Options

Replies

• nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Basic laundry recipe:

1/2 cup borax
    1/2 cup washing soda
    1 cup shredded laundry soap bar(fels-naptha, zote- or you can use regular bar soap like dove/ivory)

Just mix it all up in a lidded container and give it a good shake/stirring each use and I use a tablespoon for normal wash and 2 tablespoons for heavier soiled clothes.

what exactly is borax and washing soda and where do you buy it? how much does it cost?

I even tried this on nasty old towels that got all mildewy and it got them clean....plus you save a TON of money. Also, it is low sudsing so can be used safely in HE machines.
  • lilac67
    lilac67 Posts: 311
    Options

I GET MY MUSIC OFF YOUTUBE CONVERTER - F** PAYING ITUNES

Ha, yes, I do this too. Not because I'm cheap, just because I can ;)

What is a youtube converter, and how do I get one ??
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options

Google youtube converter.
  • snowfox92
    snowfox92 Posts: 100 Member
    Options

it makes it so you can get music from youtube into mp3 form into itunes. just go to google and type in youtube to mp3
  • nakabi
    Options
    I make my own laundry soap. I used cloth diapers for both of my children when they were babies. I don't buy pre-packaged foods very often, not out of concern for health, but because they're more expensive. I never use paper towels unless my mother is visiting. I don't use disposable menstrual products or anything else for which there is a reusable alternative.

And we're still broke. Just think how broke we'd be if I weren't so cheap!

We use cloth diapers too and we love them!!!!!!! Nothing cuter than a cloth diapered baby bum :)
    It saves us a ton of money and it's great for the environment. We also have never had any diaper rash which also saves money on diaper rash cremes.

I make all of our baby food (just blend whatever we eat and put it in ice-cube trays. Once frozen, just put the cubes into a freezer bag and it is the perfect portion.

I plan all my meals ahead for the week and that way I only use the oven once (if needed). It keeps the electric bill down. When I do use the oven, in the winter, after I've finished cooking, I keep the door open (safety gate is locked to the kitchen) and it helps warm the house for free :)

I buy most of our clothing at the consignment stores. I don't ever buy red meat if it's not on clearance. Just freeze it and it's perfectly fine.

Thanks for all your suggestions; I've enjoyed getting ideas. I might just have to check into making the laundry soup..hmmmmmm
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options

Thanks for all your suggestions; I've enjoyed getting ideas. I might just have to check into making the laundry soup..hmmmmmm

It's really easy. I used to make the liquid version, but the powdered works just as well, is easier to make, and takes up less storage space so you can make a bigger batch. My biggest suggestion though is to get a food processor that seals well and that you use ONLY for your detergent. When you grind up the soap the dust gets everywhere, in all the nooks and crannies, and you don't want that getting in your baby food.
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    One thing I've learned the hard way was...

if you run or jog, don't skimp on your shoes!!!
  • cassblue21
    Options
    bump
  • nakabi
    Options

It's really easy. I used to make the liquid version, but the powdered works just as well, is easier to make, and takes up less storage space so you can make a bigger batch. My biggest suggestion though is to get a food processor that seals well and that you use ONLY for your detergent. When you grind up the soap the dust gets everywhere, in all the nooks and crannies, and you don't want that getting in your baby food.

first of all, sorry for the typo. (that was supposed to be laundry soap, not soup haha)

how exactly do you make it? is it very time consuming? feel free to message me..thanks
  • Goldenbast
    Goldenbast Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Borax and washing soda can be found in the laundry detergent isle...borax is like 20 mule team and washing soda is made by arm and hammer...there may be other brands but those are the ones I know..I get it at walmart.
  • tea_and_tofu
    Options
    i never pay for my music.
    always duck tape things when they break.
    im always shopping in the clearance section for cloths. there is no way i can spend $30+ on jeans.
  • kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I don't have cable. Never have, probably never will.
  • lilac67
    lilac67 Posts: 311
    Options

it makes it so you can get music from youtube into mp3 form into itunes. just go to google and type in youtube to mp3

Thank you!! :flowerforyou:
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • amerr
    amerr Posts: 190
    Options
    Bump
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    these are so great!

i already use white vinegar for laundry, it's dye and perfume free too, so even really sensitive skin can handle it.

another thing i do is DL fanfiction to my kindle - it's free to convert and then i'm not paying for ebooks.

the youtube converter sounds AWESOME!! also a good way to get the older stuff!

thanks guys!!
  • catlady100
    Options
    I go to ereaderiq.com for free kindle books.
  • HotAndSpicy10
    Options
    Bump
  • mommyoverboard
    Options
    Rarely buy underwear for myself. I don't wear any with holes in them or anything, but I've had the same stuff for a LONG time LOL
  • plt55
    plt55 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    YUK