P90X: The Proof Lies Here!

Options

Replies

• heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    hold up - not saying spence (hi there) got that hot bod by sitting on the couch. totally into people being on here to motivate others. i just got a bad vibe when i read the profile and it mentioned 'making money'.

granted, if you can make money this way, great! more power to you. but this forum is not the place for it, in MHO. ive seen others come and go trying to make a buck and i am leery - it is an open forum and anyone can post ...

The talk about money is about a contest that he won and another he's participating in. He's not even selling beachbody products. At least I didn't see a sales page on his blog.

I think we all know that anyone coming on here to halk (sp?) products isn't welcome, but I think Spence being on here as a good example of fitness, even if it means he makes a little, is great. After all, don't you think there are other fitness trainers on this site that we appreciate? And as soon as someone decides to use them because of their good name, does that make them a scam? And, guess what, I bet even Mike makes a little from the ads off this site. Does that make all of MFP a scam? I say he's legit as long as he's a good influence on the members here and not constantly shoving the business at people.

Good job Spence.

dont forget, i also said this in my post last night:

...that being said, spence, it seems like you are legit and i apologize for doubting you. you look great and i hope you do get some response here on mfp and can truly motivate others. i have seen other P90X threads and people seem to love it. one of my best friends uses it and she looks better than she ever has - known her since 99.
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    I have the P90X program and it works! Many people do this program without a coach. Some people find that having a coach keeps them on track. You can buy products through a coach or from Beachbody. The nice thing about the coaches is that they are living testimonials to the effectiveness of the BB products. They started out fat and weak. They transformed teir bodies through hard work and a good diet.

I am NOT a coach, just someone who likes P90X and BB in general. Currently I use the program from time to time to supplement my other workouts. I'm really considering doing the program again soon. My hat is off to anyone who has the drive to do this program.
  • dskline1
    dskline1 Posts: 123
    Options
    Great transformation Spence!! My hubby and I are looking into getting this program in the fall to get through the winter workout duldrum (sp?).....I see alot of info about p90x on this site and everyone seems very pleased!! I will be turning 40 soon and my goal is to be able to do 20 pull ups (I can only do 5 now:grumble: )....will definately need that for p90x!!! lol

Congrats on the little one!!!! You won't sleep now and you won't sleep when they are a teenager either....lol
  • hamton
    hamton Posts: 245
    Options
    Hi Spence. I've seen your progress pics before and they are impressive. I have no doubt you deserve to win the transformation challenge.

My question is how closely did you follow the program? Did you do anything else extra? I've noticed that most P90X users do a lot of other activities on the side on top of the P90X workout.

My 90 days is coming up next week with good results, but I don't have near the results you got.
    Good job.
  • spence8
    spence8 Posts: 32
    Options
    I followed the program very closely, especially during the first round. I stuck with all the proper ratios and took in the correct amount of calories that allowed me to burn fat quickly and build muscle. I actually did not do anything extra until the third phase, and that's because I didn't feel my body was ready for it before then. During the third phase, I decided to do some doubles, but that was only a few times a week and included some interval running.
  • spence8
    Options
    Hey dskline1!

If you are looking for a program to help you get into great shape, P90X is the way to go! It's very intense, and will help you develop muscles that you never even realized you had! Before the program, I had no idea I could develop my obliques, but then one day I was like "Whoa! Where did those come from!?" The most important part of any exercise program, however, is the diet. Getting ripped and strong depends on how you eat! P90X has created an excellent nutrition guide that has 3 phases, the first focusing on burning fat quickly, and the other two focusing more towards building muscle. I believe your goal of 20 pull-ups is highly attainable, considering I was only able to do 4 wide grips when I first started (30 now).
  • dskline1
    dskline1 Posts: 123
    Options
    Spence~
    I know...we are looking forward to checking it out once cooler weather comes and we can no longer enjoy our outdoor exercise activities...I agree with you 100% about the diet...coming from someone who never gave a crap about what she ate since weight was never an issue, but since I have uped my protein and am eating lean meats, veggies, eggs, yogurt, whole grain cereals and breads (for sandwiches only) and cheese, oh and my muscle milk....I feel almost invincible!! My bf% is 18.7% and am progressing towards more lean muscle mass with diet now (and strenghth training). Without the diet change, I would not have been able to build more lean mass and squash the fat...my pt said I lost the equivalent to 6-7 sticks of butter in one month...but, still a work in progress. I do have ripped contours in my arms and shoulders and my six pack is returning just focusing on my thighs now....the body is an amazing thing when you treat it right!!! It absolutely hated my *kitten* when I started this journey and I honestly think that it loves, loves, loves me now....heres to being able to reach my pull up goal!!!!

When you first started p90x..what was your biggest challenge??? What do you think a women's biggest challenge would be?
  • spence8
    Options
    Hey everyone!

I got a chance to do Chest & Back tonight, and also took some new pictures, one of them is to your left! :) I am very happy with the progress I have made in the last few months, where I have been focusing on increasing mass while keeping about 6% body fat. I have been constantly adjusting my diet to reach my goals, which is what you have to contantly do. Listening to your body is the most important part of any diet plan!

Well I am EXHAUSTED and heading to bed! Have a good night and I will be back tomorrow to check in!
  • spence8
    Options
    Updated pics posted at www.iwanttogetripped.com!
  • OriginalWhatTheHelen
    OriginalWhatTheHelen Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It is most definitely NOT a scam!! Just hard workouts and solid nutrition (and, no, there is nothing else to buy but the dvd's, some weights, resistance bands or a pullup bar.) You get out of it what you put into it.

I went from a too-tight 12 to a very comfortable size 4 with hard work and consistent nutrition over the course of a year. This is a program that works if you are willing to work.
  • spence8
    Options
    About to BRING IT with Kenpo Cardio Plus! I LOVE this workout!
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    We have an ongoing thread for P90X-ers. If you look for Sandy, she is also doing the P90X+ workout for the first time:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/52674-p90x-starting-a-new-thread
  • spence8
    Options
    Great! I will be over there to check it out and offer some advice!
  • jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Spence:
    I've been reading the threads on this board about P90x and I looked at your site. I've been looking for something effective that my husband will do with me. We both need to drop some pounds and get into shape.

My questions are: What equipment do we need to buy (other than the P90x DVDs)? I have weights from 1 - 15 lbs, but I don't know if those would work for my husband. What else does one need to do these workouts?

Also, we have a teeny-tiny apartment. Can these workouts be done in a tight space (I'm not kidding about tiny)? I think the living room is about 10x10. I'm hoping somehow we can work out together, but not sure we'll have the space. My fear is - my husband lacks motivation and won't workout without me.

Last: we're leaving for our dream vacation in exactly a month. Should we wait and start on our return? We're taking a 30 day trip - and I don't see how we could continue on the road. I've been working out to videos I have at home.

Ok, thanks!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    yummy-- er-- I mean, good job! :blushing:

:laugh: :laugh: Oh Marla, I am LMAO!!!
    (of course I was thinking the same thing:blushing: )

Good job son!!:drinker:
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    yummy-- er-- I mean, good job! :blushing:

:laugh: :laugh: Oh Marla, I am LMAO!!!
    (of course I was thinking the same thing:blushing: )

Good job son!!:drinker:

:bigsmile:
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    WOW....those are some results!
    A friend made me copies of the work out and by the 3rd exc. on the abdominal disk ...I think it was the reverse bicycle....I was about to die....
    this is no joke....not sure how, or if I should proceed.....this may be out of my league

Kim
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    WOW....those are some results!
    A friend made me copies of the work out and by the 3rd exc. on the abdominal disk ...I think it was the reverse bicycle....I was about to die....
    this is no joke....not sure how, or if I should proceed.....this may be out of my league

Kim

If you keep it up, you will start to catch up in a few weeks. I'm in Phase 2 and I just started to be able to keep up with ARX (ab ripper x).

Before I was able to keep up, I would play long enough to see the move, pause, do my 25 reps, press play, then rest while they finished their reps.

By the way, I was rediculously out of shape when I started. I went from sedentary, to a month of stretching and yoga, then jumped right into P90X. I'm starting Week 6 tomorrow and my photos show what happened in the first phase (30 days).
  • spence8
    Options
    Welcome to all the new people to the thread!

jlbay: You will need to get the Pull-Up Bar, which is important because there are a lot of workouts that involve it. A lot of women also like the resistance bands. However, I like the dumbbells better because I feel I get a better workout. Also, a 10X10 space should be enough to do the workouts, but it will be tough. The only workout that might cause a problem is Plyos, which involves a lot of jumping around. And whether you start now or after your vacation is completely up to you. I always say that the sooner you start the better! You are motivated enough so, so why not jump right in?

Kim: ARX is a very tough workout, and will take some time for you to get used to. But, like ghanie mentioned, it will get better as you progress each week. You just have to be patient! For now, though, make sure you complete every rep, even if it means you have to pause it 25 times! Always push yourself as much as possible as well. Tony is right when he says that a lot of people quit before they should because their mind is telling them they can't!
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the new people to the thread!

jlbay: You will need to get the Pull-Up Bar, which is important because there are a lot of workouts that involve it. A lot of women also like the resistance bands. However, I like the dumbbells better because I feel I get a better workout. Also, a 10X10 space should be enough to do the workouts, but it will be tough. The only workout that might cause a problem is Plyos, which involves a lot of jumping around. And whether you start now or after your vacation is completely up to you. I always say that the sooner you start the better! You are motivated enough so, so why not jump right in?

Kim: ARX is a very tough workout, and will take some time for you to get used to. But, like ghanie mentioned, it will get better as you progress each week. You just have to be patient! For now, though, make sure you complete every rep, even if it means you have to pause it 25 times! Always push yourself as much as possible as well. Tony is right when he says that a lot of people quit before they should because their mind is telling them they can't!

Thanks....
    I did finish the routine....I guess I felt a little discouraged it was so tough (if that make sense)
    I've been trying to get in better shape for the last year and a half and between the work outs I was doing, I was hoping I would have been more conditioned