How long does it take to enter starvation mode?

Options
How many days must one undereat in order to enter starvation mode? Would going under 1200 calories for just one day send the body into starvation mode? (Not that I have any trouble eating, haha, I'm just curious!)

Replies

• peggybrant
    peggybrant Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I don't think one day is gonna do it.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    No, one day will not do it. You have to eat below 1200 consistently. As for how long, it depends on how much fat you have. The more fat you have, the easier your body will deal with deficits, and the longer it would take you to reach starvation mode.
  • Belle_Fille
    Options
    No, one day will not do it. You have to eat below 1200 consistently. As for how long, it depends on how much fat you have. The more fat you have, the easier your body will deal with deficits, and the longer it would take you to reach starvation mode.

what he said^^^
  • bekdavis
    bekdavis Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    great topic!!! thanks for the post. I have lots of fat. hee!
  • aschroyer
    Options
    I was curious because I have seen alot of people asking this question and warning me about it. So I found a link that may help.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1574882/starvation_mode_dispelling_the_myths.html?cat=5
  • tiffsNEWlife
    Options

Well put!! Thank you!
  • Nysie5
    Nysie5 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    thanks for the that article, cleared things up!
  • LittleMissAngi
    LittleMissAngi Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Good to know.

I hate that little notice if I don't eat enough, I feel like it's yelling at me!

haha!!!!
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I was curious because I have seen alot of people asking this question and warning me about it. So I found a link that may help.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1574882/starvation_mode_dispelling_the_myths.html?cat=5

That article didn't impress me much. It was short on research and high on "this should be common sense". When you have to quote a study from 1944 to try to prove your point, it's not usually a very strong one.

I've seen a lot more evidence that points to starvation mode causing the body to stop losing weight entirely.
  • RosieGB33nz
    Options
    If we eat it 12,000 calories everyday even with exercising, does this mean we wont go into staravation mode..... it tells me that i will go into starvation mode if i dont eat my exercise calories as well as the 1245 im to eath a day....
  • Ange_
    Ange_ Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    There are some people that think you can stop your body going into starvation mode by 'swinging' how much you eat each day over a week period. I've read articles that recommend going under your calorie goal by 200 calories 2 days a week, over by 200 calories 2 days a week and the rest your average calorie goal. The overall week consumption is then what you are aiming for anyway and the nice thing is that you can make the weekends your extra calorie days.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I personally don't believe in starvation mode as many believe it to be.

Starvation mode is Anorexia.
  • LikeNoOneElse84
    LikeNoOneElse84 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the article
  • mrman44445
    mrman44445 Posts: 20
    Options
    for me takes 10 mintues hahaha
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options

This
  • CraigIW
    CraigIW Posts: 176
    Options

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This!
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    There are some people that think you can stop your body going into starvation mode by 'swinging' how much you eat each day over a week period. I've read articles that recommend going under your calorie goal by 200 calories 2 days a week, over by 200 calories 2 days a week and the rest your average calorie goal. The overall week consumption is then what you are aiming for anyway and the nice thing is that you can make the weekends your extra calorie days.

This isn't starvation mode, this is stagnating. If you body gets used to something, it adapts and maintains.
  • Malvarez2013
    Malvarez2013 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Here is an article that will answer all questions about starvation mode. http://caloriecount.about.com/forums/weight-loss/truth-starvation-mode
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Here is an article that will answer all questions about starvation mode. http://caloriecount.about.com/forums/weight-loss/truth-starvation-mode

I followed the link from this to the study about how starvation affected test subjects psychologically and it was scary as all get out. :/
  • Boring2Fit
    Options

You cannot assume that someone has Anorexia because they ate less than 1200 calories. I can understand your point but anorexia can be a very severe mental health issue