Cutting all flour based products for 2012

Options
Things like bread, pasta, rices, cake, cinnamon rolls- all the good stuff.
What are some good things I can eat to fill the hole in my heart? :]

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Things like bread, pasta, rices, cake, cinnamon rolls- all the good stuff.
    What are some good things I can eat to fill the hole in my heart? :]

Do you have some sort of metabolic disorder that is causing you to cut all these things out? If not, there is no reason you can't lose weight eating all the above
  • crystal84rose
    crystal84rose Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    You are a way stronger person than I am... I love bread too much to cut out all that stuff! Good work though!
  • CUT3ANDS3XIAN0R3X1
    Options
    No metabolic disorder. I had a conversation with a gentleman who has one, and according to him, weight literally fell off. To me, there is nothing wrong with substituting a hamburger bun with a leaf of lettuce, or just fighting to let go of the delicious carbs in mac and cheese. I like to try new things, and I feel like this is something I can do.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I am grain-free, but I still use non-grain flours to make things like pancakes, buns, etc. for occasional consumption. I guess the question is why you are cutting them out. Because processed foods trigger overeating? Are you looking for sweet or starchy substitutes? (And if so, are there other triggers that we need to be aware of?) Fill us in with a few more detals.

Pam
  • Acg67
    Options
    No metabolic disorder. I had a conversation with a gentleman who has one, and according to him, weight literally fell off. To me, there is nothing wrong with substituting a hamburger bun with a leaf of lettuce, or just fighting to let go of the delicious carbs in mac and cheese. I like to try new things, and I feel like this is something I can do.

Just to enlighten you, low carb diets have no metabolic advantage, any greater weightloss seen in low carb diets is water weight
  • Goldenbast
    Goldenbast Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    It may help the weight melt off, but at what price? A healthy, balanced diet should have grains, myplate.gov suggests a certain amount of grains and that half the total should be the whole wheat variety. I would research this idea a bit more, just to be on the safe side that there are no health risks associated with cutting out all flour products. Honestly? My diet is composed by following the myplate.gov guidelines and staying within or just under the calorie intake suggested here and I am dropping the weight off like crazy...but I have also started exercising almost every day so that may account for some of it...but just research your idea to make sure you are not missing out on a healthy building block of your nutrition.
  • CUT3ANDS3XIAN0R3X1
    Options
    I have certain neverending downfalls. I could probably sit and shove Olive Garden bread sticks down my throat all day, lol. Mac and cheese is seriously one of my favorite foods of all time. Even when full, these are examples of things I WILL NOT stop eating when they're in my presence. In my household, there is always something tempting, staring right at me saying "Amy...eat me, you know you want to." Usually, it is a delicious cupcake. I learned to tell it no, however, with an increasing amount of stress in my life, carbs are the perfect sort of therapy. I'm not looking for a specific type of substitute, it is only that breads and pastas were a big part of my life, and now that they're gone, I need some new things to try out.
  • elcieloesazul
    elcieloesazul Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I had a family member do it for about a year and she said she had never felt better. She did it as a sort of "cleanse," though, if you will. But, good for you for trying new things. I hope it works out!
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Did he have a gluten intolerance? That's the only reason I can think of that would cause such a response.

I'm totally gluten free, rice cakes and homemade gluten-free breads are delicious.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I have eliminated whole groups of 'trigger' foods in the past, and it can help. I went sugar-free a couple of years ago, and my sweet tooth still hasn't come back. If refined flour products are things that just keep you eating beyond a reasonable point, I see no harm in getting rid of them, at least for a while.
  • pkarim
    pkarim Posts: 171
    Options
    I was hoping to try Paleo for the entire month of January I know many people that have done it and now it is their lifestyle. They still eat pancakes and waffles but they make them out of almond or coconut flour. I am really excited so lets see how it goes. You may also be interested in this study http://www.standard.net/stories/2011/12/20/studies-low-carb-diet-superior-low-calorie
  • RonneyKay
    RonneyKay Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I know I just feel better when I dont eat processed food. When I do eat it, i get stomach upset, bloating, and tired, I just don't feel good. But I continue to try my best to keep a balanced diet.
  • shellyc7182
    shellyc7182 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I have certain neverending downfalls. I could probably sit and shove Olive Garden bread sticks down my throat all day, lol. Mac and cheese is seriously one of my favorite foods of all time. Even when full, these are examples of things I WILL NOT stop eating when they're in my presence.

That's entirely the point of MFP though. You shouldn't have to deprive yourself of things you obviously love (it's M&M's and popcorn for me), just exercise a little restraint with them. I couldn't go without carbs/grains/flour products... I love bread. And pasta. And rice. And cupcakes! :happy:
  • KellyAnneH
    KellyAnneH Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I eat very little sugar and limit my grains to 2-4 servings a day and pretty much only eat whole grains at that, but don't think I could eliminate them entirely unless I had a serious health issue that required it. What about just switching to whole grains only? That would get rid of most of your trigger foods. (I could eat white flour stuff ALL day long, but I know what I'd feel like...)
  • Acg67
    Options
    I was hoping to try Paleo for the entire month of January I know many people that have done it and now it is their lifestyle. They still eat pancakes and waffles but they make them out of almond or coconut flour. I am really excited so lets see how it goes. You may also be interested in this study http://www.standard.net/stories/2011/12/20/studies-low-carb-diet-superior-low-calorie

Do you happen to have the study in question? the only published one by the author quoted in the article was this one;

The effects of intermittent or continuous energy restriction on weight loss and metabolic disease risk markers: a randomised trial in young overweight women. Int J Obes (Lond). 2011 May; 35(5): 714–727.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3017674/?tool=pubmed
    The CER group were prescribed a daily 25% restriction based on a Mediterranean type diet (30% fat, 15% monounsaturated, 7% saturated fat, 7% polyunsaturated fatty acids, 45% low glycaemic load carbohydrate, and 25% protein) (29). The IER group were asked to undertake a VLCD (75% restriction) on 2 consecutive days and to consume estimated requirements for weight maintenance for the remaining 5 days according to the nutrient composition above.

Weight loss was similar in both diets

?report=previmg
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I do it for the simple reason that most things that contain that are high-calorie and are huge portion-wise.

Check the weight on pasta you get in a restaurant and try tellin me it's actually one portion.

Same goes with bread and, baked goods. Volume-wise you're getting very little for the amount you're actually eating.

Compare a dinner roll around 100-150 calories to a cup of fresh berries at 50 calories.

You could go on and on.

'everything in moderation' i guess. But for me, its easier to cut that junk out and save 300-400 fairly empty calories a day.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Oh, and for anyone wanting to argue, check the nutritional info at any popular restaurant. Olive gardens pastas weigh in at 1200-1500 calories a dish. Being mostly flour based, its safe to say you dont' want all your calories to come from one meal.

Their rolls and breadsticks start off around 150 calories each, eat 2 or 3 of them and its nearly a third of what most of you on here should be eating.

Again, its pretty easy to avoid that stuff.

Or eat it every day, and workout for an extra 2 hours................................................................
  • Momkat65
    Momkat65 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    try spaghetti squash and /or miracle noodles to replace your pasta
  • pkarim
    pkarim Posts: 171
    Options

Do you happen to have the study in question? the only published one by the author quoted in the article was this one;

The effects of intermittent or continuous energy restriction on weight loss and metabolic disease risk markers: a randomised trial in young overweight women. Int J Obes (Lond). 2011 May; 35(5): 714–727.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3017674/?tool=pubmed
    The CER group were prescribed a daily 25% restriction based on a Mediterranean type diet (30% fat, 15% monounsaturated, 7% saturated fat, 7% polyunsaturated fatty acids, 45% low glycaemic load carbohydrate, and 25% protein) (29). The IER group were asked to undertake a VLCD (75% restriction) on 2 consecutive days and to consume estimated requirements for weight maintenance for the remaining 5 days according to the nutrient composition above.

Weight loss was similar in both diets

?report=previmg

Sure http://www.aacr.org/home/public--media/aacr-press-releases.aspx?d=2649
    it is also found in a medical journal but i don't remember which one but you can look it up through the link :)
  • ObviousIndigo
    ObviousIndigo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Almond flour/meal makes a great substitute for baking. There a a lot of recipes online. pretty much if you type something into google with almond flour in it there will be a recipe. You have to be careful though as it is very calorie dense:)