Atkins induction?

Options

Replies

• cmthorsness
    cmthorsness Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me! I don't eat the premade stuff, I eat my own low carb inventions... Cheaper and tastier if you ask me LOL
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    I will be starting something similar, I will be doing more of the South Beach phase 1. I start on January 1st. I was sugar free, and ate no fruit or carbs for a few months last year and lost a ton of weight. I then had back issues that ended up being Fibromyalgia and Peripheral Neuropathy (severe nerve damage) so I couldn't exercise and i went to Cuba and blew it all. Now that I'm on some meds and am starting to feel better, I'm working out again and that helps me want to eat better as well. It's time for me to get healthy again. I am not starting Jan1st as a new years resolution, because I find they never work, but just want to start the year off right. Good luck friends! I use Xylitol for sugar, it tastes the same but is derived from veggies and fruit and has no aftertaste. It helps me stay on track if I can have my coffee sweet :)

I lost 50 lbs in 3 months on South Beach. Ivillage has a great south beach message board that helped me tons. I really loved SB because it is SO healthy but, I got burned out on all the veggies so I'm working on low-cal and hopefully slowly moving back towards the SB standards. I NEVER counted calories on SB but I can only imagine how much more effective it would be if you did. Especially since I ate a lot of meat and cheese.

Thanks for the info...I've done South Beach before too and really liked it, I'm still mainly on it but I need to get the sugar out again and get strict with what I'm eating again. I did count calories but not very closely, I just did it to make sure I was eating enough actually. Good luck to u!
  • danagisana
    danagisana Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Ive tried it several times with no big success. I found it really limiting and I didn't enjoy eating all of that meat and cheese. I could live without bread and pasta but it bothered me to not have fruit. The benefit though was that after a few days of induction the cravings go. Sometimes I'll still do induction for a few days if I am experiencing bad cravings.
    Also, a lot of the atkins products are filled with garbage. Frankly for me I'd rather lose the weight slower but put good things into my body.
    Good luck if you try it
  • anyonebutmehaha
    Options
    is it possible for someone that doesn't eat red meat or chicken (i can manage to eat some types of fish and turkey but chicken grosses me out, lol, i know that doesn't make much sense but i was a vegetarian since i as a kid so ) to follow something like atkins? i don't care for packaged food either...
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Please anyone who is doing or thinking of doing this, please message me and tell me what foods to avoid and eat. I tried to google it but got no where. Thanks
  • NoMoreMrFatGuy
    Options
    I have lost almost 60 pounds in the last 9 months. Granted I run about 30 miles a week however I really cut out Bread, White Rice, and Potatoes....pretty much starches. No pies, cakes, pizza, do nuts unless its a special time. My wife is from the Islands so she makes a lot of curries and stir fry dishes that I love to eat with rice. Believe it or not, I started substituting Cottage Cheese and found it to be a great combo. I feel great. When we go out with friends I don't make a scene and say, "HEY YOU KNOW I CAN"T EAT TORTILLA CHIPS." I eat some but make sure I don't go overboard.
  • TXGirl821
    TXGirl821 Posts: 115
    Options
    If you plan on doing Atkins, the best advice is to read the book and do the plan as written. Induction is not forever, only 2 weeks, and as you progress through the plan, you will find that many things you wouldn't expect are added back in. You will NOT be eating just "meat and cheese." It's a truly fabulous lifestyle plan if you do it correctly. Expect to feel sick during Induction, especially the first week, while you "detox" from all the processed white sugar and flour. But once you're over that hump, you'll be flying high! :)
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    If you plan on doing Atkins, the best advice is to read the book and do the plan as written. Induction is not forever, only 2 weeks, and as you progress through the plan, you will find that many things you wouldn't expect are added back in. You will NOT be eating just "meat and cheese." It's a truly fabulous lifestyle plan if you do it correctly. Expect to feel sick during Induction, especially the first week, while you "detox" from all the processed white sugar and flour. But once you're over that hump, you'll be flying high! :)

I havent had any white flour, potatoes, cookies, cake or sugar in 3 months. I do eat whole wheat bread, and sometimes strawberries and bananas. They seem to be high, TY
  • rsouthland
    Options
    Great topic. I love how my body responds to a low carb lifestyle like doing Atkins. In 2008 I successfully lost 100 pounds doing Atkins, however when I hit my goal weight, I went out on my own and never looked back. Sadly, I've gained it all back. So, for the last time (I've really decided this time), I'm going to lose 100 pounds doing my ever faithful low carb.

I started Atkins induction on 12/8/2011 at 296 pounds. Today, I'm 282.8, down 13 pounds in basically 3 weeks. I'm an absolute couch potato and I hate to exercise, but I know that like before, the exercise is what speeds up the process. Thus far, miraculously, I'm already down nearly 5 inches in my mid section. Today I put on a shirt and pants I haven't worn in a couple years because they were to tight. Just that loss allowed me to fit in.

My daily caloric intake is near 1700 calories, however my main focus is getting at or near 20g of carbs, with 10-15 of those carbs coming from vegetables. That's the plan anyway

Breakfast - I regularly eat 3 scrambled eggs with 2tbl spoon heavy cream, ham and cheese or something like that for an omelet, followed by 4-6 sausage links. I know people that do low fat will scream, but I haven't felt better in a long time and I'm never starving like many low fat diets result in.

Lunch - I frequently skip because I'm just not hungry at all.

Dinner - Any protein, higher in natural fats the better. Pork roast, Roast Beef, Ham - its all good. For added veggies I'll have 2.5 cups of romain lettuce with full fat dressings - either Ranch or Blue Cheese.

Snacks - I love medium tomatoes at only 5grams of carbs. They are also a great way to build up your carbs from veggies.
    Atkins bars, shakes and Russel Stovers sugar free candies. Remember that with the candy, your looking for net carbs, so 22gram of carb, minus 1gram fiber and minus 21 gram sugar alcohol, equals 0 net carbs. Don't eat to many as they will make you run for the toilet, but they are a great snack.

I'd love more Atkins / Low Carb friends so please hit me up. I track my food religiously so you can see what I eat and such.

Good luck on your adventure. It really works if you track your carbs and stick with it.

13556194.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • TNoire
    TNoire Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Ill be honest I had a doc ms-diagnose me and had me on the first wave of Atkins for 6 months and didn't want me to go off it... unlimited meats/eggs/cheese and 20 carbs a day from veggies ONLY

in those 6 months my cholesterol, fat, sugars etc levels went out of control when I finally went to another doctor I was weeks away from having a heart attack

What I learned its not the best cause you start putting grains and stuff back into your body the weight can come back FASTER and HEAVIER then before

From experience I learned this

females no less than 1200 cals a day
    males no less than 1800 cals a day

why?

if you eat less your body goes into starvation mode which causes it to store which causes weight gain

3500 burned cals = loss on 1lb of fat
    3500 cals = 1lb of fat put on

low carb is key my dietitian says 150 or less per day is a pretty good amount =)

Don't call it a diet just be wise on what you put into your body and treat yourself when you meet your goals

lean meats, red meat and taters 3-4 times in a 2 week period, whole grains keep you fuller longer, heavier meals in the morning, sodium no more than 2400mg a day, fresh fruit and veggies, don't drink you calories, 8+ glasses of water a day, stay away from junk food/fast food/processed food, treat it when you meet your goals, don't eat the samethings daily or do the same workouts or your body will plateau

but i learned all this when I gained 195lbs from quitting smoking, got on track with healthy eating and workouts and lost 156lbs in 19 months (put some back on with stress of buying/selling houses) but back on track now =)

you can do it! promise!
  • Cracklinrose5
    Cracklinrose5 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Ill be honest I had a doc ms-diagnose me and had me on the first wave of Atkins for 6 months and didn't want me to go off it... unlimited meats/eggs/cheese and 20 carbs a day from veggies ONLY

I'm sorry to say, but this would NOT be Atkins....Atkins is not unlimited meats, eggs and cheese and it is not 20 carbs from veggies a day. Please do your homework and refer to the Atkins main site before stating information not to be true. Atkins is not a high protein diet, it a a diet of higher healthy fats. In other words, you should be getting 60-65% of healthy fats in from coconut oil, olive oils, etc....fats in butter, meats etc also are allowed. Fat satiates hunger on ones body and therefore curtails the need to eat. Carbs should come from total carbs subtracting the fiber and sugars therefore giving you the Net Carbs for that food item. You should be eating at least 15 Net Carbs a day and NOT just carbs which would give you LESS of that food item.

Atkins recomends women eat 1500-1800 calories a day and more if working out...men should eat over 2000 calories a day. So broken down, your nutrients would look like this: Fats-60-65 a day, Protein 30-35% a day and carbs approximately 10% a day. You should also get in your needed amount of water intake and take vitamins such as Omega 3's, Fish Oils, etc.

please research where more and more studies are showing that low carb diets are helping both children and adults with seizure issues (epilepsy) due to the fact they eliminate sugar, gluten, and yes even wheat from the diets of these people. Please read the book "Wheat Belly" and how dangerous it is for our bodies....it affects arthritis and other ailments within out bodies.

If you were geared for a heart attack, there must have been another issues involved besides Atkins, which you were not doing correctly...so please do not blame the diet if you don't have the facts on the eating plan. I am in the health field, more and more Cardiologist are now beginning to suggest people follow a low carb diet as well as DR. who have many diabetic patients which Dr. Atkins tried to help many years ago.

I don't pot much here but I do read and I just wish people would state the facts or not do so at all without truly having info to back up their statements. Going to the Atkins main page, you can find/read all the factual documentation needed to work this plan. it's healthy and it does work...as far as gaining weight back...YOU gain weight back on any plan, including WW if you go off it and back to old habits. Please review the Lessons review section at the Atkins site to understand the plan. I have LCarbed for 10 yrs and I feel great and my numbers are good....I am not a candidate for a heart attack and I eat tons of bacon everyday!
  • Cracklinrose5
    Options
    The above should state 15 NC coming from veggies and the remainder coming from other foods with a total of approximately 20 carns including your NC
  • Cracklinrose5
    Options
    someone up above also asked about not eating meat....yes, Atkins has a vegetarian plan that is LC. Please visit their site or buy the book from Walmart, under$10 and read for more info.
  • TNoire
    TNoire Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    well she called it Atkin's when she had me on it

though that was few years back also, I learned what I know from my docs now and myself and others :)
  • Cracklinrose5
    Options
    The main thing is you are eating healthy and found a plan that works for you...we all acclimate to different types of plans.. Many are happy with WW and many with SB and others Paleo/Primal. Also hope your health issues have resolved and you overall feel better with your lifestyle :) That's all of our main goal...Happy New Year!
  • Cracklinrose5
    Options
    I also meant to say great job on your weight loss.....and I love BLoser also....looking forward to the new season!
  • cmthorsness
    Options
    http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/main_dish_recipes.html

Alot if yummy looking recipes on here also has quite a few induction recipes tooo..
  • cmthorsness
    Options
    Low Carb BUNUELOS
    (Tastes like Cinnamon Twists at Taco Bell)

1 oz pork rinds
    1 packet of Splenda
    1/4 tsp cinnamon
    2 tsp. butter (melted)

Melt the butter in microwave and add the splenda & cinnamon. Drizzle over pork rinds. You can even pop the whole thing in the microwave for a warm treat!
    Add more cinnamon or splenda if you like. If you let them cool for a while the mixture sort of hardens on them! Yum!
  • cmthorsness
    Options
    http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/pizza_chicken.html

Yummmy Trying this tomorrow, thinkin my teenage boys will love it!
  • Cracklinrose5
    Options
    I love Linda's site...I refer back to it all the time!