Swelling

Options
Okay so I went for a walk today and went over 4 miles. About half way through my hands started feeling tight and swelled up and it looked like I had little sausages for fingers. I came home and took a shower and it is gone. Anyone know why that happened? It has never happened before when I exercise.

Replies

• naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Okay so I went for a walk today and went over 4 miles. About half way through my hands started feeling tight and swelled up and it looked like I had little sausages for fingers. I came home and took a shower and it is gone. Anyone know why that happened? It has never happened before when I exercise.
  • LightenUp_Caro
    LightenUp_Caro Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I have no idea why this happens, but sometimes I have the same thing. I've noticed that when it's exceptionally humid outside it's worse.

sorry, no answers, but at least you're not the only one!
    :wink:
  • ma9321
    ma9321 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Same thing has happened to me.
    I wonder myself....
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    I have this too, usually I haven't been drinking enough water, it's hot and humid and time of month plays a huge role!
  • Ileanak
    Ileanak Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    It is a form of edema. Here is an exerpt from the Mayo Clinic Website

from Edward R. Laskowski, M.D.
    Hand swelling during exercise is a fairly common problem. Unfortunately, the cause usually isn't clear.

During exercise, your heart may redirect blood from your hands to the exercising muscles. This cools your hands. In turn, the blood vessels in your hands may overreact — which could lead to more blood flow in your hands and possible hand swelling. Hand swelling during exercise is unlikely to be caused by an electrolyte imbalance, weather conditions or drinking excess water.

There's no proven way to prevent or reduce hand swelling during exercise. Before you exercise, you may want to remove your rings and loosen your watchband. During exercise, it may help to do occasional forward and backward arm circles. You might also stretch your fingers and then make fists several times during exercise.
  • Lillybelle1889
    Lillybelle1889 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My hands and feet have always done that, even since I was little and they get really hot. I don't know why it happens but its usually when I am standing for extended periods of time, i get hot or nervous. I don't know why though but it has never caused me any real problems.
  • 00Angela00
    00Angela00 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    It is a form of edema. Here is an exerpt from the Mayo Clinic Website

from Edward R. Laskowski, M.D.
    Hand swelling during exercise is a fairly common problem. Unfortunately, the cause usually isn't clear.

During exercise, your heart may redirect blood from your hands to the exercising muscles. This cools your hands. In turn, the blood vessels in your hands may overreact — which could lead to more blood flow in your hands and possible hand swelling. Hand swelling during exercise is unlikely to be caused by an electrolyte imbalance, weather conditions or drinking excess water.

There's no proven way to prevent or reduce hand swelling during exercise. Before you exercise, you may want to remove your rings and loosen your watchband. During exercise, it may help to do occasional forward and backward arm circles. You might also stretch your fingers and then make fists several times during exercise.

elevating helps swelling, so you can try resting your hands on your head for awhile as you walk. :-) SOunds silly but it will reduce it.
  • BillieBrink
    BillieBrink Posts: 15
    Options
    That happens to me and Ihave noticed that if I keep my elbows at a 90 degree angle and your hands in a fist it will not happen. That blood can't get down there and fill everything up that bad. :smooched:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    That happens to me and Ihave noticed that if I keep my elbows at a 90 degree angle and your hands in a fist it will not happen. That blood can't get down there and fill everything up that bad. :smooched:

I got info on the breast cancer 3-day walk, and they recommended this as a preventative measure. You don't have to clench your fists tight, just curled into a moderate grip. if you feel swelling start, then pump and squeeze the fists to reduce it.
  • PinkShoes
    PinkShoes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I go for runs/walks and that has started happening to me since the weather has gotten warmer. Fingers tend to swell when they're hot and shrink when they're cold. For example, when I wear rings, they are looser when I'm outside in the winter and my hands get cold...and they are tighter when I get hot in the summer. I'm not sure why exactly this happens though. But, it's pretty common and not serious...the swelling will go down when you start cooling down after your workout. Also, water can help with swelling...I don't know if it would help in this instance, but a little extra water never hurts! :smile:

133914.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting