpose.
    Things I used to LOVE -- sweets, diet pop, etc. just do nothing for me and I find myself willing to try new things to get new flavors. Start small and go extravegant :)
  • cravejourney
    Options
    Honestly, if you're having that hard of time getting other veggies in, best thing to do is sneak it in, like steaming them, puree them, and putting them into sauces... like... cauliflower puree and mixing that with alfredo sauce... or sweet potato puree instead of carrot... mix up the veggies a bit too... more ideas: Sneaky Chef (http://thesneakychef.com/free_sneaky_chef_recipes.php) or Jessica Seinfeld's books: http://doitdelicious.com/

My husband is a picky eater too, but since we started juicing (then throwing in a banana and yogurt), he's been more willing to try different vegetables. We even juice Kale now! Before, he wouldn't even touch those things.
  • mamasyd
    mamasyd Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I also had a limited number of things that I preferred when I started this adventure. Salads were okay if they were smothered in dressing and I would rather have veggies in sauce or at least butter. It's a process that goes step by step. As I started deleting the high sugar and highly processed foods it was amazing how the 'better' foods seemed to take on a new level of appeal. For me, I have found that trying to substitute foods that taste like others (e.g., sugar free cookies or 'diet' desserts) is no good. I needed to make some major changes. As Jillian Michaels has said, "If it didn't grow in the ground or have a mother rethink eating it!" That doesn't mean I have gone all natural by any means. I still live in the real world and have to go to restaurants or eat at people's homes. I just strive to make the best choices I can.

And the end result is that now a favorite snack might be a portion of mini carrots or a bag of sugar snap peas. I like my salads with no dressing at all because the awesome mix of veggie flavors is a delight. Fruit is my dessert these days. And all of this from a 'chocoholic' that thought any food was best when coated, dipped in, or mixed with chocolate!! Now chocolate is not even an option and when I have had a taste it really isn't something I desire.
  • PirateGary
    Options
    What's probably a more interesting question is what do you like? A lot of people don't like this stuff because their taste is tuned to things that aren't good for them. It's basically an addiction and what seems bland and horrible today is actually pretty good if you're not addicted to things that hit your pleasure centers like a nuclear weapon. It's usually salt, sugar, fats that do it. Everyone's a little different. As other's wrote, you can train your taste differently but you have to reduce and eventually really limit the things you suspect you may be addicted to. Takes time but gets easier, just like quitting anything addictive. Cheers.
  • Mandypt
    Mandypt Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Get a juicer and just force it down. That's what I did, because I want the nutrients but detest veggies.
    Eventually, I learned to like them more.

i have the same problem but just with veggies. I'll eat romaine lettuce, iceberg lettuce, spinach and carrots raw and the only veggies ill eat cooked is corn and peas... would a juicer help with just veggies?
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge veggie lover, but I find them much easier to eat if I mix them with other foods..I love beef casserole and I pile it with swede, carrots, leek, parsnip, potatoes and lentils, and eat the bits I don't like with the bits I do. I also love chicken fajitas and am able to eat loads of peppers and onions this way. Another favourite of mine is paella, I mix chicken, prawns and ham with onions, garlic, peppers and garden peas....just a few suggestions. Good luck x
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I love roasted vegetables; sweet potato, courgette, peppers, butternut squash etc. Roasting them seems to make them taste better. Another thing is to whizz up some broccoli and other veg in a blender and add to tomato sauce for a pizza, a bit like with your spaghetti bolognese. Do you like any dried fruit? A little dried fruit is better than processed sugary snacks and certainly better than no fruit at all. If you only like canned fruit, make sure it's canned in natural juice with no added sugar. The juicing idea was a good one, as with making smoothies. Keep trying different vegetables and disguise them if you must. Have you searched google for ways to hide veggies for kids? There are some quite cunning ideas out there. Good luck :happy:
  • MzFury
    MzFury Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    ...wow! ...I'm wondering how much great/whole food you've had in your life, overall - lots of people who were never exposed to vegetables cooked well think that they hate them, and suddenly find they like many of then when they have them prepared nicely, and fresh. Agreed with some below: first, if you can take tips on "sneaking in", definitely do to increase your nutrition to more normal levels as fast as possible, but then I'd say learn more about cooking techniques and how to buy the best tasting and freshest produce, and start expanding your palate.

I'm not a vegetarian, but to me, vegetables are often the most exciting ingredients to deal with. Not knowing what you've tried and clearly disliked, and in what kinds of preparations, it's a little hard to make recommendations, but write to me if you want to chat at more length about it because you can definitely make a change that way. I am FULL of ideas for produce.

Roasting almost anything makes it taste amazing, and is an easy way to handle quite a lot of different vegetables (though not a "hiding" technique); winter squashes pureed (again, you can easily roast something like a butternut or acorn squash in the skin, cool, cut, scoop out seeds, then scoop out flesh and puree as a side mash or in a soup) are fantastic and healthy bases to start with; dressing up your vegetables at first with flavor enhancers including things like, hey, rationed amounts of bacon, creamy dip or sauce, toasted nuts or cheeses is definitely OK if it gets you to the point of eating it. Obviously you have to mind those things, but if they help in the learning curve/palate reprogramming, use a little...
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Consider thinking about this for one moment: Are you really willing to jeopardize any productive weight-loss efforts and/or getting healthier because of fruits and vegetables?

I hear you on food allergies and sensitivities - Im right there with you on that part.... However, at least acknowledging that this is an issue is half the battle...most would complain and then come up with excuses... at least you are coming across as willing to make things right for yourself... thats wonderful!

The other half is that you really need to be devoted to increasing your intake because these items are crucial. This will require the effort to come from you and good meal planning will help..... and some research as well.

I dont know the situation but.....it sounds like you learned these restrictive behaviors perhaps from your parents? Those items you mentioned are usually the classically chosen in homes that either had limited funds (even more so now thanks to our economy sucking), parents who didnt enforce or reinforce trying new things at an early age because it was quick to open a can of veggies and heat and serve.... or.... perhaps you just havent had them prepared differently?

My husband came from a home where there was no structure, no appropriate parenting when it came to trying new foods... It was never a variety, never fresh (or at least the frozen varieties), and he was basically the same: peas, corn, carrots, potatoes.... thats it! He has never been a fruit fan because the sweet just hurts his teeth (same with me, but I cant even digest most fruits).... I remember the first meal I cooked for us... It was a simple Steak-tip dinner with sauteed onions, mushrooms, colorful pepper strips, garlic, herbs, rice (because I knew he liked rice) and he was SHOCKED... shocked that it actually smelled good! Homemade marinade for the steak using a hearty lager and them tips were melting like "budduh'... His mushrooms have to be near-dead for him to eat them (bleh!) but, he enjoyed everything and damn near excused himself to lick the plate clean! LOL!!!!

When his mother learned of the dinner I cooked for him, she got so frustrated and jealous that he would never eat like that as a kid. My at-the-time boyfriend (now my husband) said "you never cooked like this because it was never in the damn house!".... The shock shut her up so fast.... LOL!!!! He had no idea that red bell peppers could be so good with something as simple as garlic, herbs, a little olive oil.... he wasnt raised in a home that enforced variety... and to be honest.. shame on his mother... she worked as a registered nurse making almost $60,000.00 - clearly she made enough money and could have easily provided a better food-related environment, but she chose not to... fast food and canned/frozen meals were her easy way out from having to make an effort.... UGH...

You CAN make the changes happen but its going to require 150% dedication on your part.... Experience all that vegetables have to offer by trying homemade chinese, japanese, mexican, thai, indian.... and so much more!

Ill gladly help you out to get you started with some simple ideas to break you in.... 8-)