your thoughts on whey protein shakes...good or bad for you?

Options

Replies

• repoman150
    repoman150 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I take Muscle Feast Brand Whey in the morning and after my workouts....dont think it will help with weight loss per se, but it does speed up recovery time after working out.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    ]I've heard it makes you fat unlike those other ones in the red container you get from GNC. Maybe it is just the prepared kind that makes you fat.

Frankly, too much of anything is going to make you fat, no matter how nutritious it is.

You might ask whoever made that comment as to "why" they think it makes you fat.

Perhaps because it isn't very filling or it tastes really great, and you'll drink like 4 of them, about 2000 calories worth, in one setting? Or the guy at GNC selling the product was explaining how the more expensive one was better for you, but this other makes you fat?

Now that is a reason. But in and of themselves, they won't make someone fat.

Every time I go to GNC they try and steer me away from Muscle Milk. They've told me all kinds of stuff about Muscle Milk - because they want you to buy THEIR products!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Supplement!

So if you dont eat what you need macro wise then take the supplement!

ON Gold standard is the best for your buck IMO.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    It's convenient, and consistant, and can help you reach whatever goal you have. Gaining mass or losing weight.

You never have to calculate nutrition, weigh or guess about the calories.

Unlike the majority of food people intake. Even restaurant portions and dishes vary, and can be way off what they list.

I for one am a big fan of them for the first reasons I mentioned.

Oh, and if prepared properly they can be substitued into other dishes, meals, desserts, etc.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    Ive started drinking whey protein shakes as a meal supplement to help me with my weight loss. I was wondering if anyone else has tried this or if they have any information if it helps lose weight.
    So are you using it as a replacement for a meal or to supplement your protein intake? There's a difference.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    yea this one has only 140 calories and only 2 grams of protein and low in sugar and i use 0% milk to mix it with

Wait!

This "protein shake" has only 2 grams of protein?

Hate to tell, you, that is not a protein shake, no matter what the labeling is trying to say.

Agreed, that's definitely not a protein shake! Weird!

My protein shake (Allmax whey isolate) has 27g of protein and only 111cals per scoop.
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I use them as breakfast replacements. They are yummy, keep me full and help with recovery. I try to add veggies and such to some too so it is not just powder and milk.
  • mkath4
    mkath4 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I drink a protein shake after I workout. I was looking for one high in protein and fairly low calories. I am now drinking Jillian Michael's Whey Protein. It has 15 grams of protein and 100 calories per scoup. I scoup mixed with 8 oz of water.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I need to add more blood into my protein stream lol. Protein shakes rule!
  • sunflower_yogi
    sunflower_yogi Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    regarding Muscle Milk...i personally steer clear of it because i do not like the taste (and aftertaste) at all, and i also am not a fan of such long ingredients lists.
  • katythemommy
    katythemommy Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    regarding Muscle Milk...i personally steer clear of it because i do not like the taste (and aftertaste) at all, and i also am not a fan of such long ingredients lists.

That was my concern with so many protein powders. I've started using BioChem 100% Whey Protein which only has a few ingredients.

I mix my protein powder with ground flax seeds, whatever fruit I have on hand, greek yogurt and handful of spinach or kale - that's my breakfast most mornings!
  • jeninabilan
    jeninabilan Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    AMAZING! I would not survive without my protein shakes!!! Add some peanut butter to a chocolate shake or avocado to a vanilla shake! love love love it! You will feel a huge difference in your energy level by upping your protein intake. If you want a meal replacement, protein shakes are a million times better than meal replacement shakes for you. Less sugar, carbs and fat!
  • coberleyc
    Options
    I love using the whey protein shakes as a snack or meal replacement they keep me so full that I wont even be hungry for my next meal :)
  • tonyamc1234
    Options
    yea this one has only 140 calories and only 2 grams of protein and low in sugar and i use 0% milk to mix it with

Wait!

This "protein shake" has only 2 grams of protein?

Hate to tell, you, that is not a protein shake, no matter what the labeling is trying to say. I'm not sure how they are reaching 140 calories if it is low in sugar, unless you are comparing sugar to like fruit juice or pop.

If you want a decent meal replacement that is higher in protein than in carbs, and decent amount of fat, to fill you up for 3-4 hrs, then try Six Star Pro Nutrition - Muscle Building Milk Shake (confirm it's the shake version since they make other protein drinks) - 3 different flavors.

And it mixes great with water, so should mix well with your skim milk, though you don't need to.
    Oh, and you can get it at Walmart, if your local carries it.

lol sorry i meant 2 grams of carbs but it has 27 grams of protein per scoop and you can use 2 scoops per drink but i only use one
  • tonyamc1234
    Options
    Ive started drinking whey protein shakes as a meal supplement to help me with my weight loss. I was wondering if anyone else has tried this or if they have any information if it helps lose weight.
    So are you using it as a replacement for a meal or to supplement your protein intake? There's a difference.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

using it as a meal replacement mostly
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Muscle milk has a lot of calories for the amount of protein it has, that's my personal reason for avoiding it. I prefer a whey protein isolate. I use shakes to recover after exercise, but mostly I prefer to save my calories for food.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Muscle milk has a lot of calories for the amount of protein it has, that's my personal reason for avoiding it. I prefer a whey protein isolate. I use shakes to recover after exercise, but mostly I prefer to save my calories for food.

Muscle milk is over priced over hyped and it tastes like @$$ imo :)
  • rayleansout
    Options
    Their great to supplement protein but work best as a meal replacement if you add a fibrous low glycemic carb like an apple or even 8 strawberries. Don't depend on them for most of your meals, whole foods burn more calories to digest.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    My Dr and I think that whey protein created my last round of kidney stones.
  • thitch2013
    Options
    Im doing the 90 day challenge with Visalus and having 2 shakes a day and have lost 18 pounds effortlessly so gonna mix some zumba in with that and watch out !! lol have TONS of energy too !!