How to get more iron?

Options
Hey guys,
Quick question, what are some foods that are really high in iron? I never reach my iron goal- don't even get 1/4 of what i'm suppose to get according to MFP.
Keep in mind that i'm vegetarian and try to limit my dairy intake because my stomach doesn't digest it well.
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Modari
    Modari Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Green leafy vegetables (kale, broccoli, etc.) are high in iron. Make sure you eat them with some vitamin C (a squeeze of lemon, etc.) for optimum absorption.

There is a really great vegetarian iron supplement called Floradix in liquid form that I take everyday - it is made entirely of herbs, fruits, and vegetables - it actually tastes pretty good. It is really easy for your body to absorb because it is a liquid and it contains vitamin C. I highly recommend it.

Hope this helps!
  • rkr22401
    rkr22401 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I take an iron supplement
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    bump
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    bump
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't rely on the iron count in the database - it's not 100% accurate, and much of the detailed nutritional information like vitamins is often missing.
  • laineyluma
    laineyluma Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Sometimes using a cast iron skillet to cook in can up your iron intake just from cooking it in the pan. Or so I have heard...
  • melaniecheeks
    Options
    Check your cereal and bread to see if they have added iron.

Green leafy veg, beans, and things like molasses are great sources.
  • littlebecc
    Options
    Thanks guys. :) I'll check out that Floradix vitamin. I don't really notice the lack of iron affecting me but i'll try to eat more dark green leafy veg and see if that makes a difference.

So beans and leafy veg? Any more ideas? Don't think i've ever tried molasses!
  • melaniecheeks
    Options
    I think you'll find lots of ideas if you google - you can search for what will fit with your particular eating regime :smile:
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    You've already gotten all the suggestions I would have given for adding iron, but I wanted to make sure you are on a B12 supplement. B12 is only found in animal products so by not eating meat you will be lacking in B12 as well as iron.