flat stomach ...

Options
What are good exercises for flat stomach ?

I've been trying to tone up my stomach for a while now, usually with sit-ups, but i never made it to be my habit, as after few days it got boring, and i gave up :sad:

If you ever tried some exercise for flat stomach pls share it with me :flowerforyou:

Replies

• ttrussel
    ttrussel Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Bump, so I can follow along.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Push ups. I know it sounds odd but its great because it's like the progression from planks- adding the balance of moving up and down makes it even better than plain planks.
  • nkziv
    nkziv Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    burn the fat off by restricting calories and burning calories. sit-ups don't burn that many calories, and they will more likely give you a stiff neck than a flat stomach.
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Pilates. Absolutely love it.
  • Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Pilates as it works your core muscles, or yoga.
  • Michael_23
    Options
    Any type of cardiovascular exercise such as running will be beneficial for burning abdominal fat...crunches, leg raises and bicycles will help strengthen and shape your core.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen they say. My tummy is my trouble area too. It Really takes a lot of discipline if that's where you store fat. Basically you need diet and cardio for fat loss and just abs work a few times per week with strength training.
  • Alicja_W
    Alicja_W Posts: 169
    Options
    burn the fat off by restricting calories and burning calories. sit-ups don't burn that many calories, and they will more likely give you a stiff neck than a flat stomach.

ii dont reqlly want to burn calories, its more about getting muscles, but thanx for advice :flowerforyou:
  • missy_1975
    missy_1975 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit, strength training and Jillian Michael's 6 week 6 pack.
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    In 99% of cases losing fat is what is needed to see your abs. If you see them, but don't like them, only then will abdominal exercises help.

Some core (abs) exercises I like: Bicycle Crunch, Plank, Side Plank, Ab Wheel, Unilateral (one-arm) Bench Press, L-Sit
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen they say. My tummy is my trouble area too. It Really takes a lot of discipline if that's where you store fat. Basically you need diet and cardio for fat loss and just abs work a few times per week with strength training.

^ this. Diet is 99% of it. Heavy squats and deadlifts do a good job as well
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    My trainer is using "explosive" movements to kill my belly fat. Things like squatting with a kettle ball and then exploding up and lifting the ball over your head before going down for the next squat. Push ups and pull ups also use multiple muscles.

You can't focus on your belly - so go for exercises that use a lot of muscles. +1 on Pilates for back and core strength.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    1,000 burpees a day, it's known as the northsider's prison routine
  • Alicja_W
    Options
    In 99% of cases losing fat is what is needed to see your abs. If you see them, but don't like them, only then will abdominal exercises help.

Some core (abs) exercises I like: Bicycle Crunch, Plank, Side Plank, Ab Wheel, Unilateral (one-arm) Bench Press, L-Sit

I have really weak arms so plank is not an option just now, but ill try to do it :happy: a little bit longer everyday :tongue:

just now i'm able to do it for about 30 s :ohwell:
  • Alicja_W
    Options

I have really weak arms so plank is not an option just now, but ill try to do it :happy: a little bit longer everyday :tongue:

just now i'm able to do it for about 30 s :ohwell:
  • Alicja_W
    Options
    1,000 burpees a day, it's known as the northsider's prison routine

a 1,000 are you serious ?! i dont know if ill be able to do 100 :cry:
  • jillfrd
    jillfrd Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    holy crapola 1000 burpees? haha i had to do 20 the other day and nearly died. that said, burpees are pretty much the best excercise ever...cardio, strength, works pretty much every muscle in your body!!

like the others all said, you need to burn the fat away so you can actaully see the muscle so starting with cardio like running, swimming and then add in ab specific exercises.

also one thing alot of people forget-whatever you do to your abs make sure you also do to your back!! Look at alot of swimmers who are almost hunched over, their abs are so strong and they don't have as good back muscles and they end up hunched. A lot of elite swimmers I used to know in high school all had terrible backs. so if you do say 100 situps, make sure you then do 100 supermans as well. (superman is when you lie on your tummy with your arms and legs our straight, then you lift your arms and legs off the ground and then relax and lower back to the ground).
  • myuva
    myuva Posts: 67
    Options
    What's a burpee ?
  • christinajohnson
    christinajohnson Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I really liked to change it up with belly dancing--the Shimmy series on fitTV is fun.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Planks, cardio, and lots of veggies. Plus, women aren't actually supposed to have "flat" stomachs because of how our lady parts are organized. :wink: I'm still trying to convince myself that part...